Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

721 - 740 of 774 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I think it gets a little cloudy with mid-season transfers sometimes. You'd think in his case it would be straight-forward:

2017-18: Played as a freshman
2018-19: Played as a sophomore
2019-20: Played one semester as a junior
2020-21: Play one semester as a redshirt junior
2021-22: Play as a redshirt season

Four full seasons of basketball over 5 years. Very much within the parameters of the NCAA.

But I think there's the possibility the NCAA could rule his 4 games as a "full season," which would leave him with one season left. And if he came on in December next year, those 20ish games would also constitute a "full season."

So the clarification point would need to be: how does the NCAA view the games he played this year at GW? Full season? Half season? A season that is redshirtable? From there, that will probably guide a) when he can/will become eligible, and b) for how long?

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
I think it gets a little cloudy with mid-season transfers sometimes. You'd think in his case it would be straight-forward:

Four full seasons of basketball over 5 years. Very much within the parameters of the NCAA.

But I think there's the possibility the NCAA could rule his 4 games as a "full season," which would leave him with one season left. And if he came on in December next year, those 20ish games would also constitute a "full season."

So the clarification point would need to be: how does the NCAA view the games he played this year at GW? Full season? Half season? A season that is redshirtable? From there, that will probably guide a) when he can/will become eligible, and b) for how long?
So in typical confusing NCAA fashion...I expect him to play Galladauet

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
Would also be curious to hear why Mazzulla left GW. He was named captain for this season.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
Would also be curious to hear why Mazzulla left GW. He was named captain for this season.
His playing time (unless injured) has dropped like a rock with 3 straight DNP's.

Quite the read up above...didn't go through all of it but seems like something dirty.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
And some kind words from the GW hoops fans over there. They think he'll be dressed as a Catamount for the 12/31 game.

I'd be surprised. Though the folks on that board had the impression it was a mutual decision for him to go.

·
Registered
170 Posts
His playing time (unless injured) has dropped like a rock with 3 straight DNP's.

Quite the read up above...didn't go through all of it but seems like something dirty.
What about it seems "dirty"?

I didn't read every word on all four pages, but sounded to me like a simple case of loss of PT due to the new coach having a different idea than the last on who deserves it. All the fans in that thread seem to be praising Mazzulla for his work ethic and effort and spirited attitude. Didn't see anything about him being a problem in the locker room or off the court, but maybe I missed it?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Best guess is because he only played 4 games, that was less than the 20% (?) of games you can play in before redshirting. That was a thing we all did the math on when Nash got hurt and had to redshirt his freshman year, I think. So, I think he can move to UVM, sit out the remainder of the season, and have his 2 years back starting 2020-21. But in the era of the transfer portal and waivers, who knows.

As for why, seems to me that he was told by the new coach he wasn't in his plans and perhaps saved him the hassle of telling him when he might out of luck as a senior with only one year left, and not a degree in hand which could potentially hinder his immediate eligibility somewhere else, so they made the break before the semester ended to put him in a better playing situation. That, and I'm sure he didn't like the DNPs, and the coach wants as many scholarships as possible in the rebuild.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
I did not get that sense at all. Definitely more info needed.
I mean that as in jamion Christian running him... Specifically the post on the first page stating it was the kids fault that it played out like this. That jc needed to go through ad to remove him from team.

One of the insiders who claims to have known of this in advance litterally says that there is in my own words more then meets the eye.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
FWIW I (unfortunately) stumbled upon & read GW forum during Lonergan saga. Place is next level. Makes Siena message board look sane & rational and voice of reason.

Wouldn’t take anything out of a GW fan site in either direction.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I mean that as in jamion Christian running him... Specifically the post on the first page stating it was the kids fault that it played out like this. That jc needed to go through ad to remove him from team.

One of the insiders who claims to have known of this in advance litterally says that there is in my own words more then meets the eye.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
We will likely find out soon enough.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Just to clarify something: he didn't register three-straight DNPs. He announced he was leaving the program (per VerbalCommits) on 11/21, and another GW-themed account reported mentioned he was not at the Bahamas tournament (where they played their last 3 games).

I know it's a little confusing because he's still on the GW website roster.

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
BFP article saying should be eligible second semester next season. I assume he’ll be a junior and have two years remaining.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
So, I think he can move to UVM, sit out the remainder of the season, and have his 2 years back starting 2020-21. But in the era of the transfer portal and waivers, who knows.
Waivers, specifically, were what I forgot to mention in my original post. These days, even if this year was considered a "full season," it's possible he could apply for (and receive) a waiver to be eligible in November next year as opposed to mid-December. I just don't know anymore.

I haven't researched every mid-season transfer (because that would be impossible), but I've come across a lot of guys who got 4 years total (including a transfer year that included a paltry number of games), and not really anyone who has gotten that 5th-year. I wish I could find the rules, or this situation referenced in writing, but I haven't seen anything.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Would UVM even want him to play at all next year? It'll be the senior years for Stef and Benny, so there probably won't be a ton of PG minutes for Justin.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Would UVM even want him to play at all next year? It'll be the senior years for Stef and Benny, so there probably won't be a ton of PG minutes for Justin.

Just a thought!
I think he only has 3 semesters of eligibility left, but I could be wrong on how this works. So he would play second semester next year and then full year in 2021-22. I’m assuming all parties are in board with this, as we will have 5 guards looking for PT the second half of next year.

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
I've also lost track of the scholarship situation. Since Nash's injury retirement we have an additional scholarship available, correct? So we theoretically still have one more scholarship available for next year (?)

721 - 740 of 774 Posts