Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
A P5 will play a good A10 team if they don't have to return the game. You get a nice payday, a big boost if you win, and a loss doesn't do too much damage.
Not anymore. Not with 20 game conference seasons, exempt tourneys, conference challenges, gavitt games, and historical local rivalries, etc. They are already committed to playing 90% of their schedule every year before they even start the scheduling process.

Maybe Wazzu would, but not even VCU or Dayton wants to play Wazzu on any court.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If there isn't a conference rule against it, there should be, because it's terrible.

UD and DC could go 2-0 in that non-conference spot, playing each other guarantees 1-1.
Did the conference do itself, UD and DC a dis-service by failing to schedule them in a H&H? As Chetburger points out, getting a game against better teams isn't easy, and you're left with games against teams, that at selection time, people will say yeah, nice record but who did they beat?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Did the conference do itself, UD and DC a dis-service by failing to schedule them in a H&H? As Chetburger points out, getting a game against better teams isn't easy, and you're left with games against teams, that at selection time, people will say yeah, nice record but who did they beat?

The conference pretty clearly laid out who they think the top 4 are and then scheduled them a lot together. This is a good strategy but they decided not to double up Davidson and Dayton for some reason. Maybe not to load them all up too much and have too many 1-1 series? This is about as rational as I will get. This topic will piss me off all season.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
The conference pretty clearly laid out who they think the top 4 are and then scheduled them a lot together. This is a good strategy but they decided not to double up Davidson and Dayton for some reason. Maybe not to load them all up too much and have too many 1-1 series? This is about as rational as I will get. This topic will piss me off all season.
Hey at least we get the pre-season top 2 on the road.

(rolls eyes, stabs self in neck)

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
It's a double-edged sword. You don't really want your top 5 teams playing eight games against each other, because the "worst performing" of those five could play themselves out of an NCAA bid by going 1-7 in those games.

In a vaccuum, you'd want to give your top five contenders: a slightly higher percentage of marquee games (not so many that only winning one kills their chances), while also avoiding the middle and giving the remainder of their games against the very bottom.

Of course, this is the Atlantic 10. When you try and project "which are the easy games and which are the hard games" in June, you end up looking really stupid the following March.

Also...

The conference pretty clearly laid out who they think the top 4 are and then scheduled them a lot together. This is a good strategy but they decided not to double up Davidson and Dayton for some reason.
I really am not entirely certain the A-10 is scheduling the double-opponents on a strategic level, as opposed to some "long term" matrix to make everyone play the whole league like X number of times in X years. I'd have to go team by team since we went to 18 games to be sure on that, but....

I also think it's a hybrid of both of those two things! Like, 16 of 18 are based on a formula, and the remaining two for everyone are like "What's the best matchup we need to put on TV a second time? and then give everyone else two games against someone."

21 - 26 of 26 Posts