Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 160 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think Grant was talking to him at the next stoppage and basically giving him the same speech as the Indians manager in Major League after Willie Mays Hayes basket catch.

"Nice dunk Obi. Dont ever f___'in do it again."

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Highlights from today’s game for all of you closet Flyer Faithful ...

https://youtu.be/oU_JDSiz0Qo

Check out Obi at the 1:52 mark ... maybe more impressive than the between the legs dunk
I am far from a closet Flyer faithful but I do know the competition that my team has to face. I have watched a bunch of UD games. Toppin and Cunningham can be a real problem if the Dayton guards can play under control and work the ball inside/out. Sometimes the guards forget about them and freelance too much. If I have those two down low I am setting picks and working the roll among other things to get them the ball.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
What happened to the Fire Grant crowd?
For those who never got past 3rd grade reading class.....

Dayton is playing a 6 game stretch that even if I were coaching should go 6-0 in. This does nothing for Grant or the team as far as an NCAA bid goes. Dayton, by not beating MSU at home and winning one other game (Tulsa, OK, or VA) will not get an at large bid this year.

Grant had brain farts in yesterday's game again. Ga Southern going on a huge run in the second half....no time out. Like one guy said on Twitter, its like he's saving his timeouts for a year end bonus. We've seen this in multiple games this year.

And then the elephant in the room was no Obi or Cunningham in the game for the final 2 minutes of the game. Now, the counter to that is, "Well, Dayton won a close game with who Grant had in there". Fine, but I don't know of too many coaches who would have BOTH of them on the bench in a 2 point game with 90-120 seconds left in the game. It's not like he put 90 percent FT shooters in there for them.

Finally, Obi has to see more minutes. 20 minutes?!!! Are you kidding me Grant?? Mikesell played 28!!!!

Obi 20 min 9-10, 22 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 turnovers

Mikesell 28 min 2-6, 5 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 turnovers

Mikesell had probably the worst 6 minute stretch to start a game yesterday that I've ever seen from a DAyton player. I'm not anti Mikesell.....he has to play some because we have 7 players but if anyone should be getting the 28 minutes it should be Obi. At the pace he was on he would have scored 30-32 points.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
For those who never got past 3rd grade reading class.....

Dayton is playing a 6 game stretch that even if I were coaching should go 6-0 in. This does nothing for Grant or the team as far as an NCAA bid goes. Dayton, by not beating MSU at home and winning one other game (Tulsa, OK, or VA) will not get an at large bid this year.

Grant had brain farts in yesterday's game again. Ga Southern going on a huge run in the second half....no time out. Like one guy said on Twitter, its like he's saving his timeouts for a year end bonus. We've seen this in multiple games this year.

And then the elephant in the room was no Obi or Cunningham in the game for the final 2 minutes of the game. Now, the counter to that is, "Well, Dayton won a close game with who Grant had in there". Fine, but I don't know of too many coaches who would have BOTH of them on the bench in a 2 point game with 90-120 seconds left in the game. It's not like he put 90 percent FT shooters in there for them.

Finally, Obi has to see more minutes. 20 minutes?!!! Are you kidding me Grant?? Mikesell played 28!!!!

Mikesell had probably the worst 6 minute stretch to start a game yesterday that I've ever seen from a DAyton player. I'm not anti Mikesell.....he has to play some because we have 7 players but if anyone should be getting the 28 minutes it should be Obi. At the pace he was on he would have scored 30-32 points.
I questioned the Davis, Cohill, Crutcher, Landers and Mikesell line up too. In defense of Grant he used all of his timeouts yesterday and couldn’t stop the clock to substitute offense defense.

Obi still plays like a freshman especially on the defensive side of the ball. It seems that he is starting to develop a more rounded offensive game - putting the ball on the floor and a little baby hook.

Georgia Southern was probably the Best Buy game in our OOC and I would be surprised if they don’t win the Sunbelt

·
Registered
29 Posts

Mikesell had the highest +/- at +7 and Obi had the lowest at -3.

Mikesell is not great at any one thing, but he is very good at many things.
Obi is flashy and his dunks get a lot of attention, but he has a lot to learn about other phases of the game.

I am a big Obi fan, but I don’t share your view that AG is making a big mistake by not taking away Mikesell minutes to increase Obi’s minutes.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Mikesell had the highest +/- at +7 and Obi had the lowest at -3.

Mikesell is not great at any one thing, but he is very good at many things.

Dr. G was doing the color commentary of the game, and the bolded statement is almost verbatim what he said.

Mikesell also seemed to be the guy they threw the ball to beat the press and get it over midcourt.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Again, I'm not anit Mikesell at all. He has to play. But again, those first 6 minutes were awful...if you don't believe me, go back and look.

But +/- stats are very deceiving. Mikesell played a ton in the first half when Dayton built a double digit lead so his +/- was really good then. He started the second half with a wide open 3 that he air balled. He went 1-5 from 3. He's 1 for his last 14 from 3. He's looked terrible the last 4 games. I can assure you, I never look at +/- stats and neither do most people...they never tell the whole story. A walk on can get in a game in a blow out and if the blow out continues they leave with a gaudy +/- line when they didn't do squat for their team. Your +/- line can literally be the same just by standing on the court and doing nothing.

Again, I want Mikesell to do well but right now I don't see where Obi and Mikesell are even in the same sentence at this point in the year. One is only getting better and better with more court time while the other seems to digress each game. Yes, I agree with Jaffie that Obi needs to work on some things out there but his upside is huge. Mikesell will never create the mismatch that Obi does with most teams that Dayton will play.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Chase Johnson, former top 100 recruit and UF transfer, officially visited Dayton yesterday.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1081176000510287874?s=21

Unfortunately, it is an afterthought to national college basketball expert jake weingarten. No mention of Johnson attending the Georgia Southern game in Saturday.
Chase Johnson commits to the Flyer’s

https://twitter.com/flyerhoops/status/1081925412261896197?s=21

6’9” / 220lbs former 4 star recruit. He has had some health issues, but is expected to be an impact player in the A10. He also requesting a waiver from the NCAA to be eligible for the first semester next year, and have three years of eligibility.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
4 Years... He redshirted his 1st year
I don’t know that this necessarily accurate. Typically you get 5 years to play 4, so the NCAA would have to grant him a sixth year. He played two games this year at Florida and suffered a neck injury so I guess it’s possible.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No he already got a waiver for his freshman year. If he gets another waiver of the two games he played this year, then CJ will be eligible in October with 4 years remaining; if not he will be eligible in December of 2019 with 3 1/2 years left.

141 - 160 of 206 Posts