Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1155 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I think it's time to cap off this thread by turning it into a NCAA Simulation Tracker. I know Lunardi had us losing to the very same Louisville team in overtime.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have played 500+ games of 2k6 and 2k8 (mostly) and would pay $500 for a new version of this game with modern graphics and AI. What a fun game to watch. Brought back so many memories.
I played the EA March Madness (2004-5-ish?) franchise for a while. It was fun but control was bizarrely sluggish. I remember liking the recruiting element.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have played 500+ games of 2k6 and 2k8 (mostly) and would pay $500 for a new version of this game with modern graphics and AI. What a fun game to watch. Brought back so many memories.
I was so disappointed when I traded in my PS3 for a PS4 and 2K8 was no longer compatible. Hopefully they figure out the NLI stuff soon so a next gen version can get released.

·
Registered
311 Posts
super game by Giddens; 15 and 15 😀
Yeah lol! I watched the replay and UVM wouldn't have been in it without giddens getting some critical offensive (and defensive) boards.

Can't really look in hindsight, and UVM did well this season, but I think Becker could have had a bit more patience with him. Maybe figure out a way for him and davis to play together more.

·
Premium Member
33,100 Posts
So I saw Portsmouth Invitational was canceled (obviously). That in itself is another reason why Lamb should hopefully get a waiver to come back for next season.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was not aware before that AE officially named UVM the champs for 2020.

In a way, the regular season 4-peat is even more impressive than than 2 tourney titles and one "proclamation" title (or whatever 2020 is).

·
Registered
117 Posts
After reading the article about Anthony Lamb, remembering Ernie Duncan's story, and being reminded about Bell-Haynes efforts on mental health, I continue to feel strongly that comments here about players need to be made as if they are about our sons, nephews and neighbors. These are young men being judged by anonymous posters. We read about all the efforts Coach Becker and staff make to support these young men dealing with the pressure of public life and growing up. Fans need to join in that effort. We don't know which players are struggling with their mental health issues. We've heard about two after the fact. In my opinion, comments and judgements should be made about these young people knowing that mental health struggles are common and that public judgements are a complicating factor. If we have any respect at all for Coach Becker's efforts supporting players we should join him in that effort here on the board and as fans generally.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
After reading the article about Anthony Lamb, remembering Ernie Duncan's story, and being reminded about Bell-Haynes efforts on mental health, I continue to feel strongly that comments here about players need to be made as if they are about our sons, nephews and neighbors. These are young men being judged by anonymous posters. We read about all the efforts Coach Becker and staff make to support these young men dealing with the pressure of public life and growing up. Fans need to join in that effort. We don't know which players are struggling with their mental health issues. We've heard about two after the fact. In my opinion, comments and judgements should be made about these young people knowing that mental health struggles are common and that public judgements are a complicating factor. If we have any respect at all for Coach Becker's efforts supporting players we should join him in that effort here on the board and as fans generally.
Yes, young men they may be, but they're not above critique for their on court performance if it's constructive or valid. If nobody can say anything like that we might as well shut down the domain here and go home. These guys don't get many character attacks here, I don't think people are that cruel...but we can't question someone's shot selection or say they had a bad game or the team didn't perform because we need to be mindful of their self-care? That's a little too much on the woke PC spectrum, even for me a very woke-ass PCer. I'm happy that UVM has given them the support they need. I'm happy the players know they have a coach who is mindful of their mental health. Long may that continue. But this all comes across as a tad too high and mighty.

Also, why do you just assume it's about critiques here? Mental health is a spectrum...It could be anything, such as dealing with "fame" or being a public figure locally. Which leads me to say that frankly, this little corner of the internet isn't so much the problem or is a very small piece, as it is all those old timers approaching these guys after games and making comments or bothering them when they're downtown and saying stuff like "we're really hoping you bring back the title" or whatever. So maybe we should tell people to lay off being like the townfolk from Friday Night Lights and let them be college kids when they're not on the court so they don't have to feel like they're putting on a performance every time they step out of their house.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Furthermore, people can save their "go outside" takes. I went for a run this morning so thanks...but I think there's a lot to unpack with these statements and lord knows I got the time to do it.

