Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading all this nonsense about other teams, it's time to give Mooney and the boys their own thread.
Yes, it might be his last season, but it should at least be entertaining.
90% of the scoring returning, some good additions, hopefully we'll be a little more competitive than the last couple years.

Also, enough about not being able to get P5 games.
We're going to Barclays to play Wisconsin in the Legends, on the road to Alabama, and starting a H/H with Wake Forest...at home.

Maybe we'll just sneak up on people this year.
Meanwhile, y'all can EYOA.

·
Piker
8,608 Posts
Are you sure that Richmond has a home and home with Wake Forest? I thought that it was Boston College. or was it Vanderbilt? Kind of the same type teams though.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might as well take advantage of being undefeated for a day or so. Impressive comeback in our opener; down 10 with a 1:40 left, came back to force and win OT.
Good shooting percentages (doesn't seem like either team played much defense) but like the 22 assists to 8 TO's.
Hope springs eternal.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I’ve never understood the “90% of the scoring returns” thing. If you have a bad season, and then lose 10% of your scoring on top of that, that can’t be good?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since it means nothing, it's good to see the Spiders leading the A-10 under the old RPI rankings at #11 per Warren Nolan.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

"The Spiders (5-1) will again look to Koureissi Saturday, when Boston College (4-3) visits the Robins Center. For the third consecutive game, UR will face an experienced Power Five big man of quality. And this time, Grant Golden may not be available.
Golden, the 6-10 Richmond junior who averages 12 points and 8.5 rebounds, rolled his left ankle while landing on an opposing player’s foot late in the Auburn loss. Golden did the same thing (same ankle) against Saint Francis Nov. 8 in the Spiders’ season-opener. Golden did not miss game time following the Nov. 8 injury, but had six days to recover before UR's second game.
Richmond coach Chris Mooney said Friday that Golden did not practice Thursday or Friday, and would be a game-time decision for the 2:30 p.m. tip Saturday."

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I’ve never understood the “90% of the scoring returns” thing. If you have a bad season, and then lose 10% of your scoring on top of that, that can’t be good?
Well, if your program is good at developing players, they in theory get better. But I know what you mean. In the season long pool I'm in (Seasonlongpool.com), I'm always looking for bargain team bringing back a lot of starters/scoring/upperclassmen.... and always think "Yeah, but they're bringing back 85% of a team that went 9-22... so.... uh.... why would they suddenly go 20-12 and win the conference tournament?"

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Whats the current vibe on Mooney? Spider fans have been trying to jam a FOR SALE sign in his yard for the last five years only to see the AD bring him back to the bemoaning of fans. Now he's exceeding expectation and has the team playing about as well as anyone in the league. If this year ends well (say 20-11 NIT) has he bought a couple more years, and more importantly has he bought good will w/the fans. Or have the fans seen enough and this year's turnaround isn't going to change the opinion that his ceiling is what it is and UR is just putting off the inevitable by delaying his pink slip.

·
Piker
8,608 Posts
Whats the current vibe on Mooney? Spider fans have been trying to jam a FOR SALE sign in his yard for the last five years only to see the AD bring him back to the bemoaning of fans. Now he's exceeding expectation and has the team playing about as well as anyone in the league. If this year ends well (say 20-11 NIT) has he bought a couple more years, and more importantly has he bought good will w/the fans. Or have the fans seen enough and this year's turnaround isn't going to change the opinion that his ceiling is what it is and UR is just putting off the inevitable by delaying his pink slip.
In a stunning turn of events the Fire MooneyMafia has commissioned local artist, Paul DiPascale, to create a life sized monument of Chris Mooney to placed at the north side of the Robins Center. The suggestion of having the statue tieless with natural wavy hair is still being discussed along with others like whether he should have a confused grimace or not.

·
Piker
8,608 Posts
The Spiders appreciate all this love from Dayton and VCU fans.
I was driving around this morning and I heard John Freinstein being interviewed by a local radio host. He is high on Mooney and the Spiders. FYI: Feinstein is the one who gave Richmond the two AP votes for the top 25 this week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts