Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
No he already got a waiver for his freshman year. If he gets another waiver of the two games he played this year, then CJ will be eligible in October with 4 years remaining; if not he will be eligible in December of 2019 with 3 1/2 years left.
Swampy, you get five calendar years to play four seasons of competition starting the day in which you enroll at any college. Last year he received a medical redshirt year. This year he played 2 games before being hurt and has to sit for a year due to his transfer. Last year and this year are two of his five calendar years. He is not eligible to play until the second semester of next year, so if he doesn’t receive a waiver to play the first semester of 2019 he will have 2.5 years of eligibility. If he receives the waiver he’ll have three years. His waiver is for the one year in residence rule for transfers.

He can at some point petition the NCAA for an extension to the “five year clock”

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
I have no idea what Grant can do with these guys but on paper next year is a seriously loaded team. Losing only Cunningham and adding transfers from Michigan, Nebraska, and Chattanooga. Crutcher, Davis, Landers, Toppin, Mikesell, ect all back along with Cohill. Grant knows how to recruit no doubt...I'll give him that much. Recruits at a much higher level than what Archie did.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
I completely forgot about Moulaye also coming in as a freshmen next year.

Toppin 6'9"
Moulaye 6'10" (this is a self proclaimed height..so this maybe 6'8" or 6'9" when he's measured at Dayton) Rivals lists him at 6-10 223. I just saw some photos of him. I can't believe how big he is really. Looks like he's 22 years old already.
Johnson 6'9"
Jordy 6'11"

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Regardless of who you root for, you have to hope the young man's (Johnson) injuries aren't chronic, and that he can get his game back to the level that made him a four star recruit. He's been away from competition for a while. With the big bodies, Grant is going to have to figure out a way to not clog up the area inside the key, but those guys coupled with Landers and Watson should make rebounds hard to come buy for other teams.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
Someone posted an interesting stat on Twitter.

Dayton leads the nation in the fewest fouls committed (prior to the Richmond game so probably still Top 3-4 at least). Now, this may not seem like a significant stat but when you are only playing 7 guys, it is very significant. It means we are keeping our best players on the court and not having to pull Frankie or a walkon into the game in key situations.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/toppin-track-for-one-best-freshman-seasons-dayton-history-earns-rookie-award-for-third-time/THYX4p9a5T3S3R28Nm5VQM/ (David Jablonski)

Toppin is on pace for one of the best freshman seasons in UD history. He’s averaging 13.6 points per game through 14 games. Johnny Davis set the Dayton freshman record (14.3) in 1973-74. Jim Paxson (1975-76) and Tony Stanley (13.1) rank tied for second.

Toppin could shatter the freshman field-goal percentage mark (60.2) set by Chris Wright in 2007-08. Sean Finn owns the school record of 70.7 (2002-03).

Toppin had 16 points, nine rebounds, three blocked shots and two assists in a 72-48 victory Sunday against Richmond. He had six offensive rebounds and continued to show a knack for put-back dunks.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #170

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I wasn't able to watch/listen to the game and was really surprised to see that in 58 combined minutes, Cunningham and Toppin only had six field goal attempts between them. I realized Davis had what Flyer fans hope is a break-out game, but six shots for those two is surprising, and that Cunningham had only one, more so.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I wasn't able to watch/listen to the game and was really surprised to see that in 58 combined minutes, Cunningham and Toppin only had six field goal attempts between them. I realized Davis had what Flyer fans hope is a break-out game, but six shots for those two is surprising, and that Cunningham had only one, more so.
GW packed in a zone defense (thankfully Davis exploited it) and they were immediately double teaming JC as soon as he touched the ball.

I thought we did a bad job of finding either one of them on the baseline though. It was open numerous times. And in fairness, Toppin finally looked human out there missing at least one or two dunks on lobs (difficult ones) and missed a complete bunny layup.

The silver lining is this, Dayton looked like a D3 school for the first 10 minutes, Toppin and Cunningham did absolutely nothing, and Dayton still won a road game in A10 play. I'll take it and move on.

