Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Very strange timing. What happened between his request for a release and this news? This isn't a "You can't fire me... I QUIT!" situation from Mooney, is it?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I get a text once or twice a week with rumors and information from a AAU coach. Sunday I got a text and at the tail end of some VCU news he said this: Also, Buck is asking for his release from U of R which will likely hit the public within a week. Coach Mooney is asking him to think more about the release.

Those were his exact words. I conveyed them to urmite via a private message before the ESPN tweet. urmite is busy doing tax work so he cannot be bothered. Ha!
And here I thought it was a PM...
Not so private anymore...

Anyway, if you were dismissed from the team, do you still need a release to change schools? I assume so and I assume you would get it.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
Very strange timing. What happened between his request for a release and this news? This isn't a "You can't fire me... I QUIT!" situation from Mooney, is it?
My guess is that the violation is that he was talking to other schools. Dismissing him now takes off any restriction of movement. I would also be worried about how they dealt with this situation because if Mooney played hardball it is going to get out. From what I heard he asked out last week. They made him wait and maybe he talked to other coaches. Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
My guess is that the violation is that he was talking to other schools. Dismissing him now takes off any restriction of movement. I would also be worried about how they dealt with this situation because if Mooney played hardball it is going to get out. From what I heard he asked out last week. They made him wait and maybe he talked to other coaches. Just a guess.
Maybe they asked him to refrain from whatever got him the in season suspension, and he decided to ask for his release instead, so they took that as a no to their "cease and desist" request? Just a guess...

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
Maybe they asked him to refrain from whatever got him the in season suspension, and he decided to ask for his release instead, so they took that as a no to their "cease and desist" request? Just a guess...
Maybe so but let's hash this out. By the way, I like Buck and watched him play for Henrico High. I know this is soul crushing for fans. That being said, I heard on Sunday that he asked to be released. He was told to think about it. Now he is being dismissed for breaking the rules of the athletic dept's policy. Seems fishy. No? Seems like they did not like him talking. Then the ESPN information leaked after we discussed the situation. This seems like they did not want to grant him the release because he was talking. Or was it to save face after Fore left? Either way it is crushing for the program and Buckingham.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
And here I thought it was a PM...
Not so private anymore...

Anyway, if you were dismissed from the team, do you still need a release to change schools? I assume so and I assume you would get it.
Another thing. If Buck was causing trouble why would the dept put out videos and promotional materials out after I heard he asked for his release? Then they dismissed him. Very strange.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Seems like this is coming from the AD not Mooney. I really doubt this has to do with him asking for a release, I have heard this was due to a recurring issue (it got him a 1 game suspension last season).

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I did miss that one, but the lead here is that the kid initially wanted his release. That usually doesn't end well. If Buckingham and/or Sherod leave(s) UR, Mooney's seat would have to be scorching, no?
Hah! We can't let you guys have all the drama, now can we?

Mooney beat VCU twice this year. That's normally good for a 5 year extension.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
That is what it appears to be. Their fans want to make Buck into a pothead though. Bet when it all comes out in the wash it is because he asked for his release and talked to a couple of school reps while they withheld his release. Having Buck transfer after Fore left would have been a horrible look for Mooney so he called his fixer. Betcha.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
It could be, but I can’t blame UR for dismissing him if he was communicating with other programs prior to his release. It would be nice if coaches would start calling each other out if they’re sure tampering is happening.

Edit: I highly doubt weed is the source of Buckingham’s dismissal. Positive tests happen A LOT at schools all over the country, but they rarely result in something this serious. It’s usually handled in-house.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
It could be, but I can’t blame UR for dismissing him if he was communicating with other programs prior to his release. It would be nice if coaches would start calling each other out if they’re sure tampering is happening.

Edit: I highly doubt weed is the source of Buckingham’s dismissal. Positive tests happen A LOT at schools all over the country, but they rarely result in something this serious. It’s usually handled in-house.
Reefer should be sold at the concession stands during games.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
I read the article in the Richmond Times Dispatch this morning. I still do not understand dismissing the young man even if he failed a drug test or missed some classes. Why not just allow him to transfer instead of basically giving him a shady record?

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I read the article in the Richmond Times Dispatch this morning. I still do not understand dismissing the young man even if he failed a drug test or missed some classes. Why not just allow him to transfer instead of basically giving him a shady record?
That is the part I’m struggling with, too. There has to be something more substantial behind the scenes; if I had to bet, it would be on the aforementioned suspicion of tampering.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
That is the part I’m struggling with, too. There has to be something more substantial behind the scenes; if I had to bet, it would be on the aforementioned suspicion of tampering.
But if that is the case why not grant his release? As far as I can tell he asked for his release several weeks ago.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I guess it’s not for us to understand. He apparently violated one or more of Richmond’s athletic department policies. We can speculate all we want about that, but breaking the rules is breaking the rules.

Not surpringly, the only such rule the Times Dispatch article mentions is the one related to marijuana and other drugs. Why mention that one and none of the others? I guess the reporter likes to speculate, as well.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
This is all very confusing. Also, disappointing, as I thought the team would be markedly better with a year of experience. Now losing Fore and Buckingham, looks like treading water.

Something strange must have happened, as he was practicing and they had a nice video of him on the home site (supposedly after he'd asked to transfer.) At least they've taken that down.

If he is sent packing this way, does it allow him to enroll in another A10 school?

21 - 40 of 170 Posts