Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
This article, referring to one of the biggest losses in Bonaventure history, was posted on the Bona Board, by would you believe a Niagara fan. I decided to post this here for a couple of reasons, one is because of how well written it is, compared to the stuff we read in blogs, etc., and I think many of you would appreciate the basketball history.

The game was in 1961, the Bonnies were ranked #2 in the nation and had won 99 straight games at the Olean Armory. I was a freshman at the time, and of course attended the game....getting there around 3 pm for the game that was to start at 7....waiting outside the entrance (which was down a set of stairs), some of the students had already imbibed, and someone barfing in those closed quarters made it even more difficult.

But before I go into details, I would like to review a bit about the team. The team was lead by 2 seniors and a soph. Tom Stith was a 2 time all-american, his sophomore roommate, Fred Crawford (who would play a few years in the NBA) and Whitey Martin who also played for the Knicks for a bit, were the heart of the team. They opened 9-0, and were ranked around 12th, playing in the NY Holiday Festival, they got to the finals against #1 ranked Ohio State (jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Bobby Knight and more). At halftime the Bonnies trailed 40-36.....the 1st half was not televised, the 2nd half was....Red Auerbach (coach and GM of the Celtics) was interviewed at the half, and stated that a good defensive player will always hold down an offensive player....and Havlicek had held Stith to 7 points. Well in the 2nd half Stith scored 28 points, and the Bonnies lost 84-82, which would be their only loss until the Niagara game. They were 21-1, beating #2 Bradley on the way, and were now ranked #2 . But something was going on. If you read the article, you will notice that Coach Donovan mentioned that Stith had lost 15 lbs since the beginning of the season. The BOnnies lost 2 in a row (following Niagara then at Duquesne, and then were trailing Canisius at halftime before beating them). Going into the NCAA tournament they were 22-3, before losing to Wake Forest in a game were they were truly screwed...but that is another topic.

At the end of the season, when the team had their physicals, it was discovered that both Tom Stith and Fred Crawford were playing with Tuberculosis, which answered why the team was lethargic at the end of the year.

https://www.si.com/vault/1961/03/06/670302/st-bonaventure-is-secondbest

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
In the not-too-distant future, there should be some more clarity with the remaining open scholarships.

One of our main targets, 6'9" Kareem Reid (7'5" wingspan), announces his decision on Monday after just visiting SBU.

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
In the not-too-distant future, there should be some more clarity with the remaining open scholarships.

One of our main targets, 6'9" Kareem Reid (7'5" wingspan), announces his decision on Monday after just visiting SBU.
I think VCU was on Reid for a bit but they have Hason Ward in on an official visit this weekend. I think the Bonnies also offered Ward.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

I think VCU was on Reid for a bit but they have Hanson Ward in on an official visit this weekend. I think the Bonnies also offered Ward.
Reid is at Putnam Science Academy. I wonder how their coach gets such good players, being that it's such a small school in a rural area and all.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Help me out, fellows. Is the Bandwagon turning into a deeper morass or it is that the trolls are just getting better? I'm assuming you've seen the latest...

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Help me out, fellows. Is the Bandwagon turning into a deeper morass or it is that the trolls are just getting better? I'm assuming you've seen the latest...
It’s unreadable over there for a number of reasons: Threads don’t stay on topic... ever; many posters ask the same questions (transfer rules, NCAA signing periods, etc.) year after year after year; the “Bills Fan” over-the-moon predictions (when things are looking okay); the rock bottom pessimism (when things aren’t looking okay); the impulsive need to start new threads—many of which have nothing to do with basketball—for seemingly any new thought.

Oh, and did I mention the serial misspelling of our own players’ names?

I can’t f’ing do it.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
It’s unreadable over there for a number of reasons: Threads don’t stay on topic... ever; many posters ask the same questions (transfer rules, NCAA signing periods, etc.) year after year after year; the “Bills Fan” over-the-moon predictions (when things are looking okay); the rock bottom pessimism (when things aren’t looking okay); the impulsive need to start new threads for seemingly any new thought.

I can’t f’ing do it.
I agree on all counts, though the specific thread I was referring to, while incorporating some of your elements, is the antithesis of rock bottom pessimism.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I agree on all counts, though the specific thread I was referring to, while incorporating some of your elements, is the antithesis of rock bottom pessimism.
That is the way of the Buffalo Bills fan.

Anything good happen? Playoffs. Super Bowl. Jump through burning tables.

Rough patch? Self-deprication. Impending doom. Shiva cometh. Jump through burning tables.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
That is the way of the Buffalo Bills fan.

Anything good happen? Playoffs. Super Bowl. Jump through burning tables.

Rough patch? Self-deprication. Impending doom. Shiva cometh. Jump through burning tables.
You forgot.. something good happens.. it's gotta end, we're gonna get screwed, player X is gonna leave, coach is gonna bolt.

·
Registered
879 Posts
It’s unreadable over there for a number of reasons: Threads don’t stay on topic... ever; many posters ask the same questions (transfer rules, NCAA signing periods, etc.) year after year after year; the “Bills Fan” over-the-moon predictions (when things are looking okay); the rock bottom pessimism (when things aren’t looking okay); the impulsive need to start new threads—many of which have nothing to do with basketball—for seemingly any new thought.

I can’t f’ing do it.
Sounds eerily similar to another site I know

1 - 20 of 64 Posts