Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1001 - 1020 of 1154 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm pretty sure most UVM fans know the deal but yes to everything GCG said and I'll just add these NET numbers among probably 1 bid league teams in order it mostly reflects current first place teams, but a few cases there's ties and what not but you get the idea:

Northern Iowa (MVC) - 39
East Tennessee State (SoCon) - 48
Yale (Ivy) - 53
Liberty (ASun) - 64
Louisiana Tech (CUSA) - 83
Akron (MAC) - 84
Vermont (AE) - 86
Stephen F. Austin (Southland) - 91
Northern Colorado (Big Sky) - 107
UC Irvine (Big West) - 112
New Mexico State (WAC) - 114
Winthrop (Big South) - 115
Colgate (Patriot) - 116
Belmont (OVC) - 117
Georgia State (Sun Belt) - 118
Wright State (Horizon) - 120
Charleston (CAA) - 121
South Dakota State (Summit) - 127
Siena (MAAC) - 187
Sacred Heart (NEC) - 194
Prairie View A&M (SWAC) - 199
Norfolk State (MEAC) - 251

There will be a lot of variables...the SoCon has teams like UNCG and Furman ahead of UVM in NET, but I don't think anyone is arguing that the SoCon winner is deserving of a higher seed thanks to overall conference strength. Plus of all these teams we know generally at least 4-6 of them won't make the NCAAs and have teams with worse NET scores take the bid.

If UVM can keep itself from any major slip ups the rest of the way and do the job they always needed to do from day 1 which was to win the conference tournament for the auto bid, they'll be FINE.

·
Registered
500 Posts
"Fine" is all relative. I was hoping UVM would finally be able to break the 12-seed barrier (which is really tough for mid-majors) and gain some respect and recognition at the national level. That would've meant beating Cincy and 2-3 losses max at this point in the season (meaning UVA and a buffer of one or two slip ups).

The talent and ability has been there, but execution coupled with injury problems have obviously put that out of reach. I'm now hoping for a 12-seed knowing farewell that means championship upsets in the "higher" one-bid leagues (SoCon, Ivy, etc) but I'm expecting a 13-see (again...sigh). Yes, there's always risk UVM doesn't make it through the conference tourney for an autobid. Well, winning the AE is an expectation of mine and I would be tremendously disappointed if UVM doesn't pull that off. I'd feel terrible for Anthony and would feel bad for Giddens too who transferred here with the primary goal of winning a championship.

While we're on the topic good god I hope VCU doesn't get an at-large. They've done NOTHING to deserve that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It matters only on a Butterfly Effect level that everything matters and that the entire world is interconnected; that every drop of water in a 10-gallon bucket matters, because without any drops, there would be no water.

But it doesn't really matter.

Ultimately the NET rating is what's going to determine every seed beyond the at-larges (so like the back half of the 12s, through the 16s). While offensive and defensive efficiency is one element of the ratings, a 4-minute window in a season of almost 1400 minutes is such a non-factor. The NET also factors margin of victory to sum degree, but it is capped at (I believe) 10 points.

It matters that all of our guys play hard and play well as much as possible. Beyond that, it's a single brush stroke on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The artist knows it's there, but it's next to impossible to see from 50 feet away.
I'm not saying the last 4:30 alone will have an effect on seeding (though it always could be that close). The trend though could have an impact. Or you can look at it as UVM's in a hole right now when it comes to seeding, and consistent 30-40 point blowouts (compared to 15-20 point wins) will help get them out of that hole.

After a non-conference schedule riddled with gaffes coupled with the home loss to Stony Brook and it becomes clear that UVM doesn't have the luxury of letting teams go on 13-0 runs late in the game. The fact is letting teams claw back does affect defensive efficiency ratings, and those ratings will have an impact on seeding. What's the tipping point? Who knows.

·
Registered
773 Posts
"Fine" is all relative. I was hoping UVM would finally be able to break the 12-seed barrier (which is really tough for mid-majors) and gain some respect and recognition at the national level. That would've meant beating Cincy and 2-3 losses max at this point in the season (meaning UVA and a buffer of one or two slip ups).

The talent and ability has been there, but execution coupled with injury problems have obviously put that out of reach. I'm now hoping for a 12-seed knowing farewell that means championship upsets in the "higher" one-bid leagues (SoCon, Ivy, etc) but I'm expecting a 13-see (again...sigh). Yes, there's always risk UVM doesn't make it through the conference tourney for an autobid. Well, winning the AE is an expectation of mine and I would be tremendously disappointed if UVM doesn't pull that off. I'd feel terrible for Anthony and would feel bad for Giddens too who transferred here with the primary goal of winning a championship.

While we're on the topic good god I hope VCU doesn't get an at-large. They've done NOTHING to deserve that.
I think you’re right on UVM at 13.

The math is pretty simple. There are 22 mid/low major conferences. There are 22 12-16 seeds in the tourney (with six 16 seeds). The Power 6, A10, AAC, Gonzaga and SD St. will get all the 1-11 seeds. UVM and most low majors will very rarely get better than a 12 seed.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think you’re right on UVM at 13.

