Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

161 - 180 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

for laughs ....
Closest major city (in state): Charlotte
Straight distance: 18 miles
Driving distance: 22 miles

That's the suburbs!

UCLA is about the same distance from Los Angeles (and about 3x the drive time)
It's slightly longer distance than Villanova to Philadelphia (but a shorter commute).
Hell, it takes longer for DePaul to go from campus to their arena.

Buffalo Bills: Orchard Park, NY (12 miles, 20 minutes)
New York Giants/Jets: East Rutherford, NJ (11 miles, 22 minutes)
Dallas Cowboys: Arlington, TX (19 miles, 25 minutes)
Washington Redskins: Landover, MD (15 miles, 26 minutes)
Detroit Pistons: Auburn Hills, MI (33 miles, 35 minutes)

If those teams call themselves by the major city name, then Davidson's in Charlotte.

·
Registered
876 Posts

A poster on the Davidson board says the Cats are staying in the SoCon. I'm not surprised.

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts

Seemed like their fans were somewhat lukewarm on the A-10.

The road through the Atlantic 10 is still pretty darn tough.

Now I'm wondering if Siena is back in play quicker.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Anyone know the dates of the Atlantic-10 meetings in May? Thanks.

·
Registered
968 Posts

That's the suburbs!

UCLA is about the same distance from Los Angeles (and about 3x the drive time)
It's slightly longer distance than Villanova to Philadelphia (but a shorter commute).
Hell, it takes longer for DePaul to go from campus to their arena.

Buffalo Bills: Orchard Park, NY (12 miles, 20 minutes)
New York Giants/Jets: East Rutherford, NJ (11 miles, 22 minutes)
Dallas Cowboys: Arlington, TX (19 miles, 25 minutes)
Washington Redskins: Landover, MD (15 miles, 26 minutes)
Detroit Pistons: Auburn Hills, MI (33 miles, 35 minutes)

If those teams call themselves by the major city name, then Davidson's in Charlotte.
Not to mention, Philadelphia Union (MLS) plays in Chester, 15 miles and about 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia. In fact, most MLS franchises play outside of the cities they are named for. Saving on land acquisition is a big part of MLS's game plan.

Can't figure Davidson. Either they are dead-seat on having Charleston join them or they really want to be the big fish on the small pond.

·
Registered
62 Posts

It is the "Jeff Goodman says Cats to A-10" thread. I read all 25 pages...zzzzzzz... and the Mildcat fans seem pretty split on moving to the A-10. I think their biggest concerns are money for travel, additional scholarships, and coaches salaries to get on par with the schools in the A-10. They are concerned that the additional travel time will negatively affect the academic pursuits of their athletes. The SoCon is a bus league and Richmond is about the only A-10 city that will be drivable--and that is 5-6 hours each way.

There are concerns that they will lose all of their rivals and most fans will not be able to go to away games. This may also impact their home attendance and that is already moderate.

Let me go on record saying that Davidson is a fine college. You won't find many Niners that will say that publically. Their basketball program today would be a good fit for the A-10. Your biggest concern as a conference is what will they be when Coach McKillop retires (63 in June). He is an anachronism--a successful coach that could go somewhere else anytime that he wanted and double his salary but hasn't. I can't see him leaving until he retires. When will that be? Who knows? When he does leave replacing him with another coach that can be as successful will be awfully hard, and at a comparable salary impossible. At that point if Davidson is playing .500 ball and has no rivals in their hearts so fan support suffers what will the A-10 think? That is pretty much the story of Charlotte in the A-10, but we are a much bigger school and could still put butts in the seats and we cared about, and succeeded with, lots of other sports. Davidson is a men's basketball school.

These are tough times, and I wish all non-Big 5 conferences well as we try to recover from their meddling, so good luck to the A-10 and Davidson. Well not so much Davidson, because whipping their butts is a December tradition at Charlotte and I would hate to see that ever change. :)

·
Registered
386 Posts

If I were Davidson, I would want to wait and see if Richmond (likely to be their biggest rival) stays in the A10 or moves to the Big East, especially if the Big East is making their decision before the end of June..

·
Registered
630 Posts

Just checked the Davidson board again and there are definitely still folks who want to come into the A10. One interesting comment though was, if they were staying in the SoCon, why doesn't someone from the admin just say so? Haven't even been meaningless "non-denials" i.e. "No one from the Atlantic Ten has personally contacted me in a official manner to ask that I sign an official document formally requesting admittance to the Atlantic Ten conference blah blah blah"

The silence looks more like things are still being hammered out.

·
Registered
537 Posts

I'm cool for not adding another team this offseason. Davidson doesn't do it for me. I just feel it's way too much a jump from winning SoCon every year in the bottom quartile of D1 to contending in the top quartile or at least top third in the A10.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

They're tiny and at major risk for disappearing after McKillop retires.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

Well Davidson might be seen as a stepping stone job after McKillop leaves. They've got a tradition of hiring good coaches, Lefty Driesell, Terry Holland and Larry Brown all got their first NCAA coaching jobs at Davidson. I think Larranaga and some other guys started there as assistants. I suspect that they have the money to compete for a decent coach if they wanted to as well. Hard to understate how important McKillop is though, dude is one of the best coaches around and he has connections all over the world.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Well Davidson might be seen as a stepping stone job after McKillop leaves. They've got a tradition of hiring good coaches, Lefty Driesell, Terry Holland and Larry Brown all got their first NCAA coaching jobs at Davidson. I think Larranaga and some other guys started there as assistants. I suspect that they have the money to compete for a decent coach if they wanted to as well. Hard to understate how important McKillop is though, dude is one of the best coaches around and he has connections all over the world.
Don't forget that Matt Doherty got his start there as an assistant too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Whatever. They should be good for a few more years, anyway, till McKillop retires.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Congrats to Davidson... I'd like to argue why Siena should be going in over them but I can't.

I hope Siena can get the program turned around so we'll be considered when St. Louis and most likely Dayton leave.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts

Congrats to Davidson... I'd like to argue why Siena should be going in over them but I can't.

I hope Siena can get the program turned around so we'll be considered when St. Louis and most likely Dayton leave.
It seems GMU and Davidson were added to guard against the departures of SLU and UD in advance. If Siena was to be considered, I'd guess it would be if UMass ever pursued football in the AAC. Something tells me Charleston will emerge, though. From what I've repeatedly heard, Davidson really wanted them and after a long silent spell following Goodman's initial report... poof! The Wildcats are in. Maybe the A10 agreed to sweeten the pot for them?

161 - 180 of 454 Posts