1) Like I said criticism on here, which is mostly quite mild and generally valid. A common theme in both Ernie and Lamb articles were that they are hard on themselves first and foremost, so us potentially saying they had a bad game likely isn't going to send their world crashing down. They're keenly aware of it, and with both of them there was a drive and focus to get to where they were and the only way to do that was to be the best...something we push for in society as a measure of greatness at the detriment of self-care. Obviously we now know there needs to be a healthy balance, but in a bubble, based on what's read, it's those two had a difficult time compartmentalizing how they personally felt about their own shortcomings. What might be said on here may not help, but to say that it cannot be said because it might trigger them, I won't agree with that. Again this is why they need to have outreach systems in place, and use any therapy they might be getting to help them achieve greater mental wellness because what you're asking for is just a stoppage of something they'll never be able to control, and even if we all took steps to control it ourselves, that's not to say they don't hear it elsewhere. At a certain point to sound like a boomer "that's life."

2) Again, this is a small subsect which despite there probably being a few school admins and coaches aware of the place, the Gen Z players if you know anything about the age group spent little to no time using actual computers, and probably aren't too aware of this space. What they are aware of is their social media. And let me tell you if you see their Twitters its a bunch of fans commenting how great they are (the 1-2 UVM twitter trolls never go after the players I've noticed), or sometimes, a few local media types not really knowing the word boundaries by tagging them in stuff. Numerous times a few local news guys tagged Ernie every time they saw a movie. Like yo, it's cool he reviews and likes movies, but give the guy some space. If he wants to be online about the film, then let him do it on his own time.

3) Let's not even mention the dudes who do the whole recruiting mixtape and graphic design mock ups for them starting at 16 years old. Talk about putting so much pressure on a kid, because you know that they see guys they compete against getting those, or teammates, or whatever, and they likely feel shitty that they don't have one. It's no wonder you see these stories about kids fudging their offers or interest all because some online grifter wants to get followers. Or even these kids who feel like they have to get their parents to spend money they may or may not have so they can do "personal training" with someone who may or may not have a suspect resume, and may or may not actually care about these kids as anything more than a piece of meat that he can show he got to the next level to charge more for his own personal gain.

4) Add in if they're using Instagram or Snapchat in their stories they might say something like "tough night gotta bounce back" with a flex emoji, only to be greeted by hundreds of likes and replies or people making comments telling them how they're a star or even any positive feedback which could add on to the pressure they're already feeling. They might not want to hear that they're the best at the moment, they might feel those people aren't truly "hearing" them because they just say what they think the person wants to hear and don't care about that person.

5) Again, if you see these guys out in public, leave them alone. Let them have lives. This might not apply to anyone here, but we all know it does apply to a portion of the ~2,500 or so who on average go to home games. They don't need to put on airs about being nice to you. It's great that most of them are good people and will, but you're just probably stressing them out. Leave that to official fan functions.

TL;DR: Let's not put mental health in a vacuum and use it as a way to stand on virtue mountain because you don't like that someone calls out a bad game here and there on this forum. There's a lot more to it.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,648 Posts
Thank you Catpower, for putting into words more eloquently than I ever could, my own feelings on the subject. No one is harder on these players than they are themselves. The criticisms on this board are nothing compared to there own thoughts. You cannot treat them as if they are fragile. It tells them that you think they are weak, which only reinforces their own negative opinions of themselves. Give praise when it's deserved, likewise criticism, but above all be honest.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Would any of you like to speculate on whom or what position UVM will spend their final scholly on?
[/QUOTE]
I don't know about position, because at this point it's tough to be choosy. But my guess is that the ship has probably sailed on any 2020 freshmen. Could be wrong, as there's probably still a target or two floating around that we've been in on for a while. But we're probably not swooping in on anybody new in the 2020 class.

Also, what you don't need right now is a 11th-13th man. You either need a legit impact on the rotation (see: 1-year grad transfer, maybe who can with some size on the wing), or you need a guy you can stash and don't need to give minutes this year (see: younger sit-out transfer, someone who will fall into either Deloney or Lefebvre's class when eligible).

Either way, it's probably going to have to be someone they know from the trail, or who has a lot of tape. Considering all the factors, there's still a good chance we might just sit on this scholly until next year when things aren't as weird (hopefully).

1121 - 1140 of 1155 Posts