Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,411 Posts
People thought that the conference was down in 2018-19 from 2017-18, it's going to look REALLY down in 2019-20:

*Hartford- Lose everybody. Will absolutely have to be least experienced team in D1 next season. Do they even have 10 scholarship roster players returning right now? Don't see how this team wins 10 games next year as of now.

*Stony Brook- just lost its HC and best player and another talented freshman. Might be fine under Ford, but losing Yeboah is huge blow.

*UMBC- Should be fine, return back court and have Odom, but losing its best player and still do not have any newcomers for next season (?). Lack of shooting on the roster.

Both Albany and Binghamton look like they should be ascending and better, but neither were that good in 2018-19 so unsure how that's going to translate into 2019-20.

Not sure what to make of UMass-Lowell but will likely be middle of the pack to 4th place, Maine and New Hampshire issue is going to be about bringing in talent to compete.

Conference is going to be down. Likely way down off the past two seasons.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
People thought that the conference was down in 2018-19 from 2017-18, it's going to look REALLY down in 2019-20:

*Hartford- Lose everybody. Will absolutely have to be least experienced team in D1 next season. Do they even have 10 scholarship roster players returning right now? Don't see how this team wins 10 games next year as of now.

*Stony Brook- just lost its HC and best player and another talented freshman. Might be fine under Ford, but losing Yeboah is huge blow.

*UMBC- Should be fine, return back court and have Odom, but losing its best player and still do not have any newcomers for next season (?). Lack of shooting on the roster.

Both Albany and Binghamton look like they should be ascending and better, but neither were that good in 2018-19 so unsure how that's going to translate into 2019-20.

Not sure what to make of UMass-Lowell but will likely be middle of the pack to 4th place, Maine and New Hampshire issue is going to be about bringing in talent to compete.

Hmm. Seems have left a team out of your assessment.

·
Premium Member
32,411 Posts
Hmm. Seems have left a team out of your assessment.
On purpose. There's probably been no less than 10 or so posts about UVM's team next year in various threads lol.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #105

Next year I agree is gonna be a bad year...based on recent changes in roster and coaches...

I got

- UVM
- UMBC
- Albany
- UML
- SBU
- Bing
- Maine
- UNH
- Hartford

·
Examiner
706 Posts
Next year I agree is gonna be a bad year...based on recent changes in roster and coaches...

I got

- UVM
- UMBC
- Albany
- UML
- SBU
- Bing
- Maine
- UNH
- Hartford
If Yeboah stays.. we will be in top three. If Yeboah leaves.. we will be in top three.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,195 Posts
If Yeboah stays.. we will be in top three. If Yeboah leaves.. we will be in top three.
Despite losing Yeboah, Moore, and Long? I'm not saying your wrong, but improvement from Albany could push you down as far as 4th. You still have a big ? at pg as well.

·
Examiner
706 Posts
Despite losing Yeboah, Moore, and Long? I'm not saying your wrong, but improvement from Albany could push you down as far as 4th. You still have a big ? at pg as well.
If one of Latimer or Olaniyi had left.. I would have very low expectations. They are capable of filling Yeboah's contribution after their excellent first year. I only expect more from them in the second year. Although no doubt I really really hope Yeboah stays. With Yeboah, Latimer and Olaniyi.. we should be challenging UVM. Without Yeboah.. I think we are top three.

Moor and Long are replaceable... both together played less than 20 minutes average as backups.

Foreman, who sat out a year after transfer.. will slot in as PG, has been impressive in practices. I expect him to get a lot of minutes from the get go. Although he is not pure PG. So I hope we look for a PG in transfer/JUCO.

We have got Otchere and Garcia as well as new comer Gueye as bigs. Christie and Ochefu as backups.

·
Registered
403 Posts
After UVM I see 3 sub-groups.

- UVM

- UMBC
- SBU
- Albany

- Maine
- Bing
- UML

- Hartford
- UNH
UMBC will be a significant cut above Stony Brook and Albany. Losing Sherburne is not gonna hurt as much as people here seem to presume. KJ Jackson and Eytle-Rock will pick up the load in terms of long range shooting. Horvath can stretch the floor and hit shot from the perimeter too. UMBC will be good. As a UVM fan, I am still concerned with and will say they certainly deserve more than to be ranking in Stony Brook/Albany’s group.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
UMBC will be a significant cut above Stony Brook and Albany. Losing Sherburne is not gonna hurt as much as people here seem to presume. KJ Jackson and Eytle-Rock will pick up the load in terms of long range shooting. Horvath can stretch the floor and hit shot from the perimeter too. UMBC will be good. As a UVM fan, I am still concerned with and will say they certainly deserve more than to be ranking in Stony Brook/Albany’s group.
I'm not sure how anyone can conclude UMBC will be head and shoulders above Albany considering in the regular season UA lost on the road in OT on a 3pt shot, turned around and beat them at home. And UMBC has zero recruits right now and lose Sherburne. Odom has proven himself to be a great x/o coach...he will find a way to stay up there I believe but he really needs some recruits. Right now I give them the nod to finish #2 but just not seeing the huge gap between them and UA.

