Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 454 Posts

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

The CAA is conference realignment's whipping boy the past couple of offseasons.

Taking public blows left and right.
Couldn't happen to a nicer conference commissioner. Aww shucks.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts

Sure, just as any program could when their coach leaves.

It's a risk you take. They've been to 5 of the last 8 NCAA tournaments and took Marquette to the wire just as Butler did this year. Stephen Curry, Elite 8 in 2008 etc. etc.
Davidson when McKillop retires is a bit different than most other programs when their coach leaves. McKillop will be entering his 25th season as Davidson's head coach. That is not your typical replacement. He will e 63 in July and there is nothing that says he has to retire when he reaches 65, so hopefully he sticks around for a good number of year more.

·
6,271 Posts

I'm crushed but Siena has nobody to blame for this but themselves hiring a bum like Mitch Buonaguro.......

What happened to Siena being the next team in?
if you read the above link it states talks are still going on

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

Davidson when McKillop retires is a bit different than most other programs when their coach leaves. McKillop will be entering his 25th season as Davidson's head coach. That is not your typical replacement. He will e 63 in July and there is nothing that says he has to retire when he reaches 65, so hopefully he sticks around for a good number of year more.
Good point, I have faith he'll be around for awhile. Even if that's not the case, he's built a pretty solid program at Davidson and the increased A-10 profile would really help them attract a good coach I'd think.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts

Now that it appears Davidson is on board, I'm not sure how it would make sense to add anyone else for the time being. If SLU and UD wind up going to the Big East, then we should just sit at 12. Also, it doesn't appear as if UMass has anywhere to go and 1-A football may stop making financial sense if that's the case. I suppose the Big East could choose only one of SLU/UD along with Wichita State. In that case, though, I'd prefer Charleston.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

Between Patsos saying publicly that Siena might be joining the A-10 on-air and Goodman reporting that Siena is under consideration, it looks like they're a candidate.

I agree that the numbers work out well right now though. It certainly looks like Siena is the next in line though.

Charleston's 1 million dollar exit fee is probably a bit of a deterrent for them.

·
Registered
108 Posts

if you read the above link it states talks are still going on
What Does Sienna bring to the A10? They had six losing seasons out of the past ten. OK! The have a very nice public arena for home games in Albany.we need to get over this fascination with arena size and look for quality teams to replace the quality teams we lost; Temple, Xavier, Butler. If we don't thnk big we will soon be a low mid- major conferemce

I like the Davidson possibility along with George Mason

·
Registered
727 Posts

Siena will be in.. The A-10 will seems to be destined for 14 schools... 12 schools doesn't seem to be in the cards..

Dayton and STL will be gone and Siena and Iona/Fairfield will hop in..

All the conferences seem to want to grow to 16 schools.. Not saying that is best for basketball conferences..

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

I'd rather have Charleston than Iona/Fairfield, but that's just me.

If we add 2 and SLU and Dayton leave, I'd go with Siena in the north and Charleston in the South and go to divisional play.

North:

St. Bonaventure
Siena
UMass
Duquesne
Rhode Island
Fordham
La Salle

South:

St. Joe's
George Washington
George Mason
VCU
Richmond
Davidson
Charleston

...or something like that. Would much rather keep SLU and Dayton, but we'll see how it goes.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts

Congrats Davidson and the rest of the A-10! This is fantastic! This makes up for the previous move!

Also I have been told by a reputable source that should Dayton, SLU, and UMass leave in the future, they are considering a list of 5 candidates to replace them, in no particular order:

Siena
Florida Gulf Coast
Northeastern
Belmont
Campbell

It's no secret who I hope gets the invite.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts

What Does Sienna bring to the A10? They had six losing seasons out of the past ten. OK! The have a very nice public arena for home games in Albany.we need to get over this fascination with arena size and look for quality teams to replace the quality teams we lost; Temple, Xavier, Butler. If we don't thnk big we will soon be a low mid- major conferemce

I like the Davidson possibility along with George Mason
It is not just arena size. They have a large fanbase and do a good job filling their arena as their average attendance is better than most A-10 members. They are also the dominant team in a fairly large metro area with little competition as it has no top pro level teams. Furthermore they have had bouts of success under numerous coaches. Unfortunately for them, their last hire was not a good choice.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Maybe they'll have a clause in their contract that can give them the boot if they don't perform. But we'll never be a low mid-major because a bunch of other mid-majors would have to jump over us for that to happen, and there aren't many or any out there.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts

I'd rather have Charleston than Iona/Fairfield, but that's just me.

If we add 2 and SLU and Dayton leave, I'd go with Siena in the north and Charleston in the South and go to divisional play.

North:

St. Bonaventure
Siena
UMass
Duquesne
Rhode Island
Fordham
La Salle

South:

St. Joe's
George Washington
George Mason
VCU
Richmond
Davidson
Charleston

...or something like that. Would much rather keep SLU and Dayton, but we'll see how it goes.
How would that divisional play work? Would you play the teams in your division once and then 4 from the other division for 16 game schedule? 6 from the other division for an 18 game schedule?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts

Ha, ha. That is why I did not reply to you last night when I first read it, I wanted to make sure I was thinking about it right, so I waited until morning.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Addition doesn't seem to make alot of sense if Dayton and/or SLU are around for a while. I'm not sure its necessary even if it turns out its SLU and Richmond going to the BE. Assuming at least two of the three schools (UD, UR SLU) are going in short order, then I think the A-10 needs to adopt a structure similar to that posted bu District Baller. What you want is home and home games with natural rivals. Fourteen is a harder number of teams to work with. I think 12 or 16 (4 pods 4 teams each) would be better.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Does anyone know WTF this guy is talking about?

Michael DeCourcy ‏@tsnmike 12h
Of all the conference realignment we've seen, can't imagine one that runs more counter to nature of the institution than Davidson to A10.

From an academic point of view they are joining Fordham, GW, Richmond at the high level. Impressive company without question.

21 - 40 of 454 Posts