Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Time to start it.....and it's not good:

Credit: Blackburn Review Twitter

Anthony Grant is gonna pull a Norman Dale next year. "Coach you only have three players on the court!!!" "My team is on the floor!!!" "But, Coach, we are losing by 30 to Duquesne!!!" "My team is on the floor!!!"

Also from BR:

UD's game program next season is going to be a fucking pamphlet.

Edit for roster:

Current roster as it stands today:

Senior Josh Cunningham
Junior Trey Landers
Junior Ryan Mikesell (RS-JR)
Junior Jhery Matos (JUCO transfer)
Junior Ibi Watson (sitting ou this year)
Junior Rodney Chatman (sitting out this year)
Soph Jalen Crutcher
Soph Jordan Davis
FR Obadiah Toppin (RS-FR)
FR Dwayne Cohill
FR Frank Polecelli
FR Jabali Leonard (academic walk on scholarship)

One 'ship open still....

Probably done for 2018. Here is the roster I expect we will see in October.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll update the roster in November, when we have 4 walk ons starting for us. Enjoy the off season.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The players leaving Dayton were at best, minor contributors. Kostas didn't like school and wants to give the pro game ago. Before writing UD and Grant off for 18-19 season, lets see how the roster if filled out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
All five players that are leaving were non-contributors (actually four because Kostas showed some improvement by the end of the season) so I am happy that Anthony Grant and his staff have five scholarships to give out. The eight scholarship players we currently have form a solid nucleus!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
All five players that are leaving were non-contributors (actually four because Kostas showed some improvement by the end of the season) so I am happy that Anthony Grant and his staff have five scholarships to give out. The eight scholarship players we currently have form a solid nucleus!
I would think UD fans would like to see another 'big' that can contribute right away come into the program (fans of other A-10 teams probably feel the same way). For Grant and the 2018 season, the biggest problem may be is getting a decent backup pg. Players want to play, Crutcher played a lot of minutes this past season and will just be going into his soph season. A freshman is'nt going to want to sit behind for three years, and a decent juco or grad transfer may not be satisfied with 10-12 minutes per game.

·
Piker
8,509 Posts
I would think UD fans would like to see another 'big' that can contribute right away come into the program (fans of other A-10 teams probably feel the same way). For Grant and the 2018 season, the biggest problem may be is getting a decent backup pg. Players want to play, Crutcher played a lot of minutes this past season and will just be going into his soph season. A freshman is'nt going to want to sit behind for three years, and a decent juco or grad transfer may not be satisfied with 10-12 minutes per game.
Maybe he will go the grad transfer or JUCO route. That way he gets experience without burning scholarships for more than a year or two. I wonder if VCU will do it. I saw that several A10 schools made St John's GT Tariq Qwen's final list. With all of the grad transfers/transfers/JUCO players teams can get good quick. Nevada did it. Is it a bandaid? It is the opposite effect of the one and done. Schools can get experience to compete with the high majors who get the top 50 players every single season. You can still recruit the four year player but enhance your roster. I know some worry about chemistry and upsetting established players but this is the way things are going. Maybe Grant will use what is available these days to get the roster the way he wants it.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As CollegeHoops stated, Dayton got a commit last night from "Frankie" Policelli....6'8" SF/PF from NY.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/04/23/frankie-policelli-to-dayton/

Policelli also held offers from Texas Tech and Cincinnati, and took visits last fall to George Washington and Stony Brook. He chose Dayton after a recent official visit to the Atlantic 10 Conference school.

“I chose Dayton because I felt comfortable with the coaching staff and the players,” he told ZAGSBLOG. “I feel like I can fit in really good.”

I'm sure the fact that he could play almost immediately was enticing also.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dayton got a verbal commit. Michigan sophomore Ibi Watson, a 6'5" guard/wing backup with limited playing time, is transferring out. Will sit 1 and play 2. The young man is from Pickerington OH.

Just saw Scoop Russell beat me to it :)

1 - 20 of 206 Posts