Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that AE play is done... Congrats again to UVM.

Looking forward to next year. I think this year is and last year were probably uvms two best years to walk into ncaa tourney... They were far superior during regular season. I do see the gap closing further next year. Sbu, umbc (if they get any recruits) , Albany and uml will all be better and I see further pushing uvm.

Very early preseason picks... (uvm fans you can join in on this thread after you're done playing)

UVM
SBU
UML
UA
UMBC
BING
MAINE
HARTFORD
UNH

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think top 5 can go any way but I don't see uvm dropping below 2nd. I can see sbu range 1-3, UA uml and umbc 2-5.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Vermont
Stony Brook
Albany
UMBC
UMass-Lowell
Binghamton - only if Bruce and Ty Stewart will be back, otherwise I'd drop them to 8th and move UNH and Maine up a spot
New Hampshire
Maine
Hartford

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know the recruiting situation (an article suggested they were going to wait until after the season?), but we get Curran and Akin back.
Odom has proven himself to be a heck of a coach but you lose Sherburne... That's gonna sting. Umbc will be in the thick of it though I would expect.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
If Boals leaves I put us in the 2-3 range, provided we get some recruits that can contribute right away. If he stays I think we are in the 3-4 slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
I'm not saying they will be top 3, but expectations for UA will be very high. Will be returning something like 85% of this year's scoring, the starting 5 will have a year under their belt, Clark will be in his second real year of D1, the bigs will have another summer of workouts, and 2 highly touted recruits entering.

Going to be hard to knock UVM off it's perch, SBU will be tough. Bing should be improved. UML should be improved. I'll never count Odom out. Maine should be improved. Really only Hartford and NH seem destined to be at the bottom. Next season should be an extremely good one for the AE.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm not saying they will be top 3, but expectations for UA will be very high. Will be returning something like 85% of this year's scoring, the starting 5 will have a year under their belt, Clark will be in his second real year of D1, the bigs will have another summer of workouts, and 2 highly touted recruits entering.

Going to be hard to knock UVM off it's perch, SBU will be tough. Bing should be improved. UML should be improved. I'll never count Odom out. Maine should be improved. Really only Hartford and NH seem destined to be at the bottom. Next season should be an extremely good one for the AE.
Huh?

They are losing their second and third scoring options (Caleb Stewart and Show), their two best defenders (Davis and Barnard) and their reliable backup point guard (Rose).

If anything, I expect the team to perform even worse next year, even if Bruce does return and play like he did in 2017-18.

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Huh?

They are losing their second and third scoring options (Caleb Stewart and Show), their two best defenders (Davis and Barnard) and their reliable backup point guard (Rose).

If anything, I expect the team to perform even worse next year, even if Bruce does return and play like he did in 2017-18.
Sessoms returns for his second year, and a couple recruits coming in that look nice. Not to put down the players that are leaving, but I'm thinking anyone else coming in or earning time won't be a downgrade.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sessoms returns for his second year, and a couple recruits coming in that look nice. Not to put down the players that are leaving, but I'm thinking anyone else coming in or earning time won't be a downgrade.
Stewart and Show (and Barnard for that matter) weren't studs by any means, but expecting first-year players (be it redshirts or true freshmen) to come in and produce like they did is mighty optimistic to say the least.

Neither Mills or Tinsley excite me all that much from, admittedly, the little I've seen. Not saying they won't turn out to be good players, but good enough right off the bat to replace Stewart and Show? I'm skeptical of that. We're talking about one the conference's best forwards this season (3rd in blocks, 5th in rebounds, averaged 11 ppg, hit 61 threes) in Stewart and a shooter in Show that, while streaky, averaged double-figures each year in the AE and nearly reached 1,000 career America East points (finished with 964) in less than 2.5 seasons (only played 12 games in 2016-17)--a rate that would have been approximately 1,600 points over a four-year career at 32 games/season. Neither Stewart nor Show were perfect players, but let's not pretend like any and every incoming recruit is capable of doing what they did, especially right out the gate on Day 1.

Getting Bruce back and playing at the level he was in 2017-2018 is what will make the biggest impact. I have no idea what to expect from the redshirts Besselink and Carter Stewart. Both have good size at around 6'6". Besselink seems pretty skilled from clips I've seen and the younger Stewart might be a better shooter than his older brother. Aside from that, we also don't know how the remaining scholarships are going to be used. I think they have another three or four available. It's entirely possibly they bring in a JUCO or two who contribute right away.

I'm not saying they will definitively be worse. 10 wins isn't exactly a high mark to pass. There are just a lot of question marks, too many for me to say at this point that we are going to be better in 2019-20.

·
Premium Member
32,411 Posts
The trio of Stef/Shungu/Deloney will potentially be....formidable.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
UMBC is only losing one impact player from this team. I expect them to be right in the mix for a championship next season.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
... if Odom hasn't moved up

This is true. But, he seems happy and so does his family. We can’t compete with $1M a year but I think if he lands the right players next season could be special again. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 171 Posts