Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Addition doesn't seem to make alot of sense if Dayton and/or SLU are around for a while. I'm not sure its necessary even if it turns out its SLU and Richmond going to the BE. Assuming at least two of the three schools (UD, UR SLU) are going in short order, then I think the A-10 needs to adopt a structure similar to that posted bu District Baller. What you want is home and home games with natural rivals. Fourteen is a harder number of teams to work with. I think 12 or 16 (4 pods 4 teams each) would be better.
I believe that Dayton will be the school added with STL..

The new "Big East" is really a midwestern based basketball conference.. Georgetown is not the powerful dog that the media or they are portrayed out to be.. They are a victim to their doing, they needed more money than they were getting from the Big East and they were losing their big ticket schools and the big media giant, ESPN.. They needed to look out for themselves and rightfully so....

They created a conference with the Midwestern based schools for that money.. Fox comes along and bids against themselves to pay these an amazing large amount of money that by in large isn't warranted.. and was not in the same ballpark as NBC Sports, CBS, etc (I do not have a credible article where ESPN even bid for the conference TV rights)..

But when you have Xavier, Butler, DePaul, Marquette, Creighton all in the midwest and considering their considerably more successful track records especially compared to the underwhelming eastern group... You have to think the midwest will have the influence in a vote.. In addition, for a school like Providence, I would actually wonder which was the quicker flight to Dayton or Richmond. The conference is too small at 10 or 12 and is very regionally compact to have to worry about separating into groups and with their sizable Fox checks flying costs shouldn't be a concern. You can make the argument that Dayton would actually be at the center of the conference with STL, Creighton, Marquette setting the Western flank.

The A-10 will be fine. The A-10 commissioner has been very well with the cards that she had been dealt.. There is only so much in her control but from the VCU and Butler additions to the GMU and Davidson additions this summer, with more on the way, she has shown the ability to lead. An even a bigger boost is the confidence that the University's Presidents have in her. I haven't received confirmation yet on who pressed who on removing Charleston from Davidson's demands so I can't give credit just yet to her if she was able to talk down Davidson.

I know some will say that Davidson is SoCon good and their RPI isn't that good.. But their RPI was destroyed by playing in that conference.. They seem to attract mid-level, undervalued recruits consistently and have a wealthy base/endowment to the school. Heck in a "down year" for Davidson in which they still made the Tourney, they should have beaten Marquette, the new Big East's longest tournament survivor, if it weren't for a last minute meltdown.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

Does anyone know WTF this guy is talking about?

Michael DeCourcy ‏@tsnmike 12h
Of all the conference realignment we've seen, can't imagine one that runs more counter to nature of the institution than Davidson to A10.

From an academic point of view they are joining Fordham, GW, Richmond at the high level. Impressive company without question.
Perhaps that they are a small liberal arts college with an enrollment less than 2,000 whereas the others you mention are universities with larger enrollments. Davidson is really a great fit for the Patriot League when it comes to profile and if we were to ignore location. I could see the move to the A10 being a catalyst for growth for Davidson though.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Perhaps that they are a small liberal arts college with an enrollment less than 2,000 whereas the others you mention are universities with larger enrollments. Davidson is really a great fit for the Patriot League when it comes to profile and if we were to ignore location. I could see the move to the A10 being a catalyst for growth for Davidson though.
They have the money to grow. Half a billion in the coffers and, that excludes, a recent $50 million gift from the Duke endowment fund..

·
Registered
3,625 Posts

I literally do not care much for the ongoing DIRECTION of the league. As a fan of one of the northern most schools, I don't really like the southern strategy that seemes to be getting pushed by McGlade. She moved the League Headquarters from Philadelphia to the the VA tidewater area and if Davidson joins the A-10, the three newest A-10 members will all be from Va and NC (VCU, GMU, and Davidson). I am not necessarily opposed to seeing southern members added. I would however like to see a more geographically balanced approach to new membership and not a wholesale move in one direction.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

It's Mike DeCourcy he's fifty-fifty. 50% makes sense, 50% makes no sense.

If he's tweeting, with no chance to expand, make that 20-80.

