Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1021 - 1040 of 1137 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Here's a question for those of you who have been following Vermont basketball for longer than I have. As Lamb's college career approaches its close, where will he rank all-time on the list of Catamount greats? Coppenrath had huge numbers to be sure, but does Anthony get special consideration for versatility? He's only sixth all-time in scoring, but of course he lost half a season to a fractured foot.
It's an interesting discussion. Taylor is certainly an all time great but it's also worth discussing the teams that both Taylor and Anthony played on. The Taylor/TJ team was great but almost all of the offense came from those two guys. Mopa Gila had a career game against Syracuse and gave the program it's biggest win in school history, but on pretty much all the other nights, the team relied on #11 and #22 for pretty much all of the scoring.

The way that Anthony's team is structured, they are supposed to have a more balanced attack. Yes, Anthony is the primary offensive option pretty much all the time, but as we have seen recently, the team can and will be successful if multiple other players are scoring. There are many games when there are 3-4 players in double figures. If Anthony took as many shots as Taylor did, yeah, his stats would be much fatter than they are, but it's not a foregone conclusion that the team would be as successful.

In my book, they are both great players in their own right. I don't feel the need to rank them.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
In some years Smith's play this season would be good enough for 1st team all-conference. While I don't think he'd make it this year just based on how I think the coaches will vote on a guy like Lutete or whatever, I think you could make an argument Smith has every right to be. Also, it wasn't long ago when UVM's leading scorer was scoring LESS than what Smith does this year. He's the most consistent player the team has had all year. Saying you'd hope he'd have a bigger impact is just baffling, but I expect nothing less.

As for Lamb, he's an all-time great. He's got like 68 points to tie Blakely on the scoring list and if he were to get to 2,000 he'd need to average 22 a game and UVM would have to reach the finals. I'm not concerning myself with that because I don't believe in thinking that's a given. I will say that, and this is not a knock on Marqus, I find that so many UVM fans still talk about Blakely as if he were the single greatest player in the program...and trust me he's a great but, so much of it is Vermonters watching a guy dunk a basketball. It was fun, I loved it too...but Lamb to me is just a better all-around basketball player than Blakely but you'd be surprised how much Blakely is brought up from the casual/hit you up for tickets during AE finals week types when talking about how good Lamb is. It's their opinion but it fascinates me because I'm just like you people are really missing out here.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I've said this before, but I think Blakely's SR year is on a short-list of greatest individual seasons in Catamount history. But based on the entirety of a career, he's not on Lamb's level.

This is all somewhat subjective, but I think there are tiers:

TIER 1: Coppenrath and Sorrentine
TIER 2: Benton and Roberson
TIER 3: Blakely
TIER 4: Other players, to be discussed between May and August when we have nothing else to do

I think the only thing that keeps me from putting Lamb in Tier 1 is over-compensating for recency bias, and not wanting to immediately shoot him to the top before he's finished. But when you look at the sum of his numbers, and his career accomplishments, even without accounting for a missed half-season, he's a Tier 1 guy.

·
Premium Member
33,085 Posts
Roberson put UVM on the map in the sense he was the first true “star” player in modern era and lifted UVM out of mediocrity but in terms of putting UVM on a national stage, that wasn’t until Taylor/TJ.

I mean, up until Coppenrath came along I don’t think anyone thought UVM would ever make an NCAA Tournament, let alone win a game.

·
Registered
154 Posts
In some years Smith's play this season would be good enough for 1st team all-conference. While I don't think he'd make it this year just based on how I think the coaches will vote on a guy like Lutete or whatever, I think you could make an argument Smith has every right to be. Also, it wasn't long ago when UVM's leading scorer was scoring LESS than what Smith does this year. He's the most consistent player the team has had all year. Saying you'd hope he'd have a bigger impact is just baffling, but I expect nothing less.

As for Lamb, he's an all-time great. He's got like 68 points to tie Blakely on the scoring list and if he were to get to 2,000 he'd need to average 22 a game and UVM would have to reach the finals. I'm not concerning myself with that because I don't believe in thinking that's a given. I will say that, and this is not a knock on Marqus, I find that so many UVM fans still talk about Blakely as if he were the single greatest player in the program...and trust me he's a great but, so much of it is Vermonters watching a guy dunk a basketball. It was fun, I loved it too...but Lamb to me is just a better all-around basketball player than Blakely but you'd be surprised how much Blakely is brought up from the casual/hit you up for tickets during AE finals week types when talking about how good Lamb is. It's their opinion but it fascinates me because I'm just like you people are really missing out here.
I just watched a Youtube video entitled "Marqus Blakely Dunk Highlights." Good heavens. Good heavens. And they just keep going on, and on, and on . . .

