Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yeah all five of them - one of which is a Wright State fan. They’re the play anywhere anytime crowd. Also the first to complain if there aren’t enough home games

What’s not to like? It’s a P5 schedule -OOC anyways- one true away game, a neutral site game, premier holiday tourney balanced out with a bunch of buy games. It also highlighted our facilities nicely. This is how we do it in Dayton

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Dayton opened up with an exhibition win last night. Played a tough, scrappy Capital team coached by former Flyer great Damon Goodwin who hung around until about the 11 min mark of the second half.

Hard to base anything off this game. Main observation was this team seems much more cohesive than last year's. Much more energy and chemistry with the players.

The Arena renovations are outstanding. Looks like a brand new arena. Not sure how many fans were there...10k? by looks of seats but student section was probably 90% full which was great to see for an exhibition game.

https://daytonflyers.com/news/2018/11/2/mens-basketball-dayton-defeats-capital-89-71.aspx

https://daytonflyers.com/news/2018/11/2/mens-basketball-dayton-defeats-capital-89-71.aspx

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
JAF, the announcers on TV last night were trying to remember Dayton having a player like Toppin...the only name they came up with was Chris Wright. But they mentioned how Toppin is a bit taller, can shoot and dribble better. Who knows, I got down on Wright near the end as he seemed to never improve but his career numbers are really really good.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
JAF, the announcers on TV last night were trying to remember Dayton having a player like Toppin...the only name they came up with was Chris Wright. But they mentioned how Toppin is a bit taller, can shoot and dribble better. Who knows, I got down on Wright near the end as he seemed to never improve but his career numbers are really really good.
The difference between the two IMO is that Obi is a lot bigger. Obi has the length of a seven footer. CW’s game was significantly more refined than Obi’s as a freshmen - Obi makes a few freshman mistakes (mainly playing too fast) that I don’t remember Wright making.

Obi has shown that he can shoot the ball, has NBA length and can definitely get off the floor. I think that CW improved as a player but wasn’t able to develop the skills to play the small forward position in the NBA. Obi has a lot of work to do, but because of his length he can be a legitimate NBA prospect. His age might a problem for the NBA - he’ll be what, 24 as a senior?

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
The difference between the two IMO is that Obi is a lot bigger. Obi has the length of a seven footer. CW’s game was significantly more refined than Obi’s as a freshmen - Obi makes a few freshman mistakes (mainly playing too fast) that I don’t remember Wright making.

Obi has shown that he can shoot the ball, has NBA length and can definitely get off the floor. I think that CW improved as a player but wasn’t able to develop the skills to play the small forward position in the NBA. Obi has a lot of work to do, but because of his length he can be a legitimate NBA prospect. His age might a problem for the NBA - he’ll be what, 24 as a senior?
Ya, agree on all points...age might hurt him but I'm thinking someone will take a shot at him for all the reasons you said.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
David Jablonski
‏Verified account @DavidPJablonski

Dayton doesn't know how many fans it will have here because many are walking up and buying tickets on game day, but Neil Sullivan was told UD will have one of the largest turnouts in the eight-year history of the Battle 4 Atlantis.
2:55 PM - 21 Nov 2018

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401096929

Dayton falls to 4-1 after a tough loss to Virginia.

Dayton is in the middle of a six game stretch that is as tough as I can remember in the last 20 years:

Butler, Virginia, and Oklahoma on neutral court. Then Mississippi State and Detroit Mercy at home before traveling to a true road game at Auburn. 4-2 would be OUTSTANDING but 3-3 is probably realistic.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
The Dayton / Mississippi State game is a sellout.

Arena held 13,350 last year...with renovations down to 13,174.

81 - 100 of 206 Posts