Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
This is a must win game for the Flyer’s.

Actually, every game going forward except for Auburn is a must win game.
Must win for what? AG's coaching record? You don't seriously think that an at large is possible for Dayton do you? That ship sailed. The pundits spoke. The A10 blows. 1 week into the season we're a 14 team graveyard lucky to get a visit from Otto. They're talking D1 expulsion.

Obviously that's partially in jest, but if the narrative has already been set, we've got problems. The narrative last year was Bonnies are legit.. we were last team in, or 2nd to last. The narrative this year is that the A10 is on life support. That's not going to equal a lot of at larges. Err.. any at larges.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Must win for what? AG's coaching record? You don't seriously think that an at large is possible for Dayton do you? That ship sailed. The pundits spoke. The A10 blows. 1 week into the season we're a 14 team graveyard lucky to get a visit from Otto. They're talking D1 expulsion.

Obviously that's partially in jest, but if the narrative has already been set, we've got problems. The narrative last year was Bonnies are legit.. we were last team in, or 2nd to last. The narrative this year is that the A10 is on life support. That's not going to equal a lot of at larges. Err.. any at larges.
I mean ya, you're right. It's tough for sure. I think Dayton at least as far as most of the computer numbers go so far is in a good spot right now. Lose tonight though and probably not much shot at an at large bid (like, the ONE at large bid the league might get). Again, this wouldn't be a bad loss but it would be another missed opportunity for Dayton. You need really good wins, not just some bad losses.

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
I mean ya, you're right. It's tough for sure. I think Dayton at least as far as most of the computer numbers go so far is in a good spot right now. Lose tonight though and probably not much shot at an at large bid (like, the ONE at large bid the league might get). Again, this wouldn't be a bad loss but it would be another missed opportunity for Dayton. You need really good wins, not just some bad losses.
I am not convinced of the one bid talk yet. The national pundits have their narrative but if 3 or 4 teams have very good conference records and end with 7 losses I bet that the A10 gets at least two bids. By the way, Dayton looks very good to me. Cunningham and the other big guy, Obi?, are problems and UD has some guards that will come into their own.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

What a Dick.

I agree with AA that the A10 can be more than a one bid league. I think that it’s going to be 13 or 14 wins in conference to get an at large, and a some wins OOC.

There are a lot of reasons for tonight being a must win game.

Yes, for Grant’s coaching record and to have a chance for an at large bid.

It will enhance UD’s profile for a transition to a different league.

It will help flush any memories of last year down the toilet.

We need to move past the Archie era and remain relevant

A win tonight will give me satisfaction knowing that I was right about UD this year, and that the prognosticators had their heads up their asses.

It means there at least a few teams in the league that can win against the P5.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
What a Dick.

I agree with AA that the A10 can be more than a one bid league. I think that it’s going to be 13 or 14 wins in conference to get an at large, and a some wins OOC.

There are a lot of reasons for tonight being a must win game.

Yes, for Grant’s coaching record and to have a chance for an at large bid.

It will enhance UD’s profile for a transition to a different league.

It will help flush any memories of last year down the toilet.

We need to move past the Archie era and remain relevant

A win tonight will give me satisfaction knowing that I was right about UD this year, and that the prognosticators had their heads up their asses.

It means there at least a few teams in the league that can win against the P5.
Dick who?

I said it was partially in jest. I think UD is good, and I really want to see you guys get a W tonight. I just also think full time screwage is coming to the "not P5++" conferences.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I agree AG was a safe choice, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was a bad choice. the team beats Butler, and pretty much plays Virginia, Oklahoma and Mississippi State even for most the game. There's got to be some decent coaching associated with doing that, and this year with Solomon & Jones on the bench he has two people with head coaching experience helping him. I think the Flyers are at the point where they have to learn to close out games when they have a lead. Success doing so builds on itself. Its a young team, and I would expect them to be a factor come conference play. they need to find a shooter/scorer to help open things up. To this point, Jordan Davis has been the antithesis of a SG.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Is it time for the annual...."these are the key Dayton players lost to season injury over the last 20 years" list?:

it's a long one.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
The Flyer’s 2019 / 2020 OOC schedule is starting to take shape already.

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1069972859185963012?s=21

We’re also in the Maui Invitational with BYU, Georgia, Kansas, Michigan State, UCLA, Virginia Tech and Chaminade.

The H&H games with Miss. State and Auburn are expiring so it will be interesting to see how these games are replaced. I am guessing there will be Mountain West game involved

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The Flyer’s 2019 / 2020 OOC schedule is starting to take shape already.

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1069972859185963012?s=21

We also in the Maui Invitational with BYU, Georgia, Kansas, Michigan State, UCLA, Virginia Tech and Chaminade.

The H&H with Miss. State and Auburn are expiring so it will be interesting to see how these games are replaced. I am guessing there will be Mountsin West game involved
So you've given up on this season?

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Last night's win over Detroit did wonders for Dayton's KenPom numbers...jumping all the way to around 82.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Dayton falls to 5-4 losing at #8 Auburn 82-72.

This is probably the most brutal schedule I've seen for a Dayton team. I think they said on the pre game show last night that you have to go back to 2003 to find this type of stretch for Dayton. We still have to play Tulsa too at home next Sunday. Tulsa just beat Oklahoma State and Kansas State.

Right now Dayton's BPI SOS is 15 and the defunct RPI SOS is 26.

