Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1161 - 1180 of 1186 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Had a great view of the play. Couldn't believe how open he was for the shot.
Great defense after the play by Cats, as they forced a turnover.

·
Premium Member
33,155 Posts
Keith Atchinson 1993 BFP all-state second team for North Country.

Just awful.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
More people coming forward saying they exhibited symptoms after attending the game:

There's a survey in the article too as VT Digger is trying to get a more accurate picture of how much the virus spread at the game. I'd encourage people who were there to fill it out.

I'm sure UVM is loving this given that ticket deposits are due next week.

·
Premium Member
33,155 Posts
Obvious stuff is too obvious, but given all that the public knows about COVID-19 Patrick Gymnasium for a UVM men's basketball game is the absolute worst possible place to be. A large Nursing-home like age population, shoulder to shoulder in a tightly confined indoor space....given all the measures taken already to prevent/limit the spread of this thing, I can't see games being played there in front of fans until there's a vaccine.

This is where right now it's best to be Maine and play in that empty arena; can space the 250 fans 100ft apart. Apologies , but Obligatory shot at Maine by token arrogant UVM fan!

That all being said, still signed up for season tix, knowing there's likely a zero percent chance myself or any other fan will be allowed inside Patrick in 2020-21.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
UVM is allowing season ticket holders to not purchase tickets for 2020-21 but keep their seats for 2021-22 and following. This is the option I'm taking since there doesn't appear to be any realistic possibility of being safe at any game until a vaccine is available.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Follow up on the semifinal's spread: VT Digger's survey had 20 people who tested positive for Covid and 34 people who stated they experienced Covid symptoms after the game.

At first I found VT Digger's investigations interesting and noteworthy, but now it is becoming bad publicity and the continuation of this series is not good for the program.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it (the publicity, not the coronavirus...I would continue to be wary of that). I don't think anyone is blaming UVM for this: this is one of those times where everyone can legitimately proclaim ignorance and it doesn't sound hollow. There's a lot we all either didn't fully comprehend or thought would probably be ok on March 10th that obviously wouldn't fly now. Especially at the time when I believe VT only had 1 actual confirmed case, and it was in Bennington County.

If anything it's lucky this wasn't even more widespread, and I think we're all fortunate that VT has handled this from a public health perspective as well as or better than most states. But I certainly don't think anyone is looking to pile on UVM as being any kind of catalyst to infection. I'd say reporting like this is important because I think there are still people who don't quite understand the rapid close-contact infection rate that is capable in those conditions. This has been a helpful illustration.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it (the publicity, not the coronavirus...I would continue to be wary of that). I don't think anyone is blaming UVM for this: this is one of those times where everyone can legitimately proclaim ignorance and it doesn't sound hollow. There's a lot we all either didn't fully comprehend or thought would probably be ok on March 10th that obviously wouldn't fly now. Especially at the time when I believe VT only had 1 actual confirmed case, and it was in Bennington County.

If anything it's lucky this wasn't even more widespread, and I think we're all fortunate that VT has handled this from a public health perspective as well as or better than most states. But I certainly don't think anyone is looking to pile on UVM as being any kind of catalyst to infection. I'd say reporting like this is important because I think there are still people who don't quite understand the rapid close-contact infection rate that is capable in those conditions. This has been a helpful illustration.
I couldn't have said it any better. There was no expectation that it would be a serious issue at the time. In hindsight, a terrible idea to host the game, especially since it seems that COVID-19 was present in the U.S. before the new year, but nobody was aware of that. The situation was quickly developing that week.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

It's up to 54 with symptoms, 20 positive tests. 47 more in the survey listed Covid symptoms, but VT Digger couldn't verify with the respondents themselves in follow up. Means a potential of near 100 cases attached to the game. A short interview with one of the survivors whose husband passed because of Covid and with the lead writer on how they started on the process of tracking the story. Worth the listen, in the same link the transcript is going to be posted later it sounds.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Skylar Nash advocates with Rep. Peter Welch (D-VT) and leaders of Vermont‘s colored community for passage of the George Floyd Police Accountability Act, which passed in the House but some say is unlikely to make it the the Senate due to McConnell’s opposition to revoking “qualified immunity” for officers.

“Bad policing is just one symptom of a disease called systemic racism," said Skyler Nash with the Vermont Racial Equity Alliance

Skylar was with Gov. Scott’s racial equity commissioner, Xusana Davis, and Kyle Dodson, who was a standout SG at Harvard before a successful career in finance—both of whom are heavyweights in Vermont politics and the state’s African-American community.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Skylar Nash advocates with Rep. Peter Welch (D-VT) and leaders of Vermont‘s colored community for passage of the George Floyd Police Accountability Act, which passed in the House but some say is unlikely to make it the the Senate due to McConnell’s opposition to revoking “qualified immunity” for officers.

“Bad policing is just one symptom of a disease called systemic racism," said Skyler Nash with the Vermont Racial Equity Alliance

Skylar was with Gov. Scott’s racial equity commissioner, Xusana Davis, and Kyle Dodson, who was a standout SG at Harvard before a successful career in finance—both of whom are heavyweights in Vermont politics and the state’s African-American community.

I've noticed that a lot of folks on the basketball team are becoming politically active members of our community. I can only hope that this trend continues going further.

While I would have loved to see what Nash can do on the court - his contributions to this community have been invaluable. We can only hope these young leaders put down roots in Vermont and continue to work to improve our communities.

Thank you Skylar.

1161 - 1180 of 1186 Posts