Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
We’re 13th in the most recent NET ranking, so not playing a true OOC didn’t hurt. I am certain that the committee will use this to move the Flyer’s to the 8/9 seed line or justify some other screw job if they make the tournament. We usually have a H&H with a P5 but didn’t this year. We don’t get the made for TV road games that the pundits gush over, so fuck em. Neutral site games against 2, 28, 29, 48 and 70 is nothing to be ashamed about.
I guess I'll never understand this NET thing. Not only do I not know how it is calculated, but somehow Dayton is able to manipulate the math to be ranked 13th without even playing a true OOC game???

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If I understand the NET calculation the adjusted winning percentage component is second from the last in weighting of the five components, and even then it appears that a team would need a lot of road wins to noticeably move the needle.

The Flyers Team Value Index is good now because of wins over St. Mary’s, Georgia, and VaTech on neutral courts. They are maxing out the scoring margin component, and their efficiency component has to be close to the best in the country. This combined with an overall good winning percentage minimizes the impact of not playing a true road game.

I suspect that the Flyers Team Value will slip as Georgia and VaTech lose in conference, and P5 get more chances at quality wins in conference. The P5 doesn’t get an advantage with the efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and winning margin components.

I’m guessing the lack of a road game means nothing in OOC because most of the top teams play very few roads. I am sure that the committee would use it to screw UD (or any other mid-major) in seeding

I

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If I understand the NET calculation the adjusted winning percentage component is second from the last in weighting of the five components, and even then it appears that a team would need a lot of road wins to noticeably move the needle.

The Flyers Team Value Index is good now because of wins over St. Mary’s, Georgia, and VaTech on neutral courts. They are maxing out the scoring margin component, and their efficiency component has to be close to the best in the country. This combined with an overall good winning percentage minimizes the impact of not playing a true road game.

I suspect that the Flyers Team Value will slip as Georgia and VaTech lose in conference, and P5 get more chances at quality wins in conference. The P5 doesn’t get an advantage with the efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and winning margin components.

I’m guessing the lack of a road game means nothing in OOC because most of the top teams play very few roads. I am sure that the committee would use it to screw UD (or any other mid-major) in seeding

I
I think 84 is surprised Dayton is 13 while 0-0 in OOC. They played no true OOC. Not no true road OOC. ;)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I think 84 is surprised Dayton is 13 while 0-0 in OOC. They played no true OOC. Not no true road OOC. ;)
I get his point but it doesn’t appear that road games are one of the more components of NET. Unless you beat a “good” team on the road its not that big of a factor in the calculation because this impacts the most heavily weighted Team Value Index component. I believe this to be true because most of the highly ranked teams are only playing 1 or 2 road games OOC.

Conferences like the A10 will be hurt by the Team Value Index in conference because the P5 teams have significantly more chances for “good” wins in conference. I believe there is no disadvantage to A10 teams with the other 4 components.

I don’t know how the components are weighted other than most important to least important, but obviously we don’t need to play road games OOC.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I get his point but it doesn’t appear that road games are one of the more components of NET. Unless you beat a “good” team on the road its not that big of a factor in the calculation because this impacts the most heavily weighted Team Value Index component. I believe this to be true because most of the highly ranked teams are only playing 1 or 2 road games OOC.

Conferences like the A10 will be hurt by the Team Value Index in conference because the P5 teams have significantly more chances for “good” wins in conference. I believe there is no disadvantage to A10 teams with the other 4 components.

I don’t know how the components are weighted other than most important to least important, but obviously we don’t need to play road games OOC.
I still not sure you get it. Because of a typo, your original post said UD was #13 NET without playing any home, neutral, or road non A-10 games.
We were both joking about how amazing that was...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I still not sure you get it. Because of a typo, your original post said UD was #13 NET without playing any home, neutral, or road non A-10 games.
We were both joking about how amazing that was...
OK, never mind

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Underrated, yet aesthetically pleasing ... Join the Fight

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Which aspect of the Dayton program is “mid-major”?

Lazy, foolhardy bullshit.
I don’t get triggered by the mid-major label because we’re not part of the P5. I get a case of red ass when when the BE and AAC are considered as power conferences though.

I do agree that these bastards that write the articles probably don’t know how UD, VCU and other A10 teams operate. On the other hand, writing about a “mid-major” having national recognition is a better story than a non P5 team that operates at a high major level having national recognition.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I don’t get triggered by the mid-major label because we’re not part of the P5. I get a case of red ass when when the BE and AAC are considered as power conferences though.
Some of that doesn't make sense. Dayton and VCU for example are well thought of. Dayton is ranked for it's good team, and play, this year.
It's hard not to consider the BE a power conference when they are the number 1 conference above all the P5's. They don't play football so can't be that discussion.
But looking at basketball "conferences" they do pretty well.
There's a big difference in conference total performance and the individual performance of one team.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Some of that doesn't make sense. Dayton and VCU for example are well thought of. Dayton is ranked for it's good team, and play, this year.
It's hard not to consider the BE a power conference when they are the number 1 conference above all the P5's. They don't play football so can't be that discussion.
But looking at basketball "conferences" they do pretty well.
There's a big difference in conference total performance and the individual performance of one team.
First of all Paul, a lot of what I post doesn’t make sense.

Going back to Bill Russell’s question - “which aspect of the Dayton program is mid major”? There is nothing mid-major about the way Dayton operates. In fact, it operates on the same level as every Big East Program, and most P5 programs.

The most egregious use of the mid-major label is when Gonzaga is included in the group.

I see a huge difference in the P5 and the rest of the conferences because of the obscene amount of revenue these conferences generate. Most of the individual P5 members get more revenue in one year from their conferences than FOX gives the entire BE conference in a year.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
J-Roc from Trailer Park Boys (Chase Johnson) has withdrawn from Dayton. Now the search begins to find the A10’s grubbiest poser.

Wait. I already found him...

It’s Bailey Steele.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts