Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
If everyone returns (esp. Lamb and Becker) and stays healthy, I like the Cats chances in 2019-2020.

I think the three frosh (RDunc, Davis and Moll) will all take big steps forward. It will be interesting to see if Everett steps up his senior year like so many others (Payen and DrewU of late) have.

·
Premium Member
32,581 Posts
If everyone returns (esp. Lamb and Becker) and stays healthy, I like the Cats chances in 2019-2020.

I think the three frosh (RDunc, Davis and Moll) will all take big steps forward. It will be interesting to see if Everett steps up his senior year like so many others (Payen and DrewU of late) have.
Everett is hopefully due for a bounce back year. He did all the usual Everett-things defensively and rebounding but his shot was way off this year. I don’t think he should shoot 47% from 3 on the season, but he’s way better than the 36% he shot this year.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

Not overly concerned about Lamb leaving at all. Confident Becker stays unless some dominoes fall that gives him a situation too good to pass.

Where concern might be? Thinking that all three freshman you mention will become sophomores in UVM unis next year. Not hard to take a guess who.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
  • I hope Moll practices dribbling below his knees instead of up to his shoulders all summer
  • Ra needs to come back with more roar
  • Aaron Deloney is going to be fun
  • I thought I'd read somewhere that RDunc beat his brothers' HS scoring records. Was I wrong about that? I can't find proof. Maybe it was Ev?
  • If Patella doesn't have more of a role next year we will probably find out John Becker has a learning disability

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
2019-20 Roster, as of 3/22/19

*SENIORS*
Everett Duncan
Anthony Lamb

*JUNIORS*
Ra Kpedi
Bailey Patella
Ben Shungu
Stef Smith

*SOPHOMORES*
Ryan Davis
Robin Duncan
Isaiah Moll
Sky Nash
Kevin Garrison (W/O)
Jake Lorenzo (W/O)

*FRESHMEN*
Eric Beckett
Aaron Deloney
Deng Adiang (W/O)

Open Scholarships: 1

·
Premium Member
32,581 Posts
Can someone remind me again what was the injury status suffered by Nash this year? Wonder what can be reasonably expected from him moving forward.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Can someone remind me again what was the injury status suffered by Nash this year? Wonder what can be reasonably expected from him moving forward.
I thought I had picked up somewhere that it was still in conjunction with the ACL he tore; that perhaps he wasn't all the way back when the season started, it became apparent he wasn't ready to go, and he got shelved (while also undergoing further procedures/treatment).

That may not be 100% correct, though. Either way, I think only safe expectation level with him at this point is "He'll give us more in uniform than he will in street clothes." Low bar, plenty of room to exceed that.

·
Premium Member
32,581 Posts
You can really break 2019-20 UVM down, today, into 2 buckets:

*Lamb- Best player in the conference by a huge margin
*Stef- Starter
*Shungu- Starter
*Everett-Starter experience. Dependable, know exactly what you're getting

Guys with stuff to prove:

*Davis-Looks like a Rotation Piece; needs experience/confidence
*R. Duncan- Rotation Piece now; need to improve offense
*Moll-Rotation Piece now; lots of talent/potential
*Kpedi- ?
*Patella- ?
*Nash- ?

With the second Bucket, In my opinion, since Becker has been head coach, I don't think I've ever seen a UVM roster with so many players (6) where the range of outcomes are so wide: Like anything from could Transfer out, to could be a Starter, Could be a nice piece off the bench, could be the 13th man. If someone told me any of those scenarios were possible for those 6 kids I couldn't be surprised by any of them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Expecting another fun season watching Vermont basketball 2019-20. 1 more year of Anthony Lamb dominating the league. Hoping they put together another great schedule to challenge the team.

I expect Smith to take a big step forward. He'll be counted on to be the secondary scorer. I think Shungu proved himself capable too. EvDuncan is a 3 and D guy. Solid in that role but hasn't shown the ability to create on offense.

Davis and Kpedi will get opportunities. If Davis can play some defense and rebound the coach will play him because he spaces the floor on offense. Kpedi will need to cut down on fouls, play defense and rebound. He hasn't shown much on offense.

RDuncan and Moll are the wild cards. They can do well in this league. If RDuncan can improve his shooting .. If Moll improves his finishing .. They could be fun to watch.

Patella and Nash haven't stepped up. Don't know what to expect. They might even be transfer candidates.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I follow Nash on Twitter. He seems to like it here. He's pretty involved in a lot of non-basketball things.

If he's playing next year, not sure how much to expect from him. It's been a looong time since he's played competitive ball. I hope he comes back better than ever. I'm pulling for him.

I came away from the tourney game really impressed with how solid Shungu was. He handled the ball A LOT. He scored more than he usually does and held his own against FSUs guards. I'm excited about what may be ahead for him.

Agree with the previous posters, we need to develop some depth. That lack of depth really showed in the FSU game. Also we'll need some secondary and tertiary scorers to help out Lamb. Presumable Stef will be one of those guys...TBD who else will fill that role.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'm having a hard time guessing. What are your thoughts?
I doubt that you are. I think you want me to say who. Line drive three pointer up. Brick, front end. The one who fits that description is the most "at risk." when we're talking about who stays/goes. Hope that clue helps.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,251 Posts
I would've guessed....slow as a glacier, can't jump over a #2 pencil, goes to school far from home.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I guess I'm not too familiar with the process. Would the school be unhappy with his performance, or would the player be unhappy with his playing time and lack of success on the court? Why not give it one more year?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I would've guessed....slow as a glacier, can't jump over a #2 pencil, goes to school far from home.
Given that these days you basically have to re-recruit your entire roster year to year, anything is possible.

But I will say I'm pretty sure the once mustachioed player that gets many accolades is sticking around.

1 - 20 of 772 Posts