Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

It is not just about Davidson teams having to travel to A-10 schools. Admitting Davidson also adds quite a bit more travel to the northern based teams. That is why I was hoping for a more balanced approach to adding teams. I would rather Siena be paired with GMU (one northern/one southern).

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

Is Rhody that broke? I'd think that the travel expenses aren't that bad. We're talking Charlotte, NC here. You guys were already travelling there for several years for UNC Charlotte and we just lost 2 teams in the midwest that were just as far or further away. You guys survived those travel arrangements, and adding Davidson is a cause for concern? That's a little surprising.

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts

If anyone should be raising hell about travel, it should be the schools in Dayton, Ohio and St. Louis, Missouri. Endgame, I doubt Ms. McGlade is listening to anything coming from those two schools at this point.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

If anyone should be raising hell about travel, it should be the schools in Dayton, Ohio and St. Louis, Missouri. Endgame, I doubt Ms. McGlade is listening to anything coming from those two schools at this point.
It certainly seems that way.

I guess you guys can take comfort in that to an extent however. If the A-10 knew we were keeping you guys long-term, we'd be acting differently.

For the short-term, it's not so great, but it certainly looks like you 2 are on the way out to the Big East. We'll miss you if that happens. You've been a great representative of SLU on this board.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts

I think pretty much everyone is writing off St. Louis as it is expected they will soon leave for the Catholic Big East. Besides, SLU joined the A-10 full knowing the travel obstacles.

The northern teams such as SBU, UMass, and URI joined a league that had GW as the most southern school with WVU and Pitt/Duquense being the most western. Things have taken a dramatic turn from a geography perspective since they joined.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

I can see why the A10 would not be accomodating two schools that are rumored to be most likely to leave. Let's say McGlade gave those schools a courtesy call to determine intentions, they certainly are not going to commit to the A10. There is nothing the A10 can do to keep any A10 school from leaving if the Big East comes calling, so the A10 is going to do what the A10 thinks is best for the A10 longterm.

I know you know this, but just putting it out there anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts

There is simply no reason to accommodate Dayton and St. Louis when both schools are most likely going to be leaving anyways. I don't really see the concern about travelling to Davidson as they are about as far as Charlotte. I'm a big advocate of adding Towson as the 14th team (after Dayton and St. Louis leave and Siena joins) as I think it would fill a nice niche, the stadium is going to be perfect, and Baltimore has untapped potential. Football is a concern though. Still, are the football dollars at that level worth it?

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts

I can see why the A10 would not be accomodating two schools that are rumored to be most likely to leave. Let's say McGlade gave those schools a courtesy call to determine intentions, they certainly are not going to commit to the A10. There is nothing the A10 can do to keep any A10 school from leaving if the Big East comes calling, so the A10 is going to do what the A10 thinks is best for the A10 longterm.

I know you know this, but just putting it out there anyway.
Yeah, I totally agree with you. That's why I said even if SLU/Dayton were making waves, they'd be rebuffed.

·
Registered
993 Posts

Is Rhody that broke? I'd think that the travel expenses aren't that bad. We're talking Charlotte, NC here. You guys were already travelling there for several years for UNC Charlotte and we just lost 2 teams in the midwest that were just as far or further away. You guys survived those travel arrangements, and adding Davidson is a cause for concern? That's a little surprising.
URI is a school that almost drastically reduced their football scholarships recently and were contemplating moving to a lesser but more regionally appropriate conference (for football).

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

So yes?

If you want a nationally relevant basketball conference, these are the schools you have to add. I'm not sure I want the A-10 to become a glorified MAAC for the sake of travelling budgets.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

Yeah MEAC quality is pretty good apparently. At least as far as MEAC-quality bigs are concerned.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts

So yes?

If you want a nationally relevant basketball conference, these are the schools you have to add. I'm not sure I want the A-10 to become a glorified MAAC for the sake of travelling budgets.
The only MAAC team I would consider is Siena and I think it would be a better choice than Davidson.

I realize that URI did travel to Charlotte. It however would be nice to have some teams that were not as far a trip. Travel is a concern for other A-10 schools that don't have another team across town and a few others within relatively short bus rides.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

There is simply no reason to accommodate Dayton and St. Louis when both schools are most likely going to be leaving anyways. I don't really see the concern about travelling to Davidson as they are about as far as Charlotte. I'm a big advocate of adding Towson as the 14th team (after Dayton and St. Louis leave and Siena joins) as I think it would fill a nice niche, the stadium is going to be perfect, and Baltimore has untapped potential. Football is a concern though. Still, are the football dollars at that level worth it?
Football dollars at that level are not worth it, but I do not see them dropping football so they need to park it somewhere. They have a nice football stadium, named after Johnny Unitas who was fundraising for naming rights when he passed. I would be happy if they were added as the campus is only a 15 minute drive for me, but I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

The only MAAC team I would consider is Siena and I think it would be a better choice than Davidson.

I realize that URI did travel to Charlotte. It however would be nice to have some teams that were not as far a trip. Travel is a concern for other A-10 schools that don't have another team across town and a few others within relatively short bus rides.
...and no longer has to travel to Indianapolis or Cincinatti.

URI's travel arrangements actually have become easier this offseason.

I don't think many people would say that Siena is a better basketball add than Davidson. Sure Siena has a lot of great supporting factors, but basketball is about wins and losses. 6 of the last 10 seasons at Siena have been losing seasons and they were awful the last 3. Davidson has been to the NCAAs in 5 of the last 8 years in a very comparable conference to the MAAC.

That said, I think Siena is probably joining the A-10 anyway so you should be okay.

I don't think there is anyone else in your neck of the woods that really brings any real basketball value to the A-10 anyway.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

...and no longer has to travel to Indianapolis or Cincinatti.

URI's travel arrangements actually have become easier this offseason.

I don't think many people would say that Siena is a better basketball add than Davidson. Sure Siena has a lot of great supporting factors, but basketball is about wins and losses. 6 of the last 10 seasons at Siena have been losing seasons and they were awful the last 3. Davidson has been to the NCAAs in 5 of the last 8 years in a very comparable conference to the MAAC.

That said, I think Siena is probably joining the A-10 anyway so you should be okay.

I don't think there is anyone else in your neck of the woods that really brings any real basketball value to the A-10 anyway.
Not exactly in URI's neck of the woods, but definitely up north I think Iona brings basketball value. They got an at-large out of the MAAC 2 seasons ago which is practically unheard of and won the MAAC this past season. I agree though that up north it is mostly slim pickings.

61 - 80 of 454 Posts