Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I read the article in the Richmond Times Dispatch this morning. I still do not understand dismissing the young man even if he failed a drug test or missed some classes. Why not just allow him to transfer instead of basically giving him a shady record?
He wasn't dismissed for failing a single drug test, he repeatedly failed tests.

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Repeated? I heard two. I also heard that he asked for his release. It was held up and when he pushed to move with his request they used his past transgressions as a way to keep him in house. It was a You stay it will be fine but if not you will be dismissed kind of thing. I know the term for this. I also trust the source. De'monte likes ganja. I wonder if they plan to do it this way with all of their athletes. If so expect a a bunch of dismissals.

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
My texts came from a AAU coach and a writer. Both matched what was akin to blackmail. They better hope he did not get/save any texts or emails. Bet momma Buck is about to blow this up soon.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Repeated? I heard two. I also heard that he asked for his release. It was held up and when he pushed to move with his request they used his past transgressions as a way to keep him in house. It was a You stay it will be fine but if not you will be dismissed kind of thing. I know the term for this. I also trust the source. De'monte likes ganja. I wonder if they plan to do it this way with all of their athletes. If so expect a a bunch of dismissals.
Well that would be a crime committed by Richmond's athletic department (extortion). Buck should sue and get his eligibility back next semester at a new school if this is the case.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Story forthcoming. I have my popcorn.
I don't know if you are implying that your sources think legal action will be taken or not, but if Richmond did as you and others are suggesting (dismissed Buck as retaliation for asking for his release, or blackmailed him with failed drug tests to make him stay on the roster) those would be both serious crimes committed by Richmond and legal action should be taken (along with a cleaning of house of anyone involved.) I would like to think that my school would be above such petty and criminal acts, it would be completely unacceptable.

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
I am saying this is not over. I am sure UR will deny and say they cannot talk about it but emails and other things are public record.

Let me ask you, how many athletes do you think smoke reefer? I do not see many dismissals due to weed. Do you? If failed ganja tests resulted in dismissal there would not be any college football or basketball or baseball or name the sport. Buck is a good kid from a good family and I can bet this story is not finished. It may become a he said she said type thing but what they did to him is horrible. All just to keep him and when that did not happen to save face at his expense.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I think I had a post that disappeared.

Anyway, this all makes no sense. Once an athlete indicates he wants to transfer, how many schools really want that person on their team?
There are rules in place to keep him from transferring to a competitor.
But what do you gain from keeping him? Nothing. He's not going to contribute the way you need.
So what's the point in "blackmailing" him to stay.
Something just doesn't make sense here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Money makes people do strange things. Mooney is/was backed into a corner. The mob is outside his door with torches and pitchforks. Maybe he made a decision without thinking it through. If so, that decision will snowball and finally lead to his dismissal.

I'm hoping anyway.................

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I am saying this is not over. I am sure UR will deny and say they cannot talk about it but emails and other things are public record.

Let me ask you, how many athletes do you think smoke reefer? I do not see many dismissals due to weed. Do you? If failed ganja tests resulted in dismissal there would not be any college football or basketball or baseball or name the sport. Buck is a good kid from a good family and I can bet this story is not finished. It may become a he said she said type thing but what they did to him is horrible. All just to keep him and when that did not happen to save face at his expense.
Richmond has dismissed players for weed before, key players in the middle of the season. Most recently was Derrick Williams.

I do not doubt that most players smoke, and I don't think that it should be illegal or grounds for dismissal. I don't make the rules for Richmond though, Richmond has a set of rules and it seems like they stick to them despite the damage it does to the program.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Williams had another incident besides the weed situation that was the main reason for his departure. The weed was the assumed reason. It's in the past, so no reason to discuss it any further.

I wonder if Mooney and staff are begging Paul Friendshuh to come back for his final year. That is their best option at the moment.

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Richmond has dismissed players for weed before, key players in the middle of the season. Most recently was Derrick Williams.

I do not doubt that most players smoke, and I don't think that it should be illegal or grounds for dismissal. I don't make the rules for Richmond though, Richmond has a set of rules and it seems like they stick to them despite the damage it does to the program.
But if he had stayed they would have overlooked those rules. At least that is what I heard.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
But if he had stayed they would have overlooked those rules. At least that is what I heard.
Again, if that is true then Buck needs to sue and people need to be fired. Blackmail is completely unacceptable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
He should have released him. If Mooney had problems with recruiting before this situation, he will really have some now. He and his staff might get blackballed on the recruiting circuit. If I were his staff, I'd be updating my resumes and sending out feelers for other opportunities.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Unless the young man is to be charged with some felony or committed a serious breach the University's Student Code of Conduct, AND there was an effort to 'extort' him, it's hard to believe the program and Mooney come out of this unscathed.

If a player is dismissed, do they lose their scholarship immediately, or do they get to finish out the semester?

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Again, if that is true then Buck needs to sue and people need to be fired. Blackmail is completely unacceptable.
Good luck with getting the school to talk. Hopefully he saved his texts or was wearing a wire the other week at practice. Makes no sense to dismiss the kid especially when he wanted a release. Does it make sense to you? He will have a bunch of offers so he will land on his feet.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Good luck with getting the school to talk. Hopefully he saved his texts or was wearing a wire the other week at practice. Makes no sense to dismiss the kid especially when he wanted a release. Does it make sense to you? He will have a bunch of offers so he will land on his feet.
What doesn't make sense to me is blackmailing Buck. Not only is it morally corrupt, there is nothing to gain from it, and a ton to lose by blackmailing a player. There is no face saved dismissing a player vs. letting them transfer, in fact dismissing a player seems like a bigger black eye on the program to me.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I'm going to refuse to believe Mooney is that dumb until proven otherwise.
(Face it, I've been wrong a lot. Another one won't hurt me.)

But who does that? Really?

"Coach, I'm want to transfer to another school for (insert reason)."
"No, I'm not going to sign a release. You've been doing pot, so I'll hold that over your head. You're playing here next year."
"Fine coach, but if I'm here next year can you just imagine what my effort level is really going to be?"
"OK then, you're dismissed from the team."

Come on. Who does that?
Also, in the original article it said he would be staying to finish the academic semester.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sure looks like desperation to me. Not, "thanks for your time here. We'll survive. Good luck in the future. Next man up."

41 - 60 of 170 Posts