Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1061 - 1080 of 1151 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,098 Posts
Well done article, thank you for sharing. Really captures the UVM spirit and fan experience and relationship between players, coaches, fans, etc.

I think there's something shared about living in Vermont, for whatever period of time-I know for me certainly growing up there, attending UVM, and the people, environment etc that really teaches someone what it means to....grind. Feel like From Brennan to Lonergan to Becker each team has really embodied and represented what it means to grind. The grind never stops, for each person in their own way, and to me Vermont was/is a great place to experience and learn that.

Anthony Lamb is also a really mature, thoughtful/special player.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's a very nice article about Vermont basketball, but extending the aura of charm to Patrick Gym is going a bit too far. Any charm that attaches to Patrick is a result of the quality of the program and its people. That program and those people are winners on and off the court. They represent the university and the state in a very positive way and they deserve better than Patrick Gym.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
After over 50 years of sitting on those board I am still happy to se the games there. Other schools have small venues and hard seats but none have the memories for me. At every game I see people I don't know but who I have seen for decades in the pre-game scrum or in the men's room line. As cold as it might be outside, every game at Patrick is a warm experience.

·
Premium Member
33,098 Posts
Get the same feeling walking into Patrick Gym today as I did when I was a 9yr old kid, and it really hasn’t changed much since then. That’s somewhat priceless in a way. The author found a way to capture that feeling a little bit in the article.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think it was ProfessorDavid who posted a couple weeks ago that Josh Speidel can graduate this spring. I just noticed in an ad for Senior Night on Tuesday, March 3 vs Albany, there are photos of Anthony, Everett, Daniel, AND Joshua. I wonder if Joshua is actually graduating, or does he plan to return to the team roster as a graduate student? Anybody know?
Let’s just say that if you have tickets for this game, don't sell them, give them away, lose them,etc. And don’t arrive late.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Awesome

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was at Pauley Pavilion at UCLA in November of 2003 when Coppenrath put up 39 against UCLA. He was battling a double team by taller guys and scoring from everywhere. Radio announcers, on the way home, said he'd be the MVP of the Pac 12.
Coppenrath faced two and three defenders in the post. Other than Sorrentine, other teams were willing to bet Hehn, Klimes and Mopa-Nglia weren't going to beat them. He was a true beast.
Blakely was a human highlight reel who had crazy stat lines and was huge fun to behold.
Roberson was a defensive oriented player. And he made defense FUN to watch. At 6-7, he blocked shots that often appeared impossible. I know the guy who recruited him. Kevin was only 6-4 as a high school sr.

Lamb is the most well rounded but lacks the size and brute strength of Coppenrath and the athleticism of Roberson and Blakely.
Anthony gets the most from his natural talents in an era of bigger and better athletes.

My list would look something like.

Coppenrath*

Roberson
Sorrentine
Benton

Blakely/Lamb

*he was a stretch 5 before the term existed

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was thinking earlier how Lamb would be a good fit for a lot of NBA teams currently. Many of the beat teams (Celtics, clippers, and most notably, the Rockets) are being successful with really “small” line ups.

Take a look at the Houston Rockets, their “center”, PJ Tucker, is a 6’5’ guy who played in Europe for a long time, who takes most of his shots from 3.

If Lamb gets put in a system like that, I think he can be very successful at the next (overseas, G league, NBA) level.

·
Premium Member
33,098 Posts
The last future NBA player from this conference was Speedy Claxton. Lamb will go to Portsmouth then Summer League then Training Camp and have the same shot as Barea, Coppenrath, Sorrentine, Blakely, Holland, and Warney. Whether he sticks like Barea or ends up in Europe/Asia like the rest is up to him.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Under "Stats", KenPom has a sub-section "Miscellaneous Team Stats". One of the defense stats is opponent 2pt shooting percentage. Imagine my surprise when I clicked on that column header. UVM is #3 with 42.1%. UC Irvine is #1, Memphis is #2. Kansas, Virginia, Washington, Ohio St, Butler, Rutgers and Michigan St. round out the top 10.

I guess there is a reason other teams shoot so many 3s against UVM.

1061 - 1080 of 1151 Posts