Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
So? Tell us about him.
He's from Holland and, if I recall this correctly, came over to the states for his junior year of HS last year. Very much a euro style big.

The thought is that being a newcomer, and as he's flown a bit under the radar. The counter to this is that the second team on his list was Coppin State.

I'd rather try our hand at a big with some ability to move the ball and maybe shoot vs the myriad of stiffs we've offered in the past.

I don't trust tape, but here's some if you're interested: http://www.hudl.com/v/29SPbw

https://youtu.be/rPf98-OmkNM

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
He's from Holland and, if I recall this correctly, came over to the states for his junior year of HS last year. Very much a euro style big.

The thought is that being a newcomer, and as he's flown a bit under the radar. The counter to this is that the second team on his list was Coppin State.

I'd rather try our hand at a big with some ability to move the ball and maybe shoot vs the myriad of stiffs we've offered in the past.
It seems Martelli has made a point of recruiting the modern Euro style big man. Oliva, Funk, Longpre, and now this kid all fit that mold. A surplus of those guys can definitely make an offense tough to defend. See: Davidson.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

It seems Martelli has made a point of recruiting the modern Euro style big man. Oliva, Funk, Longpre, and now this kid all fit that mold. A surplus of those guys can definitely make an offense tough to defend. See: Davidson.
That is my feeling too, Bill. I think Phil is trying to build a team more like the NBA to some extent. Lots of switching, long wingspans, and shooting.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
But it should be red hot. Or not even anything because he should be gone. He should have been gone in 2011. The program is dying before everyone's eyes. We're choking ourselves to death with our own ineptitude.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I don’t know the inner politics at SJ’s but I suspect that Phil will be around next year. All institutions suffer from the inability to make decisions and are hampered by board approval processes. I bet that Phil has more political capital than the new AD.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I don’t know the inner politics at SJ’s but I suspect that Phil will be around next year. All institutions suffer from the inability to make decisions and are hampered by board approval processes. I bet that Phil has more political capital than the new AD.
From what I hear, the board won't be making the decision--the President and AD will be.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
From what I hear, the board won't be making the decision--the President and AD will be.
Phil is what 63? If what you say is true (I’m not doubting you) about body language etc he probably needs to step down and the University should make him an Assistant AD or something along those lines. He has lost his team.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Phil is what 63? If what you say is true (I’m not doubting you) about body language etc he probably needs to step down and the University should make him an Assistant AD or something along those lines. He has lost his team.
Phil cannot be part of SJU in a formal role anymore. He just can't. I like him but everyone needs to have their professional lives severed from each other. I don't want him to banned from campus. I just dont want him in a coach or Athletics position anymore. It needs to be clean. No entanglements.

And the chemistry is truly awful. If the rumors are true, it's amazing that transfers haven't even been announced yet. Nobody wants to play together and everyone on the staff has lost control. It has to end.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Phil cannot be part of SJU in a formal role anymore. He just can't. I like him but everyone needs to have their professional lives severed from each other. I don't want him to banned from campus. I just dont want him in a coach or Athletics position anymore. It needs to be clean. No entanglements.

And the chemistry is truly awful. If the rumors are true, it's amazing that transfers haven't even been announced yet. Nobody wants to play together and everyone on the staff has lost control. It has to end.
Phil has been involved with SJU since 1985? Give him some dignity. He’s done a lot for the University. His time has run out.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm confident that if the shoe was on the other foot, the UD fans would not get caught up in "dignity." You included, JAF.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've always been a fan of SJU and Martelli despite the fiasco that occurred in Olean back in 2004. I usually root for them when they aren't play SBU, but man, they haven't been able to string together consecutive solid seasons in a while it seems.

It'd be weird not seeing Martelli on the sidelines with SJU, but I have to imagine they could get a very good coach to come in and take over if it comes to that.

SJUHawk, any popular names amongst SJU fans for a future HC?

21 - 40 of 96 Posts