Not sure of the academic profiles of all the SoCon but I think they are far ranging. Furman in there? Very good. App. State? Ummm... not as good as Furman. So not sure that's the critique.

That conference appears to be shredded and on the bottom of the totem pole. Davidson is being proactive, so if it's a question of upgrading it's better to spend more then be left behind. If DeCourcy is suggesting they won't, then hopefully, let's all cross our fingers that after McKillop leaves they won't become a southern anchor.

·
Registered
727 Posts

I literally do not care much for the ongoing DIRECTION of the league. As a fan of one of the northern most schools, I don't really like the southern strategy that seemes to be getting pushed by McGlade. She moved the League Headquarters from Philadelphia to the the VA tidewater area and if Davidson joins the A-10, the three newest A-10 members will all be from Va and NC (VCU, GMU, and Davidson). I am not necessarily opposed to seeing southern members added. I would however like to see a more geographically balanced approach to new membership and not a wholesale move in one direction.
It is not a Southern move... The Conference President's are making an Eastern move..

They see the writing on the wall.. Siena is in the North and one of the few schools that rank highly on the A-10 Expansion formula and a school that will also join the A-10 soon.. Iona is another one that ranks highly on the formula output list...

Davidson also ranked very high but was straddled with their request to have COC tag along..

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

Fair criticism. Though, I think the Northeast is pretty picked over. As for Tidewater move, I'm assuming somehow that made sense financially, otherwise why choose Tidewater.

Siena remains a candidate. Would just one more northern school placate you? I'd suggest GMU and Davidson are far better candidates then other schools we might have to settle for in your neck of the woods.

Is the writing on the wall with Dayton and SLU? The move south seems to indicate it might be. Sucks to be Richmond if we are the "Bubble" boy, but the new shift in the A10 is a nice consolation prize.

I like Wichita State, and had before their final four run, and even before this season. Would totally have taken them and another MVC school, travel be damned, to shore up our west. The fact, they aren't a primary target especially now that Greg Marshall (richmond connection btw) and his players have shown they are the real deal, makes me think we are losing our western friends.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

And it's not a bad thing to have an A10 presence in talent loaded North Carolina. There's room behind the big four in the ACC for those players to go. The A10 having conference games down there in theory should help all of us, don't know if that was true with Charlotte or will be with Davidson, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

The other thing may be similar to George Mason and wanting the money from NCAA units. I've heard a few URI people say 1 run to the elite 8 would pay for the basketball program for 8 years

·
Registered
3,625 Posts

The other thing may be similar to George Mason and wanting the money from NCAA units. I've heard a few URI people say 1 run to the elite 8 would pay for the basketball program for 8 years

Conferences keep NCAA units. Schools do not take them with them when they switch leagues.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts

Fair criticism. Though, I think the Northeast is pretty picked over. As for Tidewater move, I'm assuming somehow that made sense financially, otherwise why choose Tidewater.

Siena remains a candidate. Would just one more northern school placate you? I'd suggest GMU and Davidson are far better candidates then other schools we might have to settle for in your neck of the woods.

Is the writing on the wall with Dayton and SLU? The move south seems to indicate it might be. Sucks to be Richmond if we are the "Bubble" boy, but the new shift in the A10 is a nice consolation prize.

I like Wichita State, and had before their final four run, and even before this season. Would totally have taken them and another MVC school, travel be damned, to shore up our west. The fact, they aren't a primary target especially now that Greg Marshall (richmond connection btw) and his players have shown they are the real deal, makes me think we are losing our western friends.
Adding Siena would partially placate me. I think they bring more to the table than Davidson (larger arena, fanbase, big metro arean with no pro teams, success under several coaches, etc...).

The current direction of the league may be good for UR as you are one of the southern most members. it is however in my opinion not good for the northern most members such as URI, UMass, SBU, and FU. It probably will mean more charter flights for the men's basketball teams and very long trips for all the other athletic teams.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Clearly the Patriot league seems like the perfect spot for Davidson if we are just talking academics. Geographically its not a good fit at all. But that does not mean the A10 is not a decent fit for Davidson - it clearly is which is what made Decorcey's tweet strange to me.

