Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

881 - 900 of 1187 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
I don't always get the shungu love... Great role player but I don't know... I'll defer to you guys but part of me thinks you guys constantly overrate him. I've watched play plenty and while I consistently think OK... Decent. I'm not wr really blown away. Maybe I need to watch him more. I don't see all your games.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Would recommend watching NCAA Tournament Florida State game last season.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Wonder what the explanation will be. It was never clear to me why he red shirted in the first place. I happy about the depth, but it’s too bad he lost out of 16 games.
Never made sense in the first place. Now, based on the posts, he may have a serious ankle sprain. Swell. The decisions on Powell, DeMuth and Beckett are puzzling. The coaches see these guys every day in practice, but the consensus that the wrong guy was redshirted seems to be right.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So if powell is hurt can he go back to having a redshirt season?
I'm not sure about that. If you take an injury redshirt, I believe the rule is that you can only have played in a maximum of two games, in the first half of the season. The regular season is 31 games and you're guaranteed at least one conference tournament game, so that would suggest to me that the first 16 games constitute the first half of the season. This was the 17th game of the season. If the Cats make it to the tournament final and if those games count, then this would be game # 17 out of 34. If not, then I'd hope that you should certainly be able to appeal something like this.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Becker re: Powell: He did exactly what we needed him to do
Dammit, Becker. I've been using this exact phrase to talk about Giddens. Coaching staff is definitely trolling this board.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't always get the shungu love... Great role player but I don't know... I'll defer to you guys but part of me thinks you guys constantly overrate him. I've watched play plenty and while I consistently think OK... Decent. I'm not wr really blown away. Maybe I need to watch him more. I don't see all your games.

it is not about the scoring for Shungu. it is the other intangibles. Playing the point - better at running the offense than Stef or Deloney (yes he is a freshmen, so will cut him some slack). Plays defense against the other teams best guard and does a great job, Gets rebounds. Makes the team better when he is on the floor. Only complaint is he cab get carried away trying to be the man sometimes.
Nop doubt though the team is better when he is healthy.

·
U of AZ 72
56 Posts
It's the weakest team because we haven't gotten the impact from the last two freshmen classes that we've previously gotten. Next years freshman class needs to be better if UVM is going to maintain the level they've been playing at the previous decade.
I posted a while ago that we have been missing on our big man recruits lately. I think we have been doing OK with guards. I have seen some earlier posts about big men taking longer to develop. Maybe they are harder to judge but aside from possibly Davis and Powell who have also experiences some issues we haven't had much success lately. Giddens has had his moments but not what a lot of us were hoping for .

·
Registered
23 Posts
If powell is going to be out for a period of time put him back on redshirt---Keep screwing around and the coaches will have caused the kid "a lost season" He could say "they are not messing me up any longer, and transfer !!!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Remember earlier in the season when Davis was awesome? Was that before his lady friend decided to transfer? She's going to Quinnipiac which is pretty close but still...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I posted a while ago that we have been missing on our big man recruits lately. I think we have been doing OK with guards. I have seen some earlier posts about big men taking longer to develop. Maybe they are harder to judge but aside from possibly Davis and Powell who have also experiences some issues we haven't had much success lately. Giddens has had his moments but not what a lot of us were hoping for .
What does anyone know about Georges Lefebvre's senior season in NC? I've seen a few highlights on Youtube which look fine, but it's hard to assess the play of high school big men because they're typically going up against opponents half a foot shorter. I hate to put too much pressure on a a new frosh, but the difference between having a 6-9 guy who can contribute right away and a 6-9 guy who's another Ra Kpedi might be the difference between a successful season in 2020-21 or a regression to the upper-middle of the AE pack.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
Remember earlier in the season when Davis was awesome? Was that before his lady friend decided to transfer? She's going to Quinnipiac which is pretty close but still...
Ewww…..Bad Cooper. Stay out of the kids personal lives. Lines people.

Reactions: LongTall

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Caverly upgraded program wise. Quinnipiac having a rough go of it this year but 2 years removed for a Sweet 16 run.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Relatively good news on Powell via Abrami on twitter:
Injury update on @UVMmbb's Isaiah Powell: The sophomore sprained his ankle at UMBC and is day-to-day, per coach John Becker.

Powell did not practice Monday and it's a good bet he's out for the Binghamton road game on Wednesday, but it appears UVM/Powell avoided lengthy absence.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was going over the argument about Lamb and supporting casts, and really the 2017 as better at every position other than Lamb (Henson>Giddens, TBH>Shungu, Ernie>Smith, Steidl>EvDunc, Ward>Deloney, Payen>Davis, DrewU>DeMuth). The only "push" might be Dre Wills and and Robin D

As for last year, we lost Ernie, Dingba v Giddens is a push and no one has emerged as "so much better than last year"...I was hoping Shungu would be injuries have slowed him. Smith is somewhat better but not decidedly so

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
Giddens is definitely an upgrade over Dingba. Unfortunately, Giddens is getting acclimated to AE refs #AErefs which is resulting in foul trouble in pretty much every conference game thus far, but he’s definitely a plus player and will be even more so when he figures out the AE officiating.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
Stef has also been better than he was last season, as well. Thought that has been pretty apparent but maybe not?

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Giddens is definitely an upgrade over Dingba. Unfortunately, Giddens is getting acclimated to AE refs #AErefs which is resulting in foul trouble in pretty much every conference game thus far, but he’s definitely a plus player and will be even more so when he figures out the AE officiating.
He's been acclimating to refs at every stop. If you recall the knock on him at every stop has been a foul machine..

881 - 900 of 1187 Posts