Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1074 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Could Becker activate Hannah for tonight's game? She's 6-3, you know:

DURHAM, N.H. - Senior Hanna Crymble's game-breaking layup with 2.8 seconds to play lifted the University of Vermont women's basketball team to a shocking, 44-42 comeback victory over New Hampshire in America East Conference action Wednesday. Crymble finished with 16 points, six rebounds and two assists while Josie Larkins added a dozen points to pace UVM's attack.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Actually, that raises an interesting question. College athletes have four years of eligibility in a given sport and five years to get them in. They can exhaust their four years in their primary sport, then come back for a fifth year in another sport. Somewhere in America, there's a women's college basketball player who could hold her own on the school's men's team. (I'd wager that Elena Della Donne, who's 6-5, could have played on the Delaware men's team when she was in college.) Could a woman play four years of women's basketball in the NCAA and then return for a fifth year in men's basketball? I'd assume that they're two different sports.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Actually, that raises an interesting question. College athletes have four years of eligibility in a given sport and five years to get them in. They can exhaust their four years in their primary sport, then come back for a fifth year in another sport. Somewhere in America, there's a women's college basketball player who could hold her own on the school's men's team. (I'd wager that Elena Della Donne, who's 6-5, could have played on the Delaware men's team when she was in college.) Could a woman play four years of women's basketball in the NCAA and then return for a fifth year in men's basketball? I'd assume that they're two different sports.
Greg Paulus played basketball for 4 years at Duke then transferred to Syracuse to play football around 2009...I believe that there are more recent examples of this as well...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey, that's my 100th post. Woot! Look out, Hoop Cat, I'm gaining on you!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Vermont's listed by ESPN.com as one of 5 potential first-round giant-killers (the others are Liberty, Furman, Akron and Northern Colorado):

"Is it really a Giant Killers story if we don't include Vermont? The Catamounts are regulars here, and this season is no different. They're exceptionally likely to reach the tournament given how much better they are than the rest of the America East again.

BPI likes the Catamounts' strong defense, though our Giant Killers model is a little less bullish on them because their 3-point attempts and efficiency are both lacking. But that defense, which has held opponents to 42% shooting from 2-point range, per KenPom, is scary enough that Vermont will be a tricky foe for a potential No. 5 or No. 6 seed come March."

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can we all just not speculate on what seed they will get until the last AE game has been played. Sorry a bit superstitious especially since we did our fair share of this in 2018
Agreed. All this speculation about a team that is not close to closing out the AE and tournament as we CAT fans hope is just silly. And projecting a seed in the NCAA tournament is even sillier. Let's just focus on the frigging games with fingers crossed. That is entertainment enough for me.

·
Premium Member
32,928 Posts
Yeah, I mean let national sports writers talk about UVM that’s all fine by me. But this team has only completed Step 1 (win 20 games) of its 4 step goal program. Next up is battling to clinch #1 seed, which is far from a sure thing right now. Plenty of games left.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have something I’ve wanted to say for a while and today with some overkill really triggered it. I absolutely hate, hate, hate UVM, and by extension the America East’s co-opting of Barstool Sports into its social media. If you don’t know the men’s basketball radio play-by-play Jake Marsh is some Barstool intern for the Pardon My Take podcast. I’m not entirely sure he’s aware they’re using him as the butt of jokes and making him out to be a pathetic Darren Rovell figure as “PMT Sports Biz” or whatever, but that’s beside the point. I’m bothered that UVM is so willing gleefully accept “exposure” (for lack of a better wod) from a disgusting publication that has routinely promoted racism, homophobia, transphobia, misogyny and more. It’s not in line with school values at all. It’s not in line with America East values, at all. You Can Play project anyone? And yet, here we are, both the UVM athletics social channels and AE channels gleefully tweeting content from Pardon My Take or letting Marsh write glorified grammar-mistake riddled PR puff pieces for the Barstool site while also using him to cross promote the team on the Pardon My Take podcast.