Best thing about freshman is they become sophomores, isn't that the saying? I expect a significant jump from UA next year...if they can find a decent PG will be #2. I don't think there is any question (unless my purple glasses are really thick and fogged over) that UA has the best young crop of talent coming up if you look in totality (as a group) at the full roster. I'll take De Sousa, Rizzuto, Healey and Lulka (to a lesser extent) over most young talent in the AE. These kids will be more comfortable next year and should continue to grow into a great core. They took their lumps last year but went 7-4 down the stretch in the AE. I got high hopes for them next year...I know...it's April, let me get crazy! UA's freshman this year will be a pain in the ass for a few years...

The only team I think is significantly ahead of the rest is UVM due to Lamb. The rest are ancillary/good role players who plug in perfectly into Beckers system. If Lamb stays healthy they run away.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Yeah I have no idea what is going on at UMBC with recruiting right now. I think we are going to get some help from having Akjn and Curran back but they aren’t Sherburne on either side of the ball.

I would probably agree Albany is second right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Yeah I have no idea what is going on at UMBC with recruiting right now. I think we are going to get some help from having Akjn and Curran back but they aren’t Sherburne on either side of the ball.

I would probably agree Albany is second right now.

I have UMBC, in part because they should retain their STRONG defensive identity and have some proven talent in Jackson, Akin and Curren who will both be back from injuries and add in Lamar. A fairly athletic team that Odom has proven can really be motivated to play super hard.

If Odom can find some outside shooting...you'll be good again.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I have UMBC, in part because they should retain their STRONG defensive identity and have some proven talent in Jackson, Akin and Curren who will both be back from injuries and add in Lamar. A fairly athletic team that Odom has proven can really be motivated to play super hard.

If Odom can find some outside shooting...you'll be good again.

We do need shooters and a very strong senior year from Arkel Lamar from 3pt too.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
We do need shooters and a very strong senior year from Arkel Lamar from 3pt too.

So much of today's game is 3's at all level of hoops...UMBC was ranked #7 in the AE and lose statistically by a pretty wide margin your best 3pt shooter. It's a problem! I suspect Odom knows this and will find something to close the gap there.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
So much of today's game is 3's at all level of hoops...UMBC was ranked #7 in the AE and lose statistically by a pretty wide margin your best 3pt shooter. It's a problem! I suspect Odom knows this and will find something to close the gap there.

Yes, I agree. Even Joe struggled shooting last year. We don’t need three guys to make 90 3pt shots each but having guys that can shoot 38-40% when they have good shots would make a big difference.

Like a KJ Maura type shooter. Doesn’t shoot a ton but makes shots when he has good looks.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Yes, I agree. Even Joe struggled shooting last year. We don’t need three guys to make 90 3pt shots each but having guys that can shoot 38-40% when they have good shots would make a big difference.

Like a KJ Maura type shooter. Doesn’t shoot a ton but makes shots when he has good looks.

Agreed, gotta have someone that can keep the D from packing the paint. UMBC is quite athletic and can attack the rim so you have to have someone that can shake the D lose.

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
I'm having a real hard time thinking about next season without purple and gold glasses. 5 talented starters returning for their sophomore year. At least 2 talented incoming freshman, and development from Clark, Lauderdale, and French.

I see a huge improvement from UA, saying nothing about Jerotic and the two open ships.

I still see another dominant year from UVM, but even if I think conservatively about UA they have to be #2 for next season at the moment.

·
Bill Herrion anti-apologist
2,147 Posts
I think UNH technically returns more this year than they did last year -- and the team nearly won all three of their final three to end the season [this is significant given they won 3 DI games all season].

Maultsby averaged 9 PPG and almost 30 minutes over his final 6. Nick G. shot nearly 50% from 3 in conference. Josh Hopkins hit 37% of his 3's and had a down year. Jayden Martinez barely played after an excellent non-conference slate. Chris Lester shot nearly 50% from the floor and averaged nearly 7 PPG as a C with some unique skills. Mark Carbone shot nearly 40% from 3.

What UNH lacks is someone who can get theirs when the offense isn't working, which is often. Hopkins and Carbone are both guys who can hit open shots, and Martinez and Nick G. need the ball in the right spot to do their work. Lester can dribble but is a 5 man in this league.

Maultsby can get his, but he's a poor shooter. I think if UNH can find a 2 that can be a main option and then add another guard to push Maultsby/add depth they can rise to that 5-6 spot given where Hartford and Maine look to be.

101 - 120 of 171 Posts