Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 160 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

The closer I look, the more I'm getting the impression that Davidson is a little odd. I suppose that makes sense. The smaller the institution, the more prone it is to eccentricity, and in that regard Davidson has a smaller enrollment than Amherst College. That doesn't change my opinion of them though. There still isn't any obviously better candidate, and I was already in favor of doing nothing and waiting another year regardless. But if Davidson is in fact the next addition to the A10, we shouldn't be surprised if their procedure for accepting a conference invitation is a bit different than the norm.
Davidson isn't small. It's tiny.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

Davidson is basically the same size as SBU except it is located in a metropolitan area and has ten times the endowment of SBU.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Davidson is basically the same size as SBU except it is located in a metropolitan area and has ten times the endowment of SBU.
Yeah, money and location are great, but do they have the fourth ranked student radio station?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

You are correct with respect to the last two points, but Davidson's enrollment is a little over 60% of Bona's if you are counting only undergraduates. Total Davidson enrollment is about 45% of Bona's.

Now, with that said, so what? I'm fairly certain what you are trying to imply, but am disappointed that you just didn't come out and say it.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts

Allegany Village, NY (Wikipedia)

Allegany is a village in Cattaraugus County, New York, USA.

The population was 1816 at the 2010 census.

The Village of Allegany is west of the City of Olean (population: 14,452).

St. Bonaventure University is south of the village.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

You are correct with respect to the last two points, but Davidson's enrollment is a little over 60% of Bona's if you are counting only undergraduates. Total Davidson enrollment is about 45% of Bona's.

Now, with that said, so what? I'm fairly certain what you are trying to imply, but am disappointed that you just didn't come out and say it.
Honestly wasn't implying anything. There are many reasons not to add Davidson but I'm not convinced that size is one of them (btw...Davidson's enrollment is 1920 and SBU's undergraduate enrollment is 2000 - both numbers from the institutions' websites). The reason I mentioned location and enrollment is that I believe they somewhat mitigate the size issue if one has an issue with size. I will also point out that it is a quicker trip to Davidson than to SBU for almost every if not every team in the conference (Charlotte is a UScare hub).

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

(btw...Davidson's enrollment is 1920 and SBU's undergraduate enrollment is 2000 - both numbers from the institutions' websites)
Yeah, my mistake. I either picked up a wrong number or transposed digits in my head. I've seen a couple of Davidson enrollment numbers in the low 1,800s and I somehow came out of that reading 1,280. I suspect Davidson's website number is a bit high as I know Bona's is. Bona is lucky if they have 1,900 currently, 2,700 including grad students.

And, Muddy, it's back to the drawing board for you. Bona is not located in the Village of Allegany. It is located in the Town of Allegany. Please get back to us with the current census numbers for the Town. Should be in the neighborhood of 8,500 or so but I'm relying on you for the official tally.

·
Registered
986 Posts

for laughs ....

Dayton
Population: 142,148
Area: 56.76 sq miles (147 km²)
Median family income: $34,978
Median home price: $74,200
Unemployment rate
: 7.9% (Dec 2012)
Closest major city (in state): Cincinnati
Straight distance: 49 miles
Driving distance: 54 miles

Amherst

Population: 34,874
Area: 27.8 sq miles (72 km²)
Median family income: $49,187
Median home price: $331,077
Unemployment rate: 4.1% (Dec 2012)
Closest major city (in state): Boston
Straight distance: 75 miles
Driving distance: 93 miles

Olean
Population: 14,363
Area: 6.178 sq miles (16 km²)
Median family income: $38,355
Median home price: $74,000
Unemployment rate: 8.0%
Closest major city (in state): Buffalo
Straight distance: 60 miles
Driving distance: 73 miles

Davidson
Population: 11,188
Area: 5.1 sq miles (13.21 km²)
Median family income: $77,162
Median home price: $276,082
Unemployment rate: 9.8%
Closest major city (in state): Charlotte
Straight distance: 18 miles
Driving distance: 22 miles

·
Registered
5,880 Posts

Real estate prices out that way are out-f'ing-landish. Average homes going for 250K and up just to live in Mass? It's lovely there, but the fake Kennedy image is too much. With that said, let's party in Wakefield or something.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

I'd like to know what kind of house you are getting for $74k. You can't find a house in my town for less then $150k even with the housing market decline.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts

Is Buffalo Boston? Hell no. However, it's the second largest city in New York and has multiple pro sports teams, so I suppose it could be classified as a major city. It's certainly no Springfield, though.

Edit: I wish Davidson's addition would be finalized so we could get back on an otherwise interesting topic.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Does Buffalo actually count as a "major city"???
There are over 1 million people in the immediate area. Not terrible.

I'd like to know what kind of house you are getting for $74k. You can't find a house in my town for less then $150k even with the housing market decline.
I bought a house just south of Olean for about 44,000. It's pretty nice, and I never have to lock my door.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts

Guys - I was kidding. I think ExplorerSteve answered it best (shocking): two major sports teams means it has to be a "major city".

141 - 160 of 454 Posts