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I just watched a Youtube video entitled "Marqus Blakely Dunk Highlights." Good heavens. Good heavens. And they just keep going on, and on, and on . . .
Yes, he was an amazing athlete and ridiculous dunker. Certainly fun to watch, but I'm not sure he took more than a handful of jumpshots in his whole career (slight exaggeration)...and for good reason. Definitely one of the best pure athletes that UVM has seen, but not even close to one of the most well-rounded players in school history.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I believe Speidel is graduating in May, and assume he will get on with his post-college life after.

I wonder if there needs to be some special NCAA arrangement for him to play. It is my understanding that he is still on scholarship but does not count against the 15 max limit. Will playing violate this? It seems not (it should not) but the NCAA has more stupid and ridiculous rules than one can imagine...

I am sure Becker and Brown can figure out a way to get him on the court and maybe score a basket on Sr night vs Albany if the NCAA allows it

·
Registered
498 Posts
Off the latest topic a bit.. but curious if anyone has any intel on Josh Speidel? Is there a chance he plays any next year?
There's absolutely no chance. He had a traumatic brain injury. The fact he's able to walk--let alone taking classes--is an absolute miracle. Appreciate how far he has come.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Lamb would easily have well over 2000+pts if not for missing half of sophomore year. Even still, he may end up getting to 2000 pts.

Best UVM players all-time for me are Coppenrath, Sorrentine, Lamb, Roberson, Benton, Blakely in no particular order. Coppenrath was the best because he was so dominant and really planted the flag first for UVM basketball. FWIW, I've been following closely since 89-90.
I agree, and it’s pretty clear these are the six best, and then a gap to the next tier.

Since others are ranking - here’s mine -

Coppenrath
Roberson
Blakely
Lamb
Benton
Sorrentine

3-5 all close, can argue for any of them. But Coppenrath and Roberson are clearly the two best IMO - program changers.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
There's absolutely no chance. He had a traumatic brain injury. The fact he's able to walk--let alone taking classes--is an absolute miracle. Appreciate how far he has come.
I'm pretty sure the question was more in reference to how ProfessorDavid saw things playing out (at least that's how I envisioned things when thinking about that very topic recently)...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm pretty sure the question was more in reference to how ProfessorDavid saw things playing out (at least that's how I envisioned things when thinking about that very topic recently)...
From what I have seen, Josh would risk severe injury playing a competitive game. I imagine they'll honor him on Sr Night and hope he can get on the court.

BTW, he is a truly first class young man, who will always be a great ambassador to UVM

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here's a question for those of you who have been following Vermont basketball for longer than I have. As Lamb's college career approaches its close, where will he rank all-time on the list of Catamount greats? Coppenrath had huge numbers to be sure, but does Anthony get special consideration for versatility? He's only sixth all-time in scoring, but of course he lost half a season to a fractured foot.
Tough to rate over time. However, Coppenrath was an undeniable force, every single game. Other than Sorrentine, there wasn't much talent around him.
Lamb will be remembered as one of the best, but probably not on the same level with Taylor Coppenrath.
Kevin Roberson would be my #2. His five career triple doubles included at least 10 blocked shots. An inspirational player.

·
Premium Member
33,085 Posts
Klimes, Mopa Njila and Hehn were pretty perfect role players for TC/TJ. Not a ton of depth after those 5 players, but the attack under Brennan also was never meant to be balanced.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The team also went 5-2 in the 7 games that Coppenrath missed down the stretch in '04. Of course everyone remembers Taylor's return against Maine in the championship game.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have been reading the post on the all-time Vermont teams. A player I saw when I first started following UVM wayback,
whom I believe should get some consideration is Warren Prehmus. Talk about a player with little support. If the three was allowed in his day. He would be way up on the UVM list. Another player who should be considered for the All-Time team, top whatever people are going to is Matt Sheftic. The injuries he played with and giving up the 6th year to fulfill his military committment makes him an all- 🏀 (y)time Catamount in my book.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know that I can add to this conversation, but I was looking at what is likely for Lamb for career scoring by the end of the season, it seems that catching Trimboli would require him to increase his current per game scoring average. What I also noticed is that if he continues his average between now and the end of the year, assuming Conference Tournament win and 1 NCAA tournament game, Stef Smith will surpass 1,000 points this year and if he matches this years numbers as a senior, he'll be in line for a spot in the top 10 in career points.

1021 - 1040 of 1137 Posts