Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

221 - 240 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

The discussion regarding an 18 game schedule is almost certainly related to managing conference rpi effectively. They are likely trying to limit the number of times each season that A10 teams have to play road OOC games against sub 100, and especially sub 150, rpi teams. With the top 10 confrences generally moving to 18 game conference schedules there will be fewer opportunites for A10 teams to schedule rpi enhancing OOC games. Most A10 teams can't afford to buy large numbers of home OOC games which means going on the road and risking losing games against teams that will badly hurt the conference rpi in the event of a loss. The power conference teams don't have to take that risk since they just buy home OOC wins and it's in the A10's interest to do what they can to mitigate that risk since they don't have the option of buying their way out of it. The A10 will be better off playing two additional games against each other than losing on the road against mediocre teams from one bid conferences. Also, you can count on the conference scheduling so as to maximize the number of times that the anticipated top teams in the conference for a given season play each other to increase opportunites for top 50 and top 100 rpi wins.
That is the idea, but without doing the math I would think that having more teams play last year's Fordham, for instance, would hurt our RPI quite a bit. Perhaps it does not hurt as much as I think it would. My hope too, of course, is that Fordham never has a record like that again and begins some serious improvement and bad years become .500.

I also think that for programs that have a few yearly, practically required OOC games that it gives them less chance at attractive games and some of the "sure win" games some programs need. St. Joe's and La Salle now have to play 3 OOC Big 5 games insted of 2. Take away 2 OOC games and they now have 3 less OOC games to play with. Not having looked at your schedules close enough, perhaps that is a good thing.

Several coaches objected last time this came up for discussion, but I believe most of them are gone.

·
Registered
606 Posts
re: 2016-17 Davidson Wildcats

Welcome to Davidson.
We went 22 years without a cat or dog in this conference, and now we're replacing a dog with a cat. Hope this one works out better.

·
Registered
246 Posts

I have yet to see a solid reason from a Mason fan that supports Charleston. All I see is "Its a nice place to visit"
My understanding is that recently they've consistently had a higher RPI than a number of A10 teams. They are also pumping money into basketball. And Charleston is the best city in the U.S. And more teams will be leaving the A10.

May as well attract suitors while the brand is strong.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Davidson College Wildcats
School: Private (loose affiliation with the Presbyterian Church)
Enrollment: 1,756 Undergraduates
Market: Davidson, NC pop-10,944 - 20 miles north of Charlotte (Charlotte MSA: 1,758,038 - 33rd nationally)
Home: 5,223 seat Belk Arena (on campus)
2012-13 Attendance: averaged 3,941 for 13 games (for 26-8 team)
Sounds a lot like Bonaventure. They even have less undergrads, it will be sad not being the smallest school in the a10.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I was joking.

Charleston is an awesome city, but that's obviously no reason to bring the school into the A-10.
I have found on this site that most of the readers can not understand when you are obviously making a statement in jest or being serious.

Lighten up folks.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

What I think (hope) the A10 eventually settles in with

North:

Siena
St. Bonnie
UMass
URI
Fordham
Duquense
St. Joe's/LaSalle

South:

VCU
Richmond
Davidson
George Mason
George Washington
Charleston
St. Joe's/LaSalle

St. Joe's/LaSalle break up to balance the divisions. St. Louis and Dayton in the Big East. Of course Richmond could sub for Dayton.

Conference schedule would be 18 games - you play home and home with everyone in your division but one team only once (rotated) and everyone once in the other division (rotate year to year who's home and away)

Is this realistic going forward down the road??

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

if Dayton and SLU leave I see the A10 staying at 12

·
Registered
3,232 Posts

I have found on this site internet that most of the readers can not understand when you are obviously making a statement in jest or being serious.

Lighten up folks.
FTFY.

Just add wink or something to let people know you are kidding. Sarcasm does not always work in written form. I feel like I have been typing that ever since Al Gore invented the internet. ;)

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

What I think (hope) the A10 eventually settles in with

North:

Siena
St. Bonnie
UMass
URI
Fordham
Duquense
St. Joe's/LaSalle

South:

VCU
Richmond
Davidson
George Mason
George Washington
Charleston
St. Joe's/LaSalle
I could get on board with that league, but still think 12 would be the ideal number. That doesn't mean the powers that be don't want 14 for some reason. In a divisional format with 14, how would an 18-game slate make sense? They probably wouldn't have divisions and go back to each team playing three schools home/home.

·
Registered
960 Posts

I could get on board with that league, but still think 12 would be the ideal number. That doesn't mean the powers that be don't want 14 for some reason. In a divisional format with 14, how would an 18-game slate make sense? They probably wouldn't have divisions and go back to each team playing three schools home/home.
More schools = more eyeballs looking at TV's = more $. And, 16 has just proven to be unwieldy in the long-run (see the WAC and Big East). So, 14 is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts

In a divisional format with 14, how would an 18-game slate make sense? They probably wouldn't have divisions and go back to each team playing three schools home/home.
I think the past has proven that the A10 will not go with divisions with a 14 team conference. With 12 it makes sense if you play a 16 game schedule.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Yeah, not sure the point of this but anyway.

Glad to have them on board. Was one of the schools I wanted.
Yeah, not like any VCU fans have ever criticized the attendance of another school in their town, which also has a small undergrad population like Davidson or anything...

Welcome to Davidson. We owe you from last year.

·
Registered
630 Posts

Welcome Davidson!

Remains to be seen if you will ever play a conference game vs UD, or StL or UR

221 - 240 of 454 Posts