Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
We have moved from the secret scrimmages to exhibition games. Anyone had one? I saw that Rhody won one last night. VCU played well last night against CIAA Virginia State.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Not really. Spiders play Randolph Macon soon. Right?

Congrats on beating Va Tech. I still smile at the thought VCU's 40 point drubbing of them.
For us:

Scrimmage 10/26

Exhibition 11/3

Opening night 11/8

For you:

Scrimmage 10/19

Exhibition 10/26

Opening night 11/5

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Does anyone in the A-10 ever reportedly lose these secret scrimmages? Or is that unreported?
I think Secret Scrimmages are vastly misunderstood.

I've "worked" many of them doing stats for coaches, or running clock. How the scrimmage works is... literally up to the coaches to decide.

There's not necessarily a scoreboard in the gym showing the score. There COULD be, but what happens in a closed scrimmage could virtually be anything.

Most scores leak because the assistant coaches are keeping player stats on the bench, and they add up points at the end and say "we won" and that gets out. When I did stats, I did my team and I used "one player" for the entire roster of the opponent, because we didn't care what they did.

VERY FREQUENTLY you see someone report a secret scrimmage score and it's INSANELY high-scoring for regulation game -- For example, Michigan State basketball lost to Gonzaga, 103-87 in a secret scrimmage -- because they didn't play a 40 minute game! That score is just the assistants adding up their player points and the points scored against their team all day long. But there were probably like six segments of the game, 10-minutes each.

I've seen coaches talk to each other and say "Hey refs we hired, we're not going to shoot free throws after fouls anymore, we'll just take it out of bounds because we don't need another team in the gym to practice free throws." Players could rack up 6 to 15 personal fouls and keep playing, no big deal.

Coaches will just talk to each other and go through every aspect of the game. "Hey, you want to work on zone for a while? Let's go zone." And "What else do you want to work on?" We did buzzer-beater offense/defense for like 10 minutes.

This is why you scrimmage someone you don't have on your schedule, so you can run your buzzer-beater plays and not have them know it's coming later.

Frequently, you're looking for someone to scrimmage with who most closely resembles your first big opponent. Like Bona played Kent State, who had been on our schedule for a while, so the coaches know each other, but we're not playing anymore. AND they have a lot of quick guards and undersized bigs -- like a lot of the A-10.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
For us:

Scrimmage 10/26

Exhibition 11/3

Opening night 11/8

For you:

Scrimmage 10/19

Exhibition 10/26

Opening night 11/5
Just for fun and my natural jab.

So public universities are more competitive because of their low cost and value.

Hence VCU schedule is more advanced since they have better students then slower Richmond students. (wink smile)

jpschmack, Thanks for the behind the scene on secret scrimmages.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Just for fun and my natural jab.

So public universities are more competitive because of their low cost and value.

Hence VCU schedule is more advanced since they have better students then slower Richmond students. (wink smile)

jpschmack, Thanks for the behind the scene on secret scrimmages.
At the same time, those from public universities do not know when to use than vs. then.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Duquesne is playing at West Virginia now.
https://wvusports.com/watch/?Live=3774&type=Live
I may be wrong (a frequent comment from my better half) but I believe this is more like an exhibition game with proceeds to benefit the victims of the tornadoes that hit the Dayton area earlier this year as well as for the victims and their families of the mass shooting that occurred in Dayton's Oregon District.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts