Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Wow the Dayton folks are giving the 'Fire Mooney ' folks a run for their money
And they should be....this is unacceptable.

There is a reason why Butler and X completely ran over top of us right into the BE and we got stuck here. It would be fitting for this program to fall right on its face because of this administration and their history of poor choices and then have no one from the next generation, yes, millinials, who will refuse to pay for this product.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
https://daytonflyers.com/documents/2019/1/29//Day_vs_SJU_Men_s_Final_Packet.pdf

I know Toppin had a monster game but the Player of the Game is probably Cohill for his defense on Charlie Brown.

Brown scored 10 points before you could blink with Cohill sitting on the bench. He scored 9 more for the game and only scored 4 on Cohill who played the most minutes he's played of any game this year.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Rumors flying all over Dayton twitter that Toppin is leaving after this year......from the BR crowd. Their sources, as weird as it may sound, usually aren't wrong. And Grant is still pursuing a SG from the JUCO ranks in a kid here in Dayton at Sinclair CC. If Obi returns, we are at max schollies. So this SG kid would put us one over.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Rumors flying all over Dayton twitter that Toppin is leaving after this year......from the BR crowd. Their sources, as weird as it may sound, usually aren't wrong. And Grant is still pursuing a SG from the JUCO ranks in a kid here in Dayton at Sinclair CC. If Obi returns, we are at max schollies. So this SG kid would put us one over.
Sean McNeil .... he has offers from Dayton, West Virginia and Western Kentucky, plus Virginia, Missouri, Xavier, Ohio State and Marquette have watched him. I think AG takes him even if Obi returns. I think Obi is back next year but who knows with the NBA. McNeil was leading the JUCO’s in scoring at one point and will have three years of elibility.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Given the landscape in college basketball today, its not unusual to see a player(s) transfer out.What the fans and posters don't see is how the guys sitting this season as transfers in are performing in practice.Certainly one or more of the rotation players could sense their minutes could be cut substantially next year and decide to leave.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Does anyone know if Dayton is taking a close look at 2019 recruit Jacob Toppin? He's from Ossining,NY, plays at Woodstock Academy, and i believe he is Obi's younger brother. I know that there are no 'ships' currently available, and that Grant has been looking closely at a local juco player, but players leave programs. Jacob just received an offer from URI.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Does anyone know if Dayton is taking a close look at 2019 recruit Jacob Toppin? He's from Ossining,NY, plays at Woodstock Academy, and i believe he is Obi's younger brother. I know that there are no 'ships' currently available, and that Grant has been looking closely at a local juco player, but players leave programs. Jacob just received an offer from URI.
I'm not on the inside so almost all my info comes from Twitter but I have heard nothing about Dayton recruiting him.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow! The season finally ended tonight with a 78-73 loss to the Colorado Buffalo's. I was proud of the Flyers because after their first round conference tournament loss to St. Louis they regrouped and gave the effort to beat many of the other NIT teams. Colorado has a real good team and the game went back and forth. It was the best NIT game of the evening. Obi Toppin showed why he should be a pro. His mom wants him to stay in school. Flyer fans hope he listens to her and comes back for at least one more season. He had 21 points but had to sit for 8 minutes because he picked up his 3rd foul at the 17:11 mark of the second half.

This was a season of what-ifs but every team in the A-10 can say the same thing! We had 7 players for most of the season. Jhery Matos went down early in the season and was our best defender. We really missed him! Next season we will have 13 or 14 players and that will bode well!

Good luck to Josh Cunningham. He gave his all for the Flyers and for that we are thankful!

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I started watching when the Temple/Belmont game ended and only watched to half-time. In that time, Toppin scored all of 2 points. I tuned in mainly to watch Obadiah, so I was disappointed he was on the bench when I first turned the game on.

The kid is a ton of fun to watch, but it appears I was a bit of a mush last night. I am rooting for him to stay in school, even if it means having to face him at least once next season.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Any of our resident Flyer Faithful have an idea how much Grant is making at UD?
It’s been fairly quiet regarding his comp package. I’m speculating that it’s north of $1 million. Gregory was right around $1 million when he left so I am guessing Grant would be at least at that level. A lot of Archie’s comp was funded privately so it wasn’t made public.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
It’s been fairly quiet regarding his comp package. I’m speculating that it’s north of $1 million. Gregory was right around $1 million when he left so I am guessing Grant would be at least at that level. A lot of Archie’s comp was funded privately so it wasn’t made public.
Thanks, Jaffie.

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Are you comparing Phil's salary to others? I think Mike Rhoades was hired for $1.2 million and this year he got bonuses for winning the A10 regular season and getting to the NCAA so he is probably over $1.3 for this season.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Are you comparing Phil's salary to others? I think Mike Rhoades was hired for $1.2 million and this year he got bonuses for winning the A10 regular season and getting to the NCAA so he is probably over $1.3 for this season.
Yes. I know what Phil makes and wanted to see how Dayton and VCU pay Grant and Rhoades, respectively. I know Mooney makes less than Phil did. I was curious.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I know UD fans are focused on the recruitment status of the local juco player, or if not him, who to fill the Davis spot? Wondering if any locals know who the 'hot' candidates are to replace asst coach Jones?

By the way, anyone else having an issue with page containing the thread titles updating?

181 - 200 of 206 Posts