Even after last night's loss, Dayton moved up about 10 spots in KenPom to 74.

Despite being 5-4, I'm really curious to see how this Dayton team does in conference play. With the level of competition they have played it will be interesting to see how Toppin does in this league. I'm hoping it translates to dominating. Even in the TV broadcast last night the word "NBA" was uttered a couple of times by the crew working the game for Toppin.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Dayton falls to 5-4 losing at #8 Auburn 82-72.

This is probably the most brutal schedule I've seen for a Dayton team. I think they said on the pre game show last night that you have to go back to 2003 to find this type of stretch for Dayton. We still have to play Tulsa too at home next Sunday. Tulsa just beat Oklahoma State and Kansas State.

Right now Dayton's BPI SOS is 15 and the defunct RPI SOS is 26.

Even after last night's loss, Dayton moved up about 10 spots in KenPom to 74.

Despite being 5-4, I'm really curious to see how this Dayton team does in conference play. With the level of competition they have played it will be interesting to see how Toppin does in this league. I'm hoping it translates to dominating. Even in the TV broadcast last night the word "NBA" was uttered a couple of times by the crew working the game for Toppin.
Flyer75, the Tulsa game is a neutral site game at Mohegan Sun, so it doesn’t get any easier, but it would be nice to win to go 2 and 4 against Butler, VA, OK, MSU, Auburn and Tulsa. The OK game was the only time where I thought the Flyer’s resorted to last year’s tendencies. We were physically outclassed in the four losses. It looks like VCU and SLU are winning with defense, but with due respect to these teams, they are aren’t going to be overwhelming physical mismatches, with elite offensive players.

I don’t think that we were really ever in the game last night. Auburn kicked us in the nuts from the beginning, but I thought the Flyer’s stayed in the game especially in the second half.

AG will show whether he has coaching chops in conference play, and the balance of the OOC. He needs to win out in OOC and finish in the top 4 in conference.

I don’t believe that Grant has the players to play like he wants yet. This year’s team has talent and hopefully wins 20 games, but it lacks size and numbers. He recruited 6’11 275 lbs Jordy Tshimanga (Nebraska) and 6’10 Moulayle Sissoko to replace Cunningham so next year we’ll see these two plus Toppin 6’9”, Mikesell 6’7”, and Petrocelli at 6’8”.

AG is recruiting at a higher level than Archie, but we aren’t going to see teams like Archie’s that went out every night and executed. I think that AG wants a poor man’s Auburn team - one that pressures the ball and out classes the other team physically and athletically.

The rest of the schedule is a test for AG IMO. He has good players that are physical and play hard so there is no excuse for losing. The problem is that the Faithful will fall back to “he doesn’t have his team yet” if this year turns to shit, and if next year’s team underperforms, it will be “coaches need four years”. This is how it works at UD.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
For a while I thought Toppin was either injured or ill since he didn't seem to be on the court very often. Turns out he only played 17 minutes. Barring foul trouble, he needs to get more playing time getting a lot of the minutes going to Davis, then from Mikesell/Landers. Davis hasn't really done much especially considering he is playing at the 2. Agree that the competition to date for the Flyers has been very good and should put them in a position to do well in conference play certainly better then the bottom 50% some predicted before the start of play. If that doesn't come to fruition, the anti AG crowd will get bigger and louder.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Flyer75, the Tulsa game is a neutral site game at Mohegan Sun, so it doesn’t get any easier, but it would be nice to win to go 2 and 4 against Butler, VA, OK, MSU, Auburn and Tulsa. The OK game was the only time where I thought the Flyer’s resorted to last year’s tendencies. We were physically outclassed in the four losses. It looks like VCU and SLU are winning with defense, but with due respect to these teams, they are aren’t going to be overwhelming physical mismatches, with elite offensive players.

I don’t think that we were really ever in the game last night. Auburn kicked us in the nuts from the beginning, but I thought the Flyer’s stayed in the game especially in the second half.

AG will show whether he has coaching chops in conference play, and the balance of the OOC. He needs to win out in OOC and finish in the top 4 in conference.

I don’t believe that Grant has the players to play like he wants yet. This year’s team has talent and hopefully wins 20 games, but it lacks size and numbers. He recruited 6’11 275 lbs Jordy Tshimanga (Nebraska) and 6’10 Moulayle Sissoko to replace Cunningham so next year we’ll see these two plus Toppin 6’9”, Mikesell 6’7”, and Petrocelli at 6’8”.

AG is recruiting at a higher level than Archie, but we aren’t going to see teams like Archie’s that went out every night and executed. I think that AG wants a poor man’s Auburn team - one that pressures the ball and out classes the other team physically and athletically.

The rest of the schedule is a test for AG IMO. He has good players that are physical and play hard so there is no excuse for losing. The problem is that the Faithful will fall back to “he doesn’t have his team yet” if this year turns to shit, and if next year’s team underperforms, it will be “coaches need four years”. This is how it works at UD.
Wow...I didn't realize the Tulsa game was neutral site. Will be a tough game for sure. I saw somewhere today that Oklahoma, VA, and Auburn are a combined 32-3!!!!

I agree with almost everything you said. There is no reason why this OOC schedule combined with how bad the A10 is this year that Dayton shouldn't be fully prepared for league play and finish Top 4. If AG can't do that this year then all hope is lost.

101 - 120 of 206 Posts