Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,148 Posts
The trio of Stef/Shungu/Deloney will potentially be....formidable.
Stef is decent...the rest mehhh at this point in time. Not sure Shungu and a freshman Deloney who's gonna play 10mpg is gonna scare anyone at this point.
I don’t know many AE teams, ex-Bing if Sessoms is back, that will have one good PG next season, let alone potentially 3.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don’t know many AE teams, ex-Bing if Sessoms is back, that will have one good PG next season, let alone potentially 3.
Again Stef yes... Shungu doesn't move a needle and the 3rd is a freshman. We saw how things went will Moll this year when we were all lectured how it's gonna be impossible to match up with him.

I'll give you Stef... Always like him. He had a strange season but is quite talented even if he struggled with his shooting and low assist rate. He should be nice next two years just needs to keep growing.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
Stef is decent...the rest mehhh at this point in time. Not sure Shungu and a freshman Deloney who's gonna play 10mpg is gonna scare anyone at this point.
This is an ironic stance coming from a guy who spends a significant amount of time touting Dougherty on his own board.

·
Premium Member
33,148 Posts
If you want to keep it really simple, the question around the league for next year is basically this: will the gap between Lamb and the next best player in this conference- whomever people would say that was, Lutete? Lynch? Yeboah?- be as wide next year as it was this year? Because that gap this year was ginormously wide.

If Becker and Lamb are both back next season- I think they should be but nobody ever knows- and stay healthy obviously, senior year Lamb is a scary vision.

·
Premium Member
33,148 Posts
Again Stef yes... Shungu doesn't move a needle and the 3rd is a freshman. We saw how things went will Moll this year when we were all lectured how it's gonna be impossible to match up with him.

I'll give you Stef... Always like him. He had a strange season but is quite talented even if he struggled with his shooting and low assist rate. He should be nice next two years just needs to keep growing.

Again, I can’t think of many point guards around this conference returning I like better than both Stef and Shungu. Shungu came on late, started, made the team bettter and gained more minutes and has proven to be really solid PG on both side of the ball.

Add in Deloney-Oregon Gatorade POY-and that’s quite a but of talent at the position.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am biased of course, but for the regular season and assuming Becker, Lamb, et al return, no injuries, I'll take UVM over the field any day.

We will have three good to excellent perimeter defenders back (Steph, R-Dunc and Shungu). We'll miss Dingba's rim protection, hoping Ra takes it up a notch

Can we knock down enough threes to keep the swarm off of Lamb? That will be a big question next year

·
Registered
454 Posts

I agree with this, but I do think Shungu's stock is rising. He seems to be rising to the occasion more and more when given the opportunity. We'll see what next year brings....after the Dance!

·
Premium Member
33,148 Posts

I agree with this, but I do think Shungu's stock is rising. He seems to be rising to the occasion more and more when given the opportunity. We'll see what next year brings....after the Dance!
Shungu has played his way into the starting lineup now and just played 35min in the AE championship game, scored 9pts and played exceptional D.

You wouldn’t have been able to find a single person that would have guessed that outcome at the beginning of the season. To say he’s been trending upwards would be a massive understatement.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That's fair... I haven't seen much of him outside of spot minites but I'll take your word for it. Listen... Kids develop to fill voids. Uvm has a history under Becker next man up. Wouldn't surprise me if he took the next step. You guys know his game better.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Shungu has played his way into the starting lineup now and just played 35min in the AE championship game, scored 9pts and played exceptional D.

You wouldn’t have been able to find a single person that would have guessed that outcome at the beginning of the season. To say he’s been trending upwards would be a massive understatement.
We were talking the pg position... Even yesterday he played 35m and had 2ast and 2to. Plus the 35 min in part were because earnie foul trouble.

·
Premium Member
33,148 Posts

We were talking the pg position... Even yesterday he played 35m and had 2ast and 2to. Plus the 35 min in part were because earnie foul trouble.

Right, Shungu is a PG

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Ben Shungu went from averaging 6.2 minutes per game last year to 18.5 this year, an average which rose as the season went on. He started the last five games, averaging 25.4 minutes. I'm excited to see him continue to develop; he's become an important piece for Vermont.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I won't pick anyone over a team that has Lamb. As long as he's at Vermont, they have to be favored to win.

I think the top half of the league seems pretty decent next year with Vermont, SBU, UMBC, Albany and UML all bringing back some real nice talent. Bottom half looks to be awful as usual...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Vermont getting more from a local walk-on than most teams get from scholarship players they had to travel the country recruiting, says about all you need to know with regards to why the W-L totals for the Catamounts over the last 20 seasons are what they are while other programs find it so difficult to string together back-to-back 20-win seasons.

Clancy Rugg also comes to mind.

There isn't a more deserving school in the AE who earns the title of truly being a "program" in the sense that they have an idea of how to develop players to win basketball games, and they do it. Rosters are always changing, but Vermont just keeps winning. Lonergan left, Becker steps in and just keeps winning. Very impressive, and certainly there are fans across the conference who must be a little envious of those who get to watch and follow such a program every winter--I'd know, I am one of them!

·
Premium Member
33,148 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Vermont getting more from a local walk-on than most teams get from scholarship players they had to travel the country recruiting, says about all you need to know with regards to why the W-L totals for the Catamounts over the last 20 seasons are what they are while other programs find it so difficult to string together back-to-back 20-win seasons.

Clancy Rugg also comes to mind.

There isn't a more deserving school in the AE who earns the title of truly being a "program" in the sense that they have an idea of how to develop players to win basketball games, and they do it. Rosters are always changing, but Vermont just keeps winning. Lonergan left, Becker steps in and just keeps winning. Very impressive, and certainly there are fans across the conference who must be a little envious of those who get to watch and follow such a program every winter--I'd know, I am one of them!
Ben Shungu, Clancy Rugg, and Chad Powlovich were all walk-ons who earned a scholarship. Each was also Vermont's HS Mr Basketball. (Is that right? Am I missing anyone?)

21 - 40 of 171 Posts