Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 140 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Dayton beats W. Michigan to go to 6-5.

Toppin goes 11-11 from the field and Cunningham adds 28 and 8. Crutcher has a double double with 14 and 10 assists.

Dayton will go as far as this trio can take them.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Did Anthony Grant recruit Toppin and Crutcher?
Archie Miller got Toppin. (let me check that to make sure).

Grant got Crutcher way late in the game when Chattanoga changed coaches and Crutcher de committed.

Not sure on Toppin, he committed under Grant it looks like. May 5, 2017 but I'm not sure how the recruiting process went. I know he was way under the radar at the time.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Coach Slo was recruiting Obi when he was an assistant at GTown so Grant gets credit. AG is a very good recruiter. He landed Dwayne Cohill after only being at UD for 4 months. Dwayne was a top 100 4 star recruit. He looks like he’ll be a really good player. Recruiting will not be one of AG’s problems.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Coach Slo was recruiting Obi when he was an assistant at GTown so Grant gets credit. AG is a very good recruiter. He landed Dwayne Cohill after only being at UD for 4 months. Dwayne was a top 100 4 star recruit. He looks like he’ll be a really good player. Recruiting will not be one of AG’s problems.
No, I've always said the guy could recruit. He got nationally ranked classes at Alabama. It's a matter of what he can do with them lol.

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
No, I've always said the guy could recruit. He got nationally ranked classes at Alabama. It's a matter of what he can do with them lol.
Not sure I would hold Alabama against him. When I think of basketball that program never pops into my head.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Not sure I would hold Alabama against him. When I think of basketball that program never pops into my head.
Like Flyer75 said, AG had recruiting classes that included 5 star recruits, and Alabama was mediocre in a league that was mediocre outside of KY and Florida. I like AG and I’m not ready to shit can him, but that concerns me. I like the way this year’s team is playing - 180 degrees different from last year. The Tulsa and Oklahoma games reminded me too much of last year.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Not a defense of Grant, just an observation. Unless you're a Kansas, UNC, Duke, Ky and maybe a couple of others, when you get five and high four star recruits its not eas to integrate them into a team approach. Pre college they were the stars, barring a breakaway they probably touched the ball on every possession, their poor defense was overlooked,and they got a lot of shots. Not easy to get them to buy-in to the coaches wishes when they know they're as good if not better than anyone else on the team. Bill Self on the other hand can say "son take a seat" and put in another player just as highly rated.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Dayton goes to 7-5 with a convincing win over PC. The game was never close and Dayton led by 28 in the first half.

PC had a definitive plan to do nothing but double team Toppin and Cunningham. Crutcher made them pay for it.

Week off and then game 3 of this 6 game stretch..

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Crutcher, J Davis, Landers and Cohill took advantage of the double downs and took their man off the dribble. They were a combined 25 for 39. Last year’s offense would have ground to a halt.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Presbyterian took 30 three point shots in the second half and I think that Cunningham struggled guarding the three. Plus he had two fouls in the first half with the Flyer’s up by +20 so he sat more than usual in the first 20 minutes

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Chase Johnson announced his transfer out of Florida the other day. He’s at the Dayton game today. Highly recruited out of HS as a solid 4 star player.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Dayton goes to 3-0 in this 6 game stretch. Ga. Southern came in and made about everything they threw at the basket in the second half to include a shot that I would take in my drive way playing HORSE...and he made it.

94-90 is the final. Obi Toppin broke Twitter with a between the legs dunk on a fast break. He finished with 22. I'll let Jaffie post the video.

Bleacher Report picked up the video of it and its gone viral.....but I think a better play by Obi was at the end of the first half when Obi missed a short jump shot from the side but grabbed it in mid air with one hand and flushed it home.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
David Jablonski

Verified account
@DavidPJablonski
2m2 minutes ago
More
Anthony Grant on Obi Toppin's dunk: "A little risque for my tastes but not very many people on this earth can make that play."

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
121 - 140 of 206 Posts