Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Vermont getting more from a local walk-on than most teams get from scholarship players they had to travel the country recruiting, says about all you need to know with regards to why the W-L totals for the Catamounts over the last 20 seasons are what they are while other programs find it so difficult to string together back-to-back 20-win seasons.

Clancy Rugg also comes to mind.

There isn't a more deserving school in the AE who earns the title of truly being a "program" in the sense that they have an idea of how to develop players to win basketball games, and they do it. Rosters are always changing, but Vermont just keeps winning. Lonergan left, Becker steps in and just keeps winning. Very impressive, and certainly there are fans across the conference who must be a little envious of those who get to watch and follow such a program every winter--I'd know, I am one of them!
Prior to this year when Albany lost two kids to grad transfer who would have started... Albany had 3 ncaas and 22,21,24,24,19,24,19 win seasons. I think it's fair to say had nichols and cremo stayed Albany would have been close to 20 again. I don't expect Albany to be around 10 wins for long.

Your point is true for some of the league but not all. Sbu has had many 20 win seasons this decade, this is umbcs 3rd straight year of 20+.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
There should be optimism for the league collectively, would be surprised if the AE’s rating as a conference didn’t improve some over this year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Prior to this year when Albany lost two kids to grad transfer who would have started... Albany had 3 ncaas and 22,21,24,24,19,24,19 win seasons. I think it's fair to say had nichols and cremo stayed Albany would have been close to 20 again. I don't expect Albany to be around 10 wins for long.

Your point is true for some of the league but not all. Sbu has had many 20 win seasons this decade, this is umbcs 3rd straight year of 20+.
Obviously. I never said it was.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I feel like we say this a lot...

The bottom half of the league might not improve much, I guess I’m thinking the AE only had 1 team in the Top 150 this year, which I can think of multiple years where we had 3 teams in Top 150. Next year? Who knows? Cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
It’s also possible that come November only Brown and Duquette are left from the list of the five promising programs for next season.

It’s not likely but it’s certainly possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gr8t Dane
661 Posts
I feel like we say this a lot...

I disagree. It seems every year multiple teams are decimated by graduations and transfers. While each team might be losing a star here and there, but it feels like that majority of teams have a lot coming back. Hartford is the only team that gets killed by grads this season.

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I disagree. It seems every year multiple teams are decimated by graduations and transfers. While each team might be losing a star here and there, but it feels like that majority of teams have a lot coming back. Hartford is the only team that gets killed by grads this season.
We haven't even hit the transfer window yet...

·
Gr8t Dane
661 Posts
We haven't even hit the transfer window yet...

Obviously things can change with transfers. I'm curious what will happen with SBU and their recruits now with Boals leaving. At this moment, only 6 of the 15 all conference players aren't returning, along with what appears to be one of these strongest freshman classes in years. The POY is returning.

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Lol, seriously, it's not even going to be funny how much better UVM will be than everyone and everything else in AE play...

But for fun, here are mine:

UVM
SBU
UMBC
UML
UA
BING
HART
MAINE
UNH
3 years ago UVM lost 0 AE games, 2 years ago 1, this year 2...UVM is still a clear pick for #1 but the road will get harder not easier next year. As long as Lamb is around...

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
UVM trending in the wrong direction.........3 losses next season?
My point is, these things are cyclical. You guys can assume UVM is just gonna walk in every single year all you want...there's a bit of hubris in the UVM fan community I think. Not all...

I mean, UMBC beat you TWICE with Lamb in the regular season with a bunch of kids injured.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I think he missed the first game but the cyclical nature is very true.

We are making an assumption that SBU hires a good coach and everyone stays. But if someone like Yeboah can graduate, then that has a huge impact on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Lamb was hurt their first meeting this year
You gonna really try that nonsense with UMBC missing two significant contributors (KenPom) in Akin and Curran for most of the year?

Stop it, you're better then this...my point remains as long as Lamb is around, UVM will be the favorite but these things are cyclical.

Down the stretch even this year...struggled with Hartford, lost to UMBC, SBU pushed you at home. It's not gonna get easier with losing your best shooter and one of your best defender and two players that were 5th year seniors and had a ton of experience.

Going into next year UVM needs to shore up outside shooting and get some production inside or the gap will further narrow.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My point is, these things are cyclical. You guys can assume UVM is just gonna walk in every single year all you want...there's a bit of hubris in the UVM fan community I think. Not all...

I mean, UMBC beat you TWICE with Lamb in the regular season with a bunch of kids injured.
It's also been awhile since we've really needed someone to make a big jump. With Ernie leaving that opportunity is there. I like the talent on the team and with the incoming players but we will see if anyone can fill that void. I'm optimistic based on what I've seen and how the program has been able to keep rolling but it's definitely an unknown. Still though....Lamb>everyone else.

·
Premium Member
32,574 Posts
Becker is 107-21 in AE regular season during Becker's time at UVM. LoL. Those step backs people are wishing for? Haven't been happening.

41 - 60 of 171 Posts