Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

581 - 600 of 683 Posts

·
Realist/A-hole
5,175 Posts
Anthony Lamb (minor hamstring injury) didn’t play in Saturday’s exhibition against Brown, but he looked to have lost 20 pounds or so and Vermont coach John Becker said he’ll use Lamb at the 3 and the 4 the season. Lamb will be given freedom to develop his perimeter game. -----per Jeff Goodman

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'm not sure if everyone saw this news: one of the local reporters tweeted that Lamb is expected to start practicing today. Shungu in about a week.

I assume that this means we'll see Lamb play against St Mikes, barring any further injury. I would think that the staff would want to get him some live game reps before the start of the season.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm not sure if everyone saw this news: one of the local reporters tweeted that Lamb is expected to start practicing today. Shungu in about a week.

I assume that this means we'll see Lamb play against St Mikes, barring any further injury. I would think that the staff would want to get him some live game reps before the start of the season.
Yes!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts

From what I had gathered at the game Saturday was that if that had been a game of any significance whatsoever, Lamb would have been able to go (albeit not at 100%). So this sounds about right.

If others want to keep lighting candles at the Lamb-strings vigil, probably wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

I'm sure they'll limit his playing time vs. St. Mike's because they'll reach a point in the game where they're not going to need him. Fully feeling this is walk ons get some run before the under 4 media timeout in the second half kinda game. They were picked absolutely dead last in the NE-10 based on coaches poll points. Complete start over. The poor souls have to play UConn first before playing UVM too. Heard they're getting about $25k though, so that's nice. UConn will probably beat them by 40, and I think UVM could beat UConn on their best day this season.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Anyone catch the VPR story this morning on this year's program on Morning Edition? It was very good and in depth, and a had a bit of background on Becker and Lamb that I haven't heard before. Sounds like this is the the year Lamb will really transition to an SF/Wing.

It doesn't look like the story/audio file is posted on VPR's website yet, but I'll check again later today and post here if I find it. Ryan Davis and his development over the summer was also talked about. He's going to be exciting to watch this season. I'd love to see a Lamb-Davis-Giddens lineup in the 3-4-5 but I don't think that's likely to happen.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Anyone catch the VPR story this morning on this year's program on Morning Edition? It was very good and in depth, and a had a bit of background on Becker and Lamb that I haven't heard before. Sounds like this is the the year Lamb will really transition to an SF/Wing.

It doesn't look like the story/audio file is posted on VPR's website yet, but I'll check again later today and post here if I find it. Ryan Davis and his development over the summer was also talked about. He's going to be exciting to watch this season. I'd love to see a Lamb-Davis-Giddens lineup in the 3-4-5 but I don't think that's likely to happen.
Yes, I listened to the VPR report and was going to post that link here, but couldn't find it on their website. Just checked again and doesn't seem to have been posted. It was quite an interesting discussion.

Re Lamb, I knew he looked slimmer but they were saying he hadn't actually lost weight (which I at least had assumed), just redistributed it. Probably a part of the work he's been putting in as part of his NBA-readiness efforts. He was apparently given to understand that he would be a SF (3) in the NBA and not a PF, so I wonder if he'll play in that role at least sometimes, now that we'll have both Giddens and Davis who could play 5 and 4 (if I have those numbers right; that's kind of after my time).

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
VPR: With Lamb Back And New Transfers, A Strong Outlook For UVM Men's Basketball Season
"There is a feeling that we'll be a pretty deep team and that we'll play maybe 10, 11 guys," said UVM head coach John Becker, now in his ninth season. "We haven't been as deep in recent years and wearing down opponents and bringing in waves of guys is a good way to play.

"But if the top seven guys separate themselves, maybe we won't be so deep. If that happens the other guys are going to have to play at a higher level to get into the rotation."
"Defensively, I think potentially this could be our best defensive team because of our size, length and athleticism," Becker said. "We're in a really good spot, everyone is buying in. The next phase is going out and putting it all together on the court."

·
Registered
149 Posts
If Lamb is truly transitioning to the 3 position, it creates some interesting scenarios.
The big man front court rotation then becomes Giddens-Davis-Demuth.
EvD finds his minutes at the 2 and shared with Lamb.
Other teams find speed mismatches with UVM on offense, maybe forcing Becker to more zone.
The UVM depth gives Becker plenty of advantageous options.
Obviously his team can go very big.
They can also go small and fast. (Stef, Shungu, Lamb, Patella, EvD/RD, etc.)
All of this is only to say that we could be in for a very entertaining season.
Let the games begin!

581 - 600 of 683 Posts