·
Registered
883 Posts
GW packed in a zone defense (thankfully Davis exploited it) and they were immediately double teaming JC as soon as he touched the ball.

I thought we did a bad job of finding either one of them on the baseline though. It was open numerous times. And in fairness, Toppin finally looked human out there missing at least one or two dunks on lobs (difficult ones) and missed a complete bunny layup.

The silver lining is this, Dayton looked like a D3 school for the first 10 minutes, Toppin and Cunningham did absolutely nothing, and Dayton still won a road game in A10 play. I'll take it and move on.
Definitely. It doesn't matter how down the league may be, road games are almost always a tough out, regardless of the opponent. You gotta be able to win ugly.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Well, that 6 game stretch is over and Dayton did what they had to do...go 6-0. Tough game coming up Wednesday night AT VCU then I believe another 6 game stretch where Dayton probably needs to go 5-1 before the schedule really piles on them in A10 play. So hopefully Dayton is no worse than 8-2 after 10 games.

https://daytonflyers.com/news/2019/1/13/mens-basketball-udmbb-edges-umass-at-ud-arena-on-sunday-72-67.aspx

Davis with 21 (has to be the league POW with 46 points on 13-19 from 3).
Crutcher 19 and 4
Cunningham 15 and 7

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Just wondering if are any discussions among local Dayton fans that the five guys on the bench in street-clothes (transfers/injured) may be better than the five that start.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #176 (Edited)
Just wondering if are any discussions among local Dayton fans that the five guys on the bench in street-clothes (transfers/injured) may be better than the five that start.
Not sure about better but looks to be quite a loaded team next year. If Dayton can finish Top 4 this year, I would have to think they would be a Pre Season 1-3 pick next year for the league.

Losing Cunningham will hurt but there is plenty of size and depth there to fill that void. Grant will at least have plenty of options next year.

I still think the player to watch that will really be the game changer for Dayton is Ibi Watson at 6'5" and SG. Haven't had a player of his size at that position since Cooke left and before Cooke we rarely had that. Hard for Dayton's of the world to get 6'5"+ SG.

Now, if you are asking "can they be better", then ya, I think so if all goes right. Still only optimistic with caution on Chase Johnson though but even without him I think the team will be really really good. He might just be icing at this point.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Not sure about better but looks to be quite a loaded team next year. If Dayton can finish Top 4 this year, I would have to think they would be a Pre Season 1-3 pick next year for the league.

Losing Cunningham will hurt but there is plenty of size and depth there to fill that void. Grant will at least have plenty of options next year.

I still think the player to watch that will really be the game changer for Dayton is Ibi Watson at 6'5" and SG. Haven't had a player of his size at that position since Cooke left and before Cooke we rarely had that. Hard for Dayton's of the world to get 6'5"+ SG.

Now, if you are asking "can they be better", then ya, I think so if all goes right. Still only optimistic with caution on Chase Johnson though but even without him I think the team will be really really good. He might just be icing at this point.
Since we’re talking about next year I think that we have the preseason championship locked up. I don’t know that any other A10 will have this type of team on paper. The Flyer’s will be returning 4 starters again, plus Toppin.

I’ve heard that Ibi Watson has looked very good in practice. He also has a 44.5” vertical. At 6’5” and 200 lbs I think we’ll see him at the 3 a lot.

Rodney Chatman isn’t mentioned a lot, but he may be the best of the 4 transfers IMO. He started at UT Chattanooga and averaged 13 ppg along with 5 rpg and apg. Crutcher is playing well enough right now to get consideration for an all league team, but Rodney will give AG another quality PG.

I don’t recall a UD team with the size that Grant will have next year. Tshimanga is 6’11” (275 lbs), Sissoko 6’10, Toppin 6’9” and Chase Johnson 6’9”, Policelli and Mikesell are 6’7”. No one in this group is a project.

We’ll see if AG can get this group to gel.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts