Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
With all due respect to bos, my gut tells me that Vermont actually will be better next year.
Only losing two guys? C'mon. This year was a rebuild after losing an epic class.

Having only seen typical youtube vids of Deloney (is it a coincidence that no one ever misses a shot in those?), I think he plays early. If he is a productive shooter, he's getting someone's minutes. If I'm wrong, then Stef/Robin/Shungu and anyone else who's healthy should suffice.
Big men take longer to develop. Kpedi and Davis will improve. How much will decide the high water mark for the '20 Catamounts.

The discussion NEXT year at this time will regard the graduation of an all time great. Replacing that one guy will be a serious issue. But for now we can nibble around the edges.
That's fine... To be clear I will still pick uvm first in pre season and I'm not saying uvm is gonna fall off the face of the ae planet. But in my experience these things are cyclical... I don't think uvm was as good this year as they were last year. That's just my impression and observation.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
32,573 Posts
Yeah, 2020-21 is when everyone should be setting their sights.

Unless players like Davis/Kpedi/Moll/Patella/R. Duncan/Nash provide more answers next year, then there will be a lot of questions after Lamb graduates...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Plenty to discuss when the head coaches of the top three seeds all leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a hunch, but I don’t see Becker leaving this year. I also believe when he does it will be for an already well oiled machine and established program, multiple levels higher. I don’t see him leaving for just more money to a struggling program at a similar or 1 level above Vermont.

·
Registered
161 Posts
After a few days of being done for the year I have some thoughts on UVM next year.

Becker, Lamb, and Shungu were on the local news tonight for a live interview. I understand Becker isn't going to say "I won't be here" when asked about next season. That being said I don't think he's going anywhere. All three answered questions about next year as if this team is just getting started and they will only get better. Becker will stick around until this team peaks and I think next year he will have more offers, along with losing Lamb.

Lamb seems like he will take another step forward and push this team to where they want to be. I feel like the Steph Smith of the AE tournament is the Steph we will get next season. Shungu could be an X factor as he gets confidence offensively. Robin is only going to get better and could start next year. Moll could be a reliable player at this level moving forward, possibly a starter. If Davis doesn't have to deal with as many nagging injuries he could take a huge step up, that's a big "if". Ra looked comfortable late in the year for the first time ever and that should roll into next year. Everett should be a guy that can provide a little bit of everything from shooting to tough defense and rebounding, maybe a sixth man of the year candidate. Patella will fight for minutes and when given a chance he plays well.

Little things like Nash being healthy and in uniform will have a positive effect on the team regardless of his production. Any newcomer, freshman or transfer, that can contribute right away is a bonus. Another big or any rebounder would be nice for Lamb to continue to be a factor outside and as a playmaker. If Aaron Delaney is the type of scoring guard he's advertised to be then great. He could be a nice player off the bench and help with some of the droughts this team goes through. If he's not ready to do that right away that's ok, we need to develop him and there's no need to rush. I believe we have another SG coming in also, I'm not sure we have the minutes to go around and one or more freshman will have to redshirt.

This is a talented group coming back. UVM will be the favorite yet again. Like we've witnessed in previous years however, it's all about being at your best when it counts. There are several teams capable of knocking us down. Should be a lot of fun next year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Becker would be crazy to leave before Lamb's senior year. I think he'll put out feelers this time next year.
This.

Vermont should experience some senior season magic from Lamb. Only makes sense to leave now if there is a once-in-a-lifetime offer on the table that you know won't ever come around again.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I think there are a couple of OOC games to be scheduled at least. Getting heavyweight games and winning at least one will be the early measure of the team. Deloney looks like another Smith quality scorer and with other improvements I see next year's team being even better than this year. Becker is still young and admits he is still learning, even though he seems to be doing just fine now. Moving to a "bigger" job may be a lot more bullshit and less fun. You have to work hard for that money. Enjoy life at the top of a smaller mountain.

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I think there are a couple of OOC games to be scheduled at least. Getting heavyweight games and winning at least one will be the early measure of the team. Deloney looks like another Smith quality scorer and with other improvements I see next year's team being even better than this year. Becker is still young and admits he is still learning, even though he seems to be doing just fine now. Moving to a "bigger" job may be a lot more bullshit and less fun. You have to work hard for that money. Enjoy life at the top of a smaller mountain.
The failure rate of guys moving up in my observation is astronomical... Does anyone else feel that way? It seems they move and 90% are looking for new jobs in 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
The failure rate of guys moving up in my observation is astronomical... Does anyone else feel that way? It seems they move and 90% are looking for new jobs in 3 or 4 years.

Most of them are moving up to take over someone else's mess. A disaster of a program is a disaster of a program no matter what conference you are in.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Most of them are moving up to take over someone else's mess. A disaster of a program is a disaster of a program no matter what conference you are in.
This is correct. If you are John Becker or another successful coach, you are far, far better off being patient and waiting for a coaching position to open up at an already established program with a winning tradition. Jumping for money alone is short sighted indeed.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
This is correct. If you are John Becker or another successful coach, you are far, far better off being patient and waiting for a coaching position to open up at an already established program with a winning tradition. Jumping for money alone is short sighted indeed.
I'll add on clueless-ness of Athletic Directors doing the hiring who can't properly evaluate their own programs to find the right coaching fit. There are right guys to fix disasters...ADs just rarely hire them because they aren't going to win the press conference.

·
Premium Member
32,573 Posts
Just a hunch, but I don’t see Becker leaving this year. I also believe when he does it will be for an already well oiled machine and established program, multiple levels higher. I don’t see him leaving for just more money to a struggling program at a similar or 1 level above Vermont.
Really not a lot of jobs out there right now that a. would make sense for Becker and b. jobs where he'd be a final candidate (Vanderbilt, California).

He's from Fairfield, it pays more sure, but when you factor in cost of living in Fairfield County and Burlington he's coming out ahead in Burlington. Also, you don't leave the AE for the MAAC unless your AD is planning to fire you. Unless it's like, Maine to Siena or something.

I know Coaching Changes said William & Mary is willing to go up to 700K for its new HC, I'd like to see how real/sources on that. That's a massive increase over what previous coach was making, and if it had any truth to it I'd honestly be intrigued as Becker would, on paper, be a great fit there. I'm sure he wouldn't mind living back in DC area making 700K instead of the 80K he made as an IT Director or whatever last time he lived there. But, trading a one bid league- that's harder to win than one he's in now- for another? Why, especially with Lamb coming back.

St. Joe's would be another good job but the Philly schools hire Philly guys, for the most part. That's a thing. Temple just hired Aaron McKie lol.

Fordham is probably one of the worst jobs in the country, but would be a pay day, although if he wanted that pay day he would have taken the Duquesne job. Highly doubtful. You don't win 80% of your conference games to end up at Fordham.

·
Premium Member
32,573 Posts
81 - 100 of 171 Posts