The math is pretty simple. There are 22 mid/low major conferences. There are 22 12-16 seeds in the tourney (with six 16 seeds). The Power 6, A10, AAC, Gonzaga and SD St. will get all the 1-11 seeds. UVM and most low majors will very rarely get better than a 12 seed.
Yeah. The Bracket Matrix (the composite of like 90 "bracketologist" projections) currently has UVM entrenched as the AE's rep as the 3rd 13 seed. Agree with others that a 12 seed would be the lowest they'd end up if some of the teams ahead of them in the rankings were to fall.

But first things first, gotta win those 3 days in March!

·
Premium Member
33,099 Posts
If we had taken care of Rider after the first 20min, beaten UNCG which could have easily broken our way (18-6), and Yale we’d be sitting real pretty right now, even with 1-2 conference losses.

Yale kicked our butts but that win would have been more important than beating them in any of the other years given they are a KenPom 47 at the moment. Next best team we’ve played after Virginia.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It matters only on a Butterfly Effect level that everything matters and that the entire world is interconnected; that every drop of water in a 10-gallon bucket matters, because without any drops, there would be no water.

But it doesn't really matter.

Ultimately the NET rating is what's going to determine every seed beyond the at-larges (so like the back half of the 12s, through the 16s). While offensive and defensive efficiency is one element of the ratings, a 4-minute window in a season of almost 1400 minutes is such a non-factor. The NET also factors margin of victory to sum degree, but it is capped at (I believe) 10 points.

It matters that all of our guys play hard and play well as much as possible. Beyond that, it's a single brush stroke on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The artist knows it's there, but it's next to impossible to see from 50 feet away.
Whoa! A hoops post referencing the Butterfly Effect, an existential treatise on water droplets, and Sistine Chapel brush strokes! Nicely done - I'm guessing Philosophy major, huh?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Random thoughts from the Maine game . It was good to see Everett regain his form. Happy for him. The extra minutes should also help Powell and Deloney's confidence. It was good to see Beckett get some minutes. It's noticeable how quickly Patella impacts the game when he enters. What a bonus off the bench.It's been a long patient wait for him . Hope he can keep it up. Fun to watch. The energy from the bench was fun to watch from Fiorillo, Demuth and I think it was Mazzulla. This is a good sign and not unimportant.After the scare in the 1st Maine game this is how we should be playing Maine. That's better!
I'd like to see Bailey start next year though I must admit, the shot of adrenaline when he checks into the game is a tangible asset.

·
Premium Member
33,099 Posts
What is Hartford’s injury situation? Even at full strength they do not have very much depth, if any. We are a tough match-up for them in that regard.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This week, Joe Lunardi has the Cats matched up in the first round against LSU. Their tallest player is 6-9 and they lost to East Tenn. State and VCU in their pre-conference games. I’d take that matchup.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,642 Posts
Stef Smith is 92 pts away from 1000 for his career. That puts him on pace to break it either the last game of the regular season against Albany or the AE quarterfinal game.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not trying to be a curmudgeon but I was expecting/hoping that Stef would have a much bigger impact than he's had thus far.

Obviously his stats are up because Ernie's gone so he's getting a lot more opportunities, but still the ceiling for that kid is so frickin high and I don't think he's anywhere close to reaching it yet.

Remember when he absolutely went off against Bing in the semifinals last year? I also remember the general consensus from Becker (which I 100% agreed with) was, to paraphrase, "We always knew he had this in him." He's so dynamic with such a nice quick release. If he could be even 50% as consistent as Ernie he would make as much of an impact on this team as Lamb. He's still not there yet in my opinion but I'm sure he'll get clicking by March.

·
Premium Member
33,099 Posts
It's always interesting the various viewpoints. I think Stef has been great thus far with no qualifiers. This is undoubtedly his best season at UVM. He's having career-best shooting 45% from the floor and 44% from 3- which is far and away the best in the conference at this moment, above Healy in 2nd at 37%. He's also 4th in AE in A/TO when turnovers were a previous issue as an underclassmen.

It's hard for him to put up big scoring numbers consistently playing next to someone like Lamb obviously, but wait until next year for that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here's a question for those of you who have been following Vermont basketball for longer than I have. As Lamb's college career approaches its close, where will he rank all-time on the list of Catamount greats? Coppenrath had huge numbers to be sure, but does Anthony get special consideration for versatility? He's only sixth all-time in scoring, but of course he lost half a season to a fractured foot.

·
Premium Member
33,099 Posts
Lamb would easily have well over 2000+pts if not for missing half of sophomore year. Even still, he may end up getting to 2000 pts.

Best UVM players all-time for me are Coppenrath, Sorrentine, Lamb, Roberson, Benton, Blakely in no particular order. Coppenrath was the best because he was so dominant and really planted the flag first for UVM basketball. FWIW, I've been following closely since 89-90.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Lamb would easily have well over 2000+pts if not for missing half of sophomore year. Even still, he may end up getting to 2000 pts.

Best UVM players all-time for me are Coppenrath, Sorrentine, Lamb, Roberson, Benton, Blakely in no particular order. Coppenrath was the best because he was so dominant and really planted the flag first for UVM basketball. FWIW, I've been following closely since 89-90.
I agree with your list but I would nominate Kevin Roberson as the one who made UVM basketball "relevant" and brought excitement to Patrick Gym with his shot-blocking ability.

1001 - 1020 of 1154 Posts