Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dayton got a verbal commit. Michigan sophomore Ibi Watson, a 6'5" guard/wing backup with limited playing time, is transferring out. Will sit 1 and play 2. The young man is from Pickerington OH.

Just saw Scoop Russell beat me to it :)
This is one I’m pretty excited about. Watson chose Michigan over IU out of high school but had been offered by Dayton and Miller at the time. Not sure why he’s transferring but he is an elite athlete. That’s not fan speak either. I have no clue how good he is at the game but at 6’5 with a 44.5 inch vertical and the offers he had out of hs it’s hard to not be excited.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dayton received a commitment the other day from Chattanooga transfer Rodney Chatman:

https://twitter.com/RodneyC_/status/993602236818345984.

Has to sit out one year and play 2. So Watson and Chatman will sit out this year and then both have 2 years left.

Dayton is very very guard/wing heavy at this point with almost no true size. Remains to be seen if this is Grant's plan in the A10 or what.

Chatman looks solid....one of only 32 players last year in the country to average 13+ points, 4+ assists, 4+ rebounds, and 1+ steal per game. Davidson also had a player do it....Jon Axel.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I did not realize that was possible...

To give a non athletic scholarship to an athlete...
As I understand it, he is a walk-on who is on an academic scholarship. I believe in NCAA parlance he was not a "recruited player" at the D1 level.Perhaps the best player on a not very good hs team who didn't play AAU ball, and thus wasn't seen by coaches and recruiting analysts.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Like College Hoops said ... he received a Flyers Promise Scholar scholarship. It is for under-represented students. He had interest from mainly Div III and I think a couple of Div II schools, but said he was attending UD even if he couldn’t walk on.

The NCAA has some mind numbing rules defining a recruited athlete. If he was a “recruited athlete” the academic aid would be counted as part of the team’s 13 athletic scholarships

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Assistant Coach James Kane is leaving Dayton to join Steve Prohm's staff at Iowa State. Kane had previously spent four years on Prohm's staff at Murray State. Dayton fans waiting to see if Grant promotes from within, or goes outside the program for a replacement.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Barring very a late addition(s), Dayton will go into the season with only 11 players on scholarship. Two of those, Watson and Chatman are transfers, and not eligible this season. Of the nine remaining players, Toppin is a redshirt freshman, Matos a juco, and Cohill and Policelli are true freshman making it four without D1 experience. Add to that Mikesel is returning after missing a season due to surgery on both hips, and what he'll be able to bring is unknown. Cunningham is a warrior, and if healthy, a likely all-conference player. Landers, Crutcher and Davis should be solid contributors, but the team will lack height/girth down low, any kind of experience off the bench, and depth. I'm a bit surprised Grant and staff werenot able to bring in a grad transfer or two for this season.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm not sure what this year is going to look like but next year looks very promising. Three players sitting out that will be available next year in Chatman, Watson and this big man. Dayton only loses Cunningham and the core of the team will be Juniors and Seniors.

Of note, Jordy's younger brother was also on the recruiting visit this past weekend.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'm not sure what this year is going to look like but next year looks very promising. Three players sitting out that will be available next year in Chatman, Watson and this big man. Dayton only loses Cunningham and the core of the team will be Juniors and Seniors.

Of note, Jordy's younger brother was also on the recruiting visit this past weekend.
For a second, I couldn't figure out why Sy Chatman was red shirting for Dayton...

·
Registered
5 Posts

"only loses Cunningham"? That is a pretty large loss-only the best player on your team!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Flyer fans hoping big man Jordy Tshimanga uses his sit out year like the late Steve Mc Elvene did i.e. to work on academics, control his weight and develop his game, and not the sit out practice and games of the transferred out, Jordan Pierce.

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
League is down this year even more than last year. Dayton is in full rebuild mode at least for this year.

PS-I just took what Flyer75 said the other day and replaced VCU with Dayton:paperbag:

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
League is down this year even more than last year. Dayton is in full rebuild mode at least for this year.

PS-I just took what Flyer75 said the other day and replaced VCU with Dayton:paperbag:
I'm not sure Dayton is in the rebuild that VCU is in...we are returning 4 starters. And then the following year we return 4 starters again. It looks stable as far players go and we pretty much know exactly what we have in the starting lineup...its the coaching I'm not sure on.

But like I also said in that post, I literally have no clue how the league will pan out this year; its that wide open.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
21 - 40 of 206 Posts