Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

741 - 760 of 774 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I've also lost track of the scholarship situation. Since Nash's injury retirement we have an additional scholarship available, correct? So we theoretically still have one more scholarship available for next year (?)
I believe we have two available. Those using scholarships in 2020-21 right now are...

S. Smith
A. Deloney
R. Duncan
D. Demuth
B. Patella
I. Powell
E. Beckett
B. Shungu
R. Davis

and now...

G. Lefebvre
J. Mazzulla

That's 11.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I've also lost track of the scholarship situation. Since Nash's injury retirement we have an additional scholarship available, correct? So we theoretically still have one more scholarship available for next year (?)
I would not be surprised if Nash keeps his scholarship, the same way Speidel did. Nash has still been with the team for home games. He's done a tremendous amount of community involvement. I bet Becker let's him keep it, because it's the right thing to do.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I would not be surprised if Nash keeps his scholarship, the same way Speidel did. Nash has still been with the team for home games. He's done a tremendous amount of community involvement. I bet Becker let's him keep it, because it's the right thing to do.
I believe the circumstances of the official "medical retirement" allows him to keep his scholarship without counting against our limits. Not exactly, but similar to the way Speidel has earned his without the team count being penalized.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,256 Posts
Josh isn't counting against the limit though due to an NCAA waiver. It's one or two depending on whether Nash is still on an athletic scholarship or not. Whether the team could seek another waiver or not I don't know. Whether the school could pay for a 15th scholarship or not is another story.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
He'll be around the program no doubt. I got the feeling though they were honoring his scholarship for this year (though, he might have some waiver like GoCatsGo said...so many waivers), but after next year he wasn't going to be on the 13 limit. He's a junior academically, doesn't have to be at every practice or away game so he can up his course load and credit hours. He might be able to accelerate his graduation track and put himself in a position to graduate in May, or at least January next year, then get a start on grad work which I have a feeling would be covered by scholarship from the school itself.

Good kid to have around the team as an ambassador, and he's also smart because he knows everyone will vote for him during his 2026 run for the congressman at large seat in Vermont based on the fact they remember he played some basketball at UVM (and his policies, of course).

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I believe the circumstances of the official "medical retirement" allows him to keep his scholarship without counting against our limits. Not exactly, but similar to the way Speidel has earned his without the team count being penalized.
Here's an article I found from 2017 that deals with the circumstances surrounding medical retirements. In this case, it's in regards to a former Oregon football played, but the crux of the rules are the same: medical retirements allow schools to keep providing financial aid to players after they've become medically unable to participate, without the penalty of counting toward scholarship restrictions. And there are considerations in place to account for Nash ever wanting to return to basketball, and that keep schools from just stashing "retired" kids who make remarkable recoveries.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I think UVM had a panic attack and Lamb went into hero mode and this will make them a better competitor against Cinncinnati (however it is spelled). With 5 minutes left and down 5, i's not time to fling up tough 3s.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,256 Posts
They lost because they were lazy and soft. They looked like they'd spent the night at the craps tables with all the energy they had. They looked like they believed Rider would just roll over and show their bellies cause they were playing mighty Vermont. They were wrong.

·
Registered
735 Posts
SF Austin beats Duke at Cameron! The best story of the year so far. And of course it brings back memories of how close we came a few years ago, only our shot was a second too late.

And it puts our current team into perspective. SF Austin and Evansville go into the #1 teams’ gyms and win. We go to #7 UVA and put up a good game and lose. Lots of mid-majors go into top 10 gyms and put up a good game and lose. We’re a good mid-major with scoring depth issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For all you "cat"fans who freaked out on the loss to Rider--let the team play out the season and see what happens ! No matter how many we lose (3 to 8) from now (11/27) to the AE tournament and win,we will have achieved our goal and hope no matter what seed we are, we get a "great" match-up. If we do that, we can defeat anyone and our season would be "super"if we win at least one game

·
U of AZ 72
25 Posts
What a great time to be a UVM basketball fan. Lot's of intrigue. Two late transfers from big name schools after much anxious waiting, the red shirting of Powell , and now a mid season transfer from GW. It's like a soap opera but interesting.Thanks for the link to GWhoops board Bosiy. It was really interesting to see the hornets nest Mazzulla's transfer stirred up there.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,510 Posts
For all you "cat"fans who freaked out on the loss to Rider--let the team play out the season and see what happens ! No matter how many we lose (3 to 8) from now (11/27) to the AE tournament and win,we will have achieved our goal and hope no matter what seed we are, we get a "great" match-up. If we do that, we can defeat anyone and our season would be "super"if we win at least one game
I think we are done freaking out for now as our expectations have come back down to Earth. That being said, we should be favored in the rest of our Non-Conference games (except Cincy). Especially with Shungu back. It's an exciting time to be a Catamount fan for sure!

·
Registered
185 Posts
From ESPN ranking of the transfers:
16. Justin Mazzulla, 6-3, 195 pounds, PG, Jr., George Washington
Committed to Vermont
Mazzulla played a key role on last season's GW team under Maurice Joseph but saw his minutes and production take a big hit this season. Mazzulla averaged 8.9 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 2018-19.

Listed as number 16. Good news for Cats when he becomes eligible. If they activate mid-season next year,
he would probably get 3-4 non-conference games plus the conference schedule and then 1 full year after.

Good transfer for us.

There were 2-3 big men listed, not sure if any are on our radar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yale can be very scary !! Two of the three games I watched them play.they looked real good and very well coached. This could deflate the team if we drop this game which I feel we can win with an all out effort. Also would be a big morale booster going into the Cincinnati game.

·
Registered
425 Posts
What's the latest on Giddens? Sounds like the muscle injury is pretty bad and he won't be available through at least Towson.

After last night's game I do hope fans now recognize both what Giddens adds as well as understand that Davis is not some pariah. He has soft hands and decent footwork but his help-side defense (and help-side offense in the low- and mid-post) is atrocious. Something that's not too difficult to improve on, but time is running out as it's already December and the program's suffered two bad losses. Losing by double-digits (and trailing the whole game) in a dead-empty Ivy League gym qualifies as a "bad loss."

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
What's the latest on Giddens? Sounds like the muscle injury is pretty bad and he won't be available through at least Towson.

After last night's game I do hope fans now recognize both what Giddens adds as well as understand that Davis is not some pariah. He has soft hands and decent footwork but his help-side defense (and help-side offense in the low- and mid-post) is atrocious. Something that's not too difficult to improve on, but time is running out as it's already December and the program's suffered two bad losses. Losing by double-digits (and trailing the whole game) in a dead-empty Ivy League gym qualifies as a "bad loss."
I don't think that word means what you think it means? Davis is an outcast? Huh? Pretty sure people know he's not out there for his defense at the moment. We're all aware that Giddens is taller Dingba who we'd much prefer be on the floor to guard post players over Davis and hope it's not a long term injury.

I think many of the on court issues can be corrected with everyone healthy and some people knowing their roles and sticking to them/cutting out hero ball, whatever. There's no reason this team can grind its way to wins the rest of the way at a high percentage. What would concern me more is this becomes a repeat of the 2013-14 season, and I'm not talking about the games either. I think there's already a few red flags if people read the tea leaves.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Probably the last thing Team Lamb needs to see, but he's 47th in the latest ESPN mock draft. Would really hope he focuses on helping bring the team together to get wins, since that's what he says is his ultimate goal (I believe him I think...Aunt and Mom after that since deleted tweet, I don't know)

741 - 760 of 774 Posts