Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Don’t know if this was mentioned but...
UR stated policy is
First failed drug test, warning.
Second failed drug test, 1 game suspension. (GMU?)
Third failed drug test, dismissal.

How much they follow that policy and whether it is uniform... as a VCU PG once said, We will see...

The timing on everything in Buck’s situation doesn’t really fit any one logical scenario so this should get interesting.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
What doesn't make sense to me is blackmailing Buck. Not only is it morally corrupt, there is nothing to gain from it, and a ton to lose by blackmailing a player. There is no face saved dismissing a player vs. letting them transfer, in fact dismissing a player seems like a bigger black eye on the program to me.
1. Dismissing a player makes him look bad. People will wonder and speculate about him being a bad kid from now on.

2. The program would look bad if one of their all-time best recruits/players leaves on the cusp of another starter leaving.

They chose to make the player look like a bad actor instead of releasing him and wishing him well. During that decision making process when he was told to think about his release is when the shady stuff happened.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Those six and seven-man classes are pretty untenable in today's game, unfortunately. You can almost guarantee transfers. I wonder if Mooney will redshirt two or three of them like last season; the trouble with that, though, is the grad transfer rule down the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1. Dismissing a player makes him look bad. People will wonder and speculate about him being a bad kid from now on.

2. The program would look bad if one of their all-time best recruits/players leaves on the cusp of another starter leaving.

They chose to make the player look like a bad actor instead of releasing him and wishing him well. During that decision making process when he was told to think about his release is when the shady stuff happened.
And you have inside information on the real circumstances? I know you think you're smart, but I suggest you start future speculation with a proviso. It'll help preserve your perceived persona.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
And you have inside information on the real circumstances?
I do. The same person told me that Ododa was leaving over a week before it was announced. He sent me a text saying Buckingham had asked to be released. This was at least a week before the dismissal was announced. After that he told me what happened. urmite can at least vouch for my timeline. Not sure why the swipe at me for stating what I was told. I certainly did not make it up.

61 - 80 of 170 Posts