I used to be one of those people who thought you could separate Pardon My Take from Barstool. The reality is you can’t. The hosts of Pardon My Take willfully take money from a man who harrasses people, mostly women, online and gets his supporters to do the same to anyone who dare question him. The founder of this company told a female employee that her looks would deteriorate in five years forcing her to tears. Film an employee in the shower without their consent and gaslighted them into thinking being upset was crazy, said Harvy Wienstein had every right to ask for sex in exchange for movie roles, while Dan “Big Cat” Katz (a Pardon My Take co-host) defended jokes about down syndrome, or another writer for the site who sexualized an underage then 17-year old Olympian Chloe Kim in 2018...I could go on and on, but it’s all here and anyone unaware should read this to get an idea of the company that UVM more or less encouraging to give them free publicity:

Inside Barstool Sports’ Culture of Online Hate: ‘They Treat Sexual Harassment and Cyberbullying as a Game’

Not to mention the founder of the site came out and said he’d fire anyone who wanted to start a union, then had someone create a fake Barstool union account to figure out who was interested so he could fire them, and had to settle with the National Labor Relations Board (completely illegal, regardless of what you might think of unions this is petty and pathetic):

Barstool Settles with NLRB

Even posting this, I’m putting myself at risk someone here is a Stoolie and will try to doxx me and harass me and my family. I honestly don’t care if people here like Barstool or want to defend it. That’s your prerogative. What I think is gross and inappropriate is that the school, from the Athletic Director himself (who follows many Barstool accounts on twitter) condones, and seemingly outright encourages this unofficial co-opting of the school and a publication that promotes everything I’ve stated above, and then goes out of its way to do PSAs saying the exact opposite. It'd be one thing if there was no connection and Barstool published UVM basketball-related stuff on its own, but there's a clear connection here and someone employed by the school, or at least through a contracted party to do radio broadcasts, and has a workspace inside the confines of the gym, is doing stuff like this, and it's seemingly encouraged by adminstrators in the athletic department. This ain’t some PC Police coming to town either. It’s just stupid, shameful and hypocritical behavior from the school and I absolutely wish it would stop because it’s not representative of the school I support and attended as an alum, and I would hope for others here, they feel the same way. Even if you don’t, hopefully you can understand where people like me are coming from and know that at a minimum this sort of stuff is like I said, highly hypocritical on UVM’s part.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I have something I’ve wanted to say for a while and today with some overkill really triggered it. I absolutely hate, hate, hate UVM, and by extension the America East’s co-opting of Barstool Sports into its social media. If you don’t know the men’s basketball radio play-by-play Jake Marsh is some Barstool intern for the Pardon My Take podcast. I’m not entirely sure he’s aware they’re using him as the butt of jokes and making him out to be a pathetic Darren Rovell figure as “PMT Sports Biz” or whatever, but that’s beside the point. I’m bothered that UVM is so willing gleefully accept “exposure” (for lack of a better wod) from a disgusting publication that has routinely promoted racism, homophobia, transphobia, misogyny and more. It’s not in line with school values at all. It’s not in line with America East values, at all. You Can Play project anyone? And yet, here we are, both the UVM athletics social channels and AE channels gleefully tweeting content from Pardon My Take or letting Marsh write glorified grammar-mistake riddled PR puff pieces for the Barstool site while also using him to cross promote the team on the Pardon My Take podcast...
Great post, Catpower. I had certainly thought it was a little weird when I read about it earlier this season. I initially shrugged it off when I thought of it as merely a side hustle for Marsh (I figure PBP work probably doesn't keep the lights on in Burlington by itself) but you did a terrific job articulating why I've been so uneasy when reading that official UVM or AE accounts retweet PMT content.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Oh, and in slightly more positive / tangentially UVM related social media, The Mid-Majority is back as a few times a week newsletter, and even sleep deprived yesterday morning, I knew exactly who this opening paragraph was about as soon as I read it:

