Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

561 - 580 of 613 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,315 Posts
The trio of Powell/Davis/R. Duncan were horrific 3pt shooters as freshmen. Because of how they play, that shot is going to be critical for Davis and Duncan to be able to hit. Powell really doesn’t need that shot and IMO should focus on 16-17ft and in.

How they have looked shooting them in intrasquad scrimmages is nice to hear but effectively meaningless. Whether there’s been actual improvement is going to show up in games against D1 defenses. We will know quickly, because those shots will be given to all 3 by opposing defenses until they can prove they can hit them, or stop taking them.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The trio of Powell/Davis/R. Duncan were horrific 3pt shooters as freshmen. Because of how they play, that shot is going to be critical for Davis and Duncan to be able to hit. Powell really doesn’t need that shot and IMO should focus on 16-17ft and in.

How they have looked shooting them in intrasquad scrimmages is nice to hear but effectively meaningless. Whether there’s been actual improvement is going to show up in games against D1 defenses. We will know quickly, because those shots will be given to all 3 by opposing defenses until they can prove they can hit them, or stop taking them.
I'm not so sure about that. The defensive intensity was very high. All 10 guys on the floor know what the offensive options are and where the ball may go. There weren't many uncontested shots. I tend to think that teams that don't know our sets as well will get broken down on defense and lead to some uncontested shots.

With that being said, you're not wrong, how they look now is nice but nothing matters until it matters.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I agree about the defense in the scrimmages being very good. There were quite a few steals and blocks, as well as the resulting fast breaks which UVM plays very well. With minutes being hard to come by the level of competition in both scrimmages was very high. A lot of hustle was shown.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I agree about the defense in the scrimmages being very good. There were quite a few steals and blocks, as well as the resulting fast breaks which UVM plays very well. With minutes being hard to come by the level of competition in both scrimmages was very high. A lot of hustle was shown.
Catamount defense would be super good all winter if they could practice against every one of their upcoming match-ups all summer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Assuming that DeMuth, Giddens and Davis have had to practice playing Lamb for months now...their D should be getting pretty decent by now.
And their humility in check.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Assuming that DeMuth, Giddens and Davis have had to practice playing Lamb for months now...their D should be getting pretty decent by now.
And their humility in check.
Lamb is injured. I don't know how long he has been, but he certainly hasn't been practicing for at least the last couple of weeks.

Another thing that stood out to me, Giddens got double teamed every time he touched the ball in the paint. Thought that that was interesting. I don't think that many opposing teams will be able to rotate fast enough to double team both Giddens and Lamb when they are on the floor together...should be fun to watch.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I saw on the program's Twitter account Lamb was highlighted in The Athletic. Did anyone who subscribes to that publication see the article? Is there a way to post an image/screenshot on here of the part about UVM or Lamb for us peasants to read?

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Lamb is injured. I don't know how long he has been, but he certainly hasn't been practicing for at least the last couple of weeks.

Another thing that stood out to me, Giddens got double teamed every time he touched the ball in the paint. Thought that that was interesting. I don't think that many opposing teams will be able to rotate fast enough to double team both Giddens and Lamb when they are on the floor together...should be fun to watch.
Wait, what? Lamb has been injured and not practicing for weeks?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Nice article. I hope Lamb takes the NBA's advice and spends the entire season shooting from NBA 3 point range. Really get that skill down!
Zero shot at NBA...does not have a unique elite NBA skill nor the athleticism. Guys at his size are a dime-a-dozen in the NBA. Will make great money in Europ.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Zero shot at NBA...does not have a unique elite NBA skill nor the athleticism. Guys at his size are a dime-a-dozen in the NBA. Will make great money in Europ.
I believe that Salty's point was that he'd be happy if Lamb spent his whole season floating around the perimeter chucking up deep threes as opposed to doing what he normally does.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
More praise for Lamb that I don't remember seeing here. It was in https://theathletic.com/1319094/2019/10/24/the-top-20-wings-in-college-basketball/

"3. Anthony Lamb, 6-foot-6 senior, Vermont

In case you missed it: Lamb’s junior season was insane. It is easy to fly under the radar at Vermont, even for a team that fairly easily found itself in the NCAA Tournament, which is why it’s possible for you to be reading a college basketball web site without totally having internalized just how good Lamb was. But, man, was he good. With a 32.7 percent usage rate and a shot percentage of 34.5 — both top-25 marks nationally — Lamb more or less was Vermont’s offense. Despite that volume, though, he finished the season with a 117.6 offensive rating and a positive assist to turnover ratio. He shot 57.6 percent from 2, 36.5 percent from 3 and 76.1 percent from the line … and he got to the line all the time. He was also the Catamounts’ best interior defender and rebounder, a bona fide shot-blocker with a massive motor. He did everything, and he did it well.

Vermont’s first-round March matchup with Florida State was a brutally unforgiving one, and one that robbed Lamb of his chance to play deeper into the tournament and show the world just how good his junior campaign really was. Here’s hoping he gets another chance."

Yes, that's third best among the best 20 "wing" players in NCAA MBB.

I recently subscribed to The Athletic and it is well written and researched and obviously accurate in their reporting.

561 - 580 of 613 Posts