Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I suppose he does have as good a chance at that award as anyone else, seeing as it doesn't exist.

Oh, and vertical leaping ability is one of the most overrated traits in college basketball.
Excuse me nilesgold ... Rookie of the Year

I wouldn’t say vertical leaping ability is overrated in a sport where the players actually leave their feet quite often.

I was really only posting to be annoying but it’s satisfying that one of you UMASS fellows took the bait.

FWIW, Grant is really high on Toppin.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Funny thing about Topin...he's a freshman this year. He'll turn 21 this basketball season.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Excuse me nilesgold ... Rookie of the Year

I wouldn’t say vertical leaping ability is overrated in a sport where the players actually leave their feet quite often.

I was really only posting to be annoying but it’s satisfying that one of you UMASS fellows took the bait.

FWIW, Grant is really high on Toppin.
Happy to assist.

Leaping ability is overrated, however it's not insignificant, there is a difference.

I don't care what Grant thinks, he's yet to show reason to put much faith in his opinion.

Toppin took a post-grad yet, then had to sit out his first year at Dayton, hence his advanced age as a freshman (eligibility-wise).

Toppin could very well be a good freshman, make the A10 all-rookie team, or even be rookie of the year. But I find it hilarious when fans get all excited and optimistic about a player based on a highlight reel of dunks during a pick-up game.

·
Registered
664 Posts
But I find it hilarious when fans of other teams post on another team specific thread about the hilarity of their fans being excited for a certain player that has yet to play.
It would be pretty hilarious if I did it on UDPride, but I didn't, I did it here, where you expect fans of other teams to read & post.

And I haven't even been critical of Toppin, merely the idea that anyone would watch a highlight video of a player dunking and then proclaim that player to be the next A10 newcomer of the year, an award which doesn't even exist.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It would be pretty hilarious if I did it on UDPride, but I didn't, I did it here, where you expect fans of other teams to read & post.

And I haven't even been critical of Toppin, merely the idea that anyone would watch a highlight video of a player dunking and then proclaim that player to be the next A10 newcomer of the year, an award which doesn't even exist.
Lighten up Francis. The post was 50% attempt at humor and 50% posting something relevant to a Dayton thread. Read that again nilesgold - maybe without moving your lips - a Dayton thread. I did erroneously refer to the award as “newcomer of the year”, so I guess you got me. BTW there is an interesting side story behind the “pick-up” game.

You should do what I do with the UMASS thread ... I don’t read it ... oh wait .... is there a UMASS thread?

EYOA

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Happy to assist.

Leaping ability is overrated, however it's not insignificant, there is a difference.

I don't care what Grant thinks, he's yet to show reason to put much faith in his opinion.

Toppin took a post-grad yet, then had to sit out his first year at Dayton, hence his advanced age as a freshman (eligibility-wise).

Toppin could very well be a good freshman, make the A10 all-rookie team, or even be rookie of the year. But I find it hilarious when fans get all excited and optimistic about a player based on a highlight reel of dunks during a pick-up game.
I am a fan of Grant and I have witnessed great results with him on the bench. Oh and Toppin did look like a beast in the video. It is no different than you posting about the upside of UMass or me with hopes for VCU in the preseason. Do not count the Flyers out because they have some players. I think this year could be fun. Lots of unknowns but reason for many fanbases to be excited.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
In the Toppin video it may have been a defense optional pick-up game, but he wasn't playing against the Sisters of Charity in a CYO contest, but rather against some guys who make more playing basketball in a year then most of us will in our lifetimes.Barring injury, Cunningham should be an all conference player. He'll have some help in the returning players and some promising first year players. There wont be a lot of height, and the Flyers will only have nine scholarship players eligible this season (3 ships to sit-out transfers and one not given out). Like some of their conference mates, Dayton is capable of knocking off a team in the polls, and just as capable of losing to a team with a plus 200 RPI.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I am a fan of Grant and I have witnessed great results with him on the bench. Oh and Toppin did look like a beast in the video. It is no different than you posting about the upside of UMass or me with hopes for VCU in the preseason. Do not count the Flyers out because they have some players. I think this year could be fun. Lots of unknowns but reason for many fanbases to be excited.
It would be no different if I was calling Samba Diallo the A10 2018-19 newcomer of the year because of the impressive dunks I watched him perform in a highlight video. So yes, it is quite different. I'm not writing any A10 team off (except maybe Fordham), I think Dayton specifically is flying under the radar and could definitely surprise on the upside this year.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It’s fun to post videos of your team’s players dunking over NBA All Stars but seriously there are high expectations for Toppin.

“Insiders” were saying that he was the best player on the team last year.

His academics hurt his recruitment coming out of prep school. By all accounts, he is a good kid, is well liked and is working in the classroom. His final 3 were URI, Illinois and Dayton.

He has grown 5 inches since graduating from high school and put on 30 pounds of muscle last year.

Grant said in an interview last Spring that Obi has the chance to be one of the special players and that he could be one of the best that Grant has coached.

This Flyer’s are going to be a hell of a lot better than last year. There won’t be much room for error as far as numbers are concerned, but we are returning 4 starters and have Ryan Mikesell back and healthy along with Toppin.

41 - 60 of 206 Posts