They called him Mr. Everything. Explosively energetic with a mohawk hairdo that would alternate colors—gold, red, black or green—he absorbed the entirety of the arena’s attention every time he was on the court. He earned this nickname because of his ability to effortlessly collect every single type of statistic available: points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals... and because of his slightly ostentatious no-f*&)s-given attitude, fouls as well.
The World Container - an interesting read if you've got 5 minutes.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,511 Posts
I have something I’ve wanted to say for a while and today with some overkill really triggered it. I absolutely hate, hate, hate UVM, and by extension the America East’s co-opting of Barstool Sports into its social media. If you don’t know the men’s basketball radio play-by-play Jake Marsh is some Barstool intern for the Pardon My Take podcast. I’m not entirely sure he’s aware they’re using him as the butt of jokes and making him out to be a pathetic Darren Rovell figure as “PMT Sports Biz” or whatever, but that’s beside the point. I’m bothered that UVM is so willing gleefully accept “exposure” (for lack of a better wod) from a disgusting publication that has routinely promoted racism, homophobia, transphobia, misogyny and more. It’s not in line with school values at all. It’s not in line with America East values, at all. You Can Play project anyone? And yet, here we are, both the UVM athletics social channels and AE channels gleefully tweeting content from Pardon My Take or letting Marsh write glorified grammar-mistake riddled PR puff pieces for the Barstool site while also using him to cross promote the team on the Pardon My Take podcast.

I used to be one of those people who thought you could separate Pardon My Take from Barstool. The reality is you can’t. The hosts of Pardon My Take willfully take money from a man who harrasses people, mostly women, online and gets his supporters to do the same to anyone who dare question him. The founder of this company told a female employee that her looks would deteriorate in five years forcing her to tears. Film an employee in the shower without their consent and gaslighted them into thinking being upset was crazy, said Harvy Wienstein had every right to ask for sex in exchange for movie roles, while Dan “Big Cat” Katz (a Pardon My Take co-host) defended jokes about down syndrome, or another writer for the site who sexualized an underage then 17-year old Olympian Chloe Kim in 2018...I could go on and on, but it’s all here and anyone unaware should read this to get an idea of the company that UVM more or less encouraging to give them free publicity:

Inside Barstool Sports’ Culture of Online Hate: ‘They Treat Sexual Harassment and Cyberbullying as a Game’

Not to mention the founder of the site came out and said he’d fire anyone who wanted to start a union, then had someone create a fake Barstool union account to figure out who was interested so he could fire them, and had to settle with the National Labor Relations Board (completely illegal, regardless of what you might think of unions this is petty and pathetic):

Even posting this, I’m putting myself at risk someone here is a Stoolie and will try to doxx me and harass me and my family. I honestly don’t care if people here like Barstool or want to defend it. That’s your prerogative. What I think is gross and inappropriate is that the school, from the Athletic Director himself (who follows many Barstool accounts on twitter) condones, and seemingly outright encourages this unofficial co-opting of the school and a publication that promotes everything I’ve stated above, and then goes out of its way to do PSAs saying the exact opposite. It'd be one thing if there was no connection and Barstool published UVM basketball-related stuff on its own, but there's a clear connection here and someone employed by the school, or at least through a contracted party to do radio broadcasts, and has a workspace inside the confines of the gym, is doing stuff like this, and it's seemingly encouraged by adminstrators in the athletic department. This ain’t some PC Police coming to town either. It’s just stupid, shameful and hypocritical behavior from the school and I absolutely wish it would stop because it’s not representative of the school I support and attended as an alum, and I would hope for others here, they feel the same way. Even if you don’t, hopefully you can understand where people like me are coming from and know that at a minimum this sort of stuff is like I said, highly hypocritical on UVM’s part.
The best way to deal with this is to get on campus student organizations involved.

·
Comrade Fox
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,055

Seconded on all fronts, especially as a lesbian trans woman trying to break into media

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I think it was ProfessorDavid who posted a couple weeks ago that Josh Speidel can graduate this spring. I just noticed in an ad for Senior Night on Tuesday, March 3 vs Albany, there are photos of Anthony, Everett, Daniel, AND Joshua. I wonder if Joshua is actually graduating, or does he plan to return to the team roster as a graduate student? Anybody know?

1041 - 1060 of 1074 Posts