Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
SJHawk mentioned other wish list items to improve the program or put the program more in line with the P5. There needs to be commitments made to a new coach. Again, it’s not a new arena and it all doesn’t need to happen right away. SJU could be a really good job for a young up and coming HC or top assistant at a high profile P5. The Hawks don’t need a coach to come in and rebuild or rebrand the program. It’s a really good high mid major job.

I like her sense of urgency. More AD’s need to say this type of stuff.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Per verbalcommits.com Jon Rothstein 6'7" redshirt sophomore wing Charlie Brown has declared himself eligible for the 2019 NBA draft per his Instagram page. Best of luck to him. Don't know if the departure of Phil Martelli influenced his decision but since he made the A-10 All Conference 2nd team and averaged 19 pts. and 6.2 rebounds he must feel that he is ready. He also shot 84.5% from the free throw line.

After making the all rookie team his freshman year averaging 12.8 pts. and 5.0 rebounds he had the misfortune to fracture his left wrist during preseason practice last year. The injury was initially expected to cause a 3 or 4 week absence but it kept him out the entire season!

·
Piker
8,545 Posts
As a fan of a program who has dealt with many many coaching changes it is not lost on me how it is sooooo different when a coach is fired than when a team's coach is plucked due to success. I hope St Joe's will be successful but Lange will have to mine the transfer and JUCO market to get things going. I agree with sjhawk that Nelson would have been a better choice in the short term due to history. He would have garnered interest and would have been able to keep some players. It is tough to watch.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hopefully, Brown doesn't retain an agent and gets the feedback that he'd be better served with another year of college ball. Hope Kimble reconsiders as well. The A-10 needs to hold onto some their better players, bring some others in to augment them so the conference can raise its profile with good ooc wins next season and beyond.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hopefully, Brown doesn't retain an agent and gets the feedback that he'd be better served with another year of college ball. Hope Kimble reconsiders as well. The A-10 needs to hold onto some their better players, bring some others in to augment them so the conference can raise its profile with good ooc wins next season and beyond.
Brown has hired an agent and will absolutely not be returning.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Per verbalcommits.com Jon Rothstein 6'7" redshirt sophomore wing Charlie Brown has declared himself eligible for the 2019 NBA draft per his Instagram page. Best of luck to him. Don't know if the departure of Phil Martelli influenced his decision but since he made the A-10 All Conference 2nd team and averaged 19 pts. and 6.2 rebounds he must feel that he is ready. He also shot 84.5% from the free throw line.

After making the all rookie team his freshman year averaging 12.8 pts. and 5.0 rebounds he had the misfortune to fracture his left wrist during preseason practice last year. The injury was initially expected to cause a 3 or 4 week absence but it kept him out the entire season!
As a fan of a program who has dealt with many many coaching changes it is not lost on me how it is sooooo different when a coach is fired than when a team's coach is plucked due to success. I hope St Joe's will be successful but Lange will have to mine the transfer and JUCO market to get things going. I agree with sjhawk that Nelson would have been a better choice in the short term due to history. He would have garnered interest and would have been able to keep some players. It is tough to watch.
Brown has hired an agent and will absolutely not be returning.
What does any of this have to do with the 2018-2019 Saint Joseph’s Hawks?

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Whichever ass blood keeps putting Kimble and Bynum, along with goddamn conditional formatting, back on the SJU roster on the scholarship tree, cut it the f*** out! You are screwing up the whole show!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Whichever ass blood keeps putting Kimble and Bynum, along with goddamn conditional formatting, back on the SJU roster on the scholarship tree, cut it the f*** out! You are screwing up the whole show!
Why not leave them on there since they have not officially transferred yet?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I'm assuming from the lack of mention that the hiring of John Griffin, Jr. as an assistant didn't move the needle much for fans of the 2019-2020 Hawks.

He's the son of former Hawks player and head coach John Sr. and has been an assistant at Bucknell under Nathan Davis.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'm assuming from the lack of mention that the hiring of John Griffin, Jr. as an assistant didn't move the needle much for fans of the 2019-2020 Hawks.

He's the son of former Hawks player and head coach John Sr. and has been an assistant at Bucknell under Nathan Davis.
Any insight from Bucknell-land?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Not really. He was well-liked, FWIW, but he is also a former player. There's a lot of "he'll be a great head coach someday" sentiment but that's often what people say when a popular guy leaves. I'll let you know after the coming season. Bucknell has been very successful under Nathan Davis but it's been happening with Paulsen's players. Bucknell's two best players this year were seniors Kimbal MacKenzie and Nate Sestina -- the last of Paulsen's recruits. The cupboard isn't exactly bare, but it's suspect, so we will have to see. Recruiting to Bucknell and to St. Joseph's are two different animals, though, and he presumably has his Philly bona fides.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Not really. He was well-liked, FWIW, but he is also a former player. There's a lot of "he'll be a great head coach someday" sentiment but that's often what people say when a popular guy leaves. I'll let you know after the coming season. Bucknell has been very successful under Nathan Davis but it's been happening with Paulsen's players. Bucknell's two best players this year were seniors Kimbal MacKenzie and Nate Sestina -- the last of Paulsen's recruits. The cupboard isn't exactly bare, but it's suspect, so we will have to see. Recruiting to Bucknell and to St. Joseph's are two different animals, though, and he presumably has his Philly bona fides.
It seems, though, that Griffin's PHL ties (including his brother, Matt, who is the HC at Roman Catholic HS), didn't exactly translate to many players ending up at Bucknell.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
No, but as I said, recruiting to Bucknell is considerably different that recruiting to St. Joe's. The Academic Index of the Patriot League really limits who you can go after. Bucknell has to recruit nationally, looking for under the radar players with strong academic records. This year's roster included two players from Philly (and environs), one other from PA and others from Ontario, Indiana, Illinois, Connecticut, Georgia, North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, California and Texas. I'm not sure how Griffin's Philly background could have helped the Bison much.

Could be a different story for the Hawks, emphasis on could.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts