Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 1181 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Have said a wing/shooter who can defend multiple positions at least semi-well would be of service. I'm sure they're kicking the tires on any number of transfers out there grad, junior college or otherwise. If it doesn't work, punt it...as much as I'd like to say they can use the help and should try and find any way you can minimize the drop off you lose from Lamb's departure, even like 15-20% of it in the form of a new player, if that's not possible, don't do it for a benchwarmer who likely doesn't even stay all 4 years, as you said. It's still a very advantageous position for UVM. If everyone sticks around they still have 15 total bodies (including walk-ons) so they can get a full practice in and still probably make a passible 8-man rotation...looking at some other schools in the league...UNH, Albany and Binghamton only has 10 bodies including walk ons, and transfer portaling is still very much alive. If they lose anyone those coaches are bound to just take on whatever comes.

Should feel more for the UVM women's team. They started the year with 11 players, lost one to a mid-season transfer, and another two who didn't play are in the portal apparently. They've got at least one incoming freshman, but with that they're sitting at 9 right now. That staff better be portaling hard.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Also as a PS - Mama Gucc, a longtime UVM supporter, has passed. She sat in the same spot on the baseline on the north side of the gym, in the corner between the row of fancy seats, and Tom Brennan's section. I'm pretty sure way back when before there was the Victory Club and more organization for fundraising on the school's side she used to hold these pre-season Italian dinners where the players would do the serving and she'd cook all the food. I'm sure there's lots else she did as well, I'm just not remembering.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,141 Posts
On a more somber note, anyone see the images UVM posted of Patrick Gym currently? It’s been turned into an overflow area for UVMMC with beds. Eerie visual; scary times.

·
Premium Member
33,141 Posts
My latest concern medium-term is reports I’m seeing that virus will continue to spread and could resurface/come back in Summer/Fall.

Patrick Gym has to be the least optimal venue to watch a sporting event given there’s next to no personal space/fans literally on top of each other. Absent finding a vaccine, wonder if UVM will need to play games in an empty gym next year.

·
U of AZ 72
53 Posts
Would any of you like to speculate on whom or what position UVM will spend their final scholly on?
[/QUOTE]
The next day after I posted this we got the transfer from Northern Arizona. U I went to U of Az years ago and on break I hitchhiked to the grand canyon and on the way I stayed overnight in Flagstaff where Northern Arizona U is located . I walked around in the eve and ended up at the University and the gym was open and some guys were shooting hoops so I went in and shot some hoops.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
My latest concern medium-term is reports I’m seeing that virus will continue to spread and could resurface/come back in Summer/Fall.

Patrick Gym has to be the least optimal venue to watch a sporting event given there’s next to no personal space/fans literally on top of each other. Absent finding a vaccine, wonder if UVM will need to play games in an empty gym next year.
Until there is a vaccine available we will have recurring COVID-19 outbreaks is my understanding. Schools may not have anything but online classes until the vaccine arrives, probably summer or fall of 2021. No basketball will be just one of many pains.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The next day after I posted this we got the transfer from Northern Arizona. U I went to U of Az years ago and on break I hitchhiked to the grand canyon and on the way I stayed overnight in Flagstaff where Northern Arizona U is located . I walked around in the eve and ended up at the University and the gym was open and some guys were shooting hoops so I went in and shot some hoops.
[/QUOTE]

Flagstaff is great. NAU looks like an awesome place to go to school. Walkup Skydome is a weird place for basketball though. Andre should love the cozy confines of Patrick, even if it is filled with AARP members (which, by the way, I am eligible to join)

·
Registered
501 Posts
What was the game where Robin Duncan had that spectacular steal, slapping the ball out of the opponent's hands and into the air, then off him and out of bounds. Was that at Hartford? I wasn't sure

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
So as not to sully the 20-21 thread by interrupting the forthcoming breakdown by minutes for the 12-deep rotation people are dreaming about, I am putting this here:

1) I have not seen The Scheme yet, so I can't really say. Though, outside of the fake virtue journalists like Thamel and Pat Forde out there, from things I've read there does seem to be a question why certain guys got jail time or punished and others did not...though it's mostly down to the assistants and bag men and whatnot. Also, that Dawkins is just kind of a made for TV character? He's probably no Joe Exotic but, I guess that's a critique and questions his truthfulness...I don't know I'll have to watch for myself.

2) Lonergan must really never want to coach again. He's entitled to an opinion and free speech and all that, but it also means employers don't have to hire him based on it. It's one thing to go against the "coaching fraternity" depending on your level of prestige in the game (his is at 0 right now), enough people don't like Pitino or Sean Miller that it's not gonna blackball you. Even going after the NCAA isn't so bad, because that organization often is stupid, but he just had to go add the line about the athletic directors. Even if he said "highest level" he's still really saying "the people who could give me gainful employment in a coaching profession" are a joke. Like hey, sorry you got fired and Pat Nero was a creep, yep you were right about that, but you were hardly vindicated in that one. It's just amazing to watch a guy that while a massive asshole, was a good basketball coach who won games just see his life end up like this, and a lot of it is because he's too stubborn to move on or admit he messed up in an effort to gain back some credibility in the eyes of schools who probably would be willing to hire him.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So as not to sully the 20-21 thread by interrupting the forthcoming breakdown by minutes for the 12-deep rotation people are dreaming about, I am putting this here:

1) I have not seen The Scheme yet, so I can't really say. Though, outside of the fake virtue journalists like Thamel and Pat Forde out there, from things I've read there does seem to be a question why certain guys got jail time or punished and others did not...though it's mostly down to the assistants and bag men and whatnot. Also, that Dawkins is just kind of a made for TV character? He's probably no Joe Exotic but, I guess that's a critique and questions his truthfulness...I don't know I'll have to watch for myself.

2) Lonergan must really never want to coach again. He's entitled to an opinion and free speech and all that, but it also means employers don't have to hire him based on it. It's one thing to go against the "coaching fraternity" depending on your level of prestige in the game (his is at 0 right now), enough people don't like Pitino or Sean Miller that it's not gonna blackball you. Even going after the NCAA isn't so bad, because that organization often is stupid, but he just had to go add the line about the athletic directors. Even if he said "highest level" he's still really saying "the people who could give me gainful employment in a coaching profession" are a joke. Like hey, sorry you got fired and Pat Nero was a creep, yep you were right about that, but you were hardly vindicated in that one. It's just amazing to watch a guy that while a massive asshole, was a good basketball coach who won games just see his life end up like this, and a lot of it is because he's too stubborn to move on or admit he messed up in an effort to gain back some credibility in the eyes of schools who probably would be willing to hire him.
After 48 years as an ACC fan and three as a Vermont fan, I find mid-major ball to be such a breath of fresh air.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wrote a piece summarizing in my opinion, the top five game/moments for the Cats from this past season. Little lengthy, but also curious to hear if there were any games/moments you'd rank a head of these five. Best Game/Moments of 2019-20 Season
What late-season game was it in which at a critical moment in the second half, Everett trapped his man againt the sideline, launched the ball straight up out of his hands with an uppercut, and then outjumped him for the ball?

·
Registered
58 Posts
What late-season game was it in which at a critical moment in the second half, Everett trapped his man againt the sideline, launched the ball straight up out of his hands with an uppercut, and then outjumped him for the ball?
Think that was Robin you are thinking of.

1141 - 1160 of 1181 Posts