·
Registered
386 Posts

I wonder if Towson is anywhere on the radar screen. They are just about to complete a new arena, and seem to be improving in Basketball, 2nd in the CAA this past year. If they continue to improve, they would fill a nice void in the conference between Washington and Philadelphia.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

Any chance Davidson is for 2013-14? I find it odd, no pun intended, that the conference would be 13 teams next season, though for scheduling purposes 13 is not a very different approach than 14. 4 teams twice, 8 teams once instead of 3 teams twice, 10 teams once.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Anyone worried about how Davidson fares post-McKillop? Could they become Fordham-esque with the wrong hire when he retires?
That would be the primary worry. Davidson has had consistent success in the last 15 years or so at the Southern conference level primarily because McKillop stuck around so long, as opposed to the normal process of losing coaches any time you have success, followed by transitions that may or may not work out and time spent lower in your conference. It's possible the next guy they hire could keep that going, but Davidson doesn't have many other attributes that would stave off a potential downturn like they saw pre-McKillop for most of the 80's. As long as he's there, I think they'll be competitive, though probably rarely a top team in the conference.

I'm also interested to see how they handle other sports. The worry on their end is probably that the improvement in basketball revenue will not make up for the increased travel costs of all sports (many of which share 2 or 3 scholarships among all their players and currently bus to all games). I wouldn't be surprised if they were negotiating some way to limit travel for their non-revenue sports (maybe join for basketball only?).

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

I'm also interested to see how they handle other sports. The worry on their end is probably that the improvement in basketball revenue will not make up for the increased travel costs of all sports (many of which share 2 or 3 scholarships among all their players and currently bus to all games). I wouldn't be surprised if they were negotiating some way to limit travel for their non-revenue sports (maybe join for basketball only?).
Very doubtful. What conference would accomodate all their other sports out of the good of their heart while not benefitting from their marquee sport? If such a scenario were likely, more schools would be doing it and we'd have basketball only conferences, footbball only conferences and then different regional conferences for the rest of the sports.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Any chance Davidson is for 2013-14? I find it odd, no pun intended, that the conference would be 13 teams next season, though for scheduling purposes 13 is not a very different approach than 14. 4 teams twice, 8 teams once instead of 3 teams twice, 10 teams once.
Exactly.

As I was explaining to one of our Siena friends in a PM, the Presidents never understood the craving for a even numbered conference.. Scheduling was unbalanced when it was 12 (pre-STL and Charlotte) and was unbalanced at 16. Odds and evens do not matter do not matter to the decision makers, yet the media seems obsessed about it.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Very doubtful. What conference would accomodate all their other sports out of the good of their heart while not benefitting from their marquee sport? If such a scenario were likely, more schools would be doing it and we'd have basketball only conferences, footbball only conferences and then different regional conferences for the rest of the sports.
Absolutely! The Presidents would not allow a school the perks of playing in the revenue generating sport without putting everything in..

And frankly with their endowment it wouldn't be that much of an increase... They are looking at an increase of maybe $100k in travel expenses.. I would spend an additional $100k to get back $300k and an increase in media games and exposure through ESPN, NBC and CBS.

For a Davidson Olympic sports team of 22 players (certain sports have less) that have to make 3-4 additional flying trips at a MAX per season due the conference realignment.. It might cost Davidson (especially at pre-fixed, contract bulk rate with their airline carrier of choosing), $10-16k per team.. When I worked at my university, we had a deal with US Airways who charged us $150/person person per roundtrip inside the region, $225/person per roundtrip outside the region...

Also should be mentioned sports in the A-10 like Tennis, Golf, XC and Track and Field only meet up once a year and do not travel to each other's venue to play each other every week... So there is 1/4 of athletic programs for a lot of the A-10 schools anyways..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Towson plays football. I do not think they would want to let go of that. And I don't see Yeager and the CAA allowing them to keep their football there but move everything else to the A10.

If it's wasn't for football though, I think Towson would be a really good choice for the league. New market in the geographic footprint, big public school that is investing in basketball, and a team that turned around a disastrous 2012 year. Baltimore doesn't really have a "basketball" team, whether it is pro or college. Towson could definitely capture it.

41 - 60 of 454 Posts