Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love what I see!

Though he does look a bit out of control when he was driving to the rim
I guess I can see your point, but he's also 6'8" and still growing which is bound to cause some lack of coordination. Plus he's 18, he'll either learn soon enough or adapt his game to dribble less. I bet he's got better handles than Ryan Davis who's the same size. My point is, I'm very optimistic he'll be a significant difference maker whenever he makes his way into the rotation.

·
Registered
203 Posts
He was at Senior Night this year with his family. I would not say he's 6-10 (unless he's had a quarantine-related growth spurt). He's every bit of 6-8 though, and has long arms.

Even though they are 100% completely different players, I kind of feel the same way about him as I did about Deloney coming in: high ceiling, low floor, look to the future. If you ran 10,000 simulations of his freshman year I think you get some versions where he breaks out early. But I think more likely (especially given our roster construction) that this is a developmental year...adding more minutes as the year progresses, and ready to step up as spaces open up.
Watched the highlights. There is a lot to like. I agree his footwork will need developing. Do believe Coach Schneider will be working on that. Great size and shot. Hope he doesn't fall completely in love with the 3.
This is a terrific get for UVM, someone to help lead them in the new building and keeps the future bright.

·
Premium Member
33,133 Posts
Does anyone know the latest on status of the UVM basketball camps this summer? I believe there's one end of June and a second one first week of August. Typically, the players work these camps so wonder if the camp goes on if players will be back on campus/working them and what's going on with that (?). June not too far around the corner but if campus is indeed opening in Fall, have to imagine the August 3rd camp will happen (?)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I see Deloney starting. The kids minutes increased more and more as the season progressed. He was in lots of games at the end of the season during crunch time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I see Deloney starting. The kids minutes increased more and more as the season progressed. He was in lots of games at the end of the season during crunch time.
Are you predicting that he beats out Shungu for the 2-guard position or that he's the third guard in a 3-guard lineup, displacing Murphy or Andre? I wouldn't think the latter since Andre was brought in last, presumably to address what the coaching staff felt was a key area of need. Shungu's got some liabilities - he's not a great shooter - but he started every game in which he was healthy this season, averaged 24 minutes a game, and was second on the team in rebounding. That and the fact that he's a classic glue-guy in the lineup would be a lot for Deloney to top. But regardless of who's on the floor for the tip, Deloney surely gets a broadly expanded role.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Are you predicting that he beats out Shungu for the 2-guard position or that he's the third guard in a 3-guard lineup, displacing Murphy or Andre? I wouldn't think the latter since Andre was brought in last, presumably to address what the coaching staff felt was a key area of need. Shungu's got some liabilities - he's not a great shooter - but he started every game in which he was healthy this season, averaged 24 minutes a game, and was second on the team in rebounding. That and the fact that he's a classic glue-guy in the lineup would be a lot for Deloney to top. But regardless of who's on the floor for the tip, Deloney surely gets a broadly expanded role.
Yeah as much as I love Deloney, he is going to have to have a HUGE summer to displace Shungu and Smith. The guard position is stacked. Nevertheless, the kid has way too much talent to sit on the bench. I can see him being a 6th or 7th man. Which is I think a role where he will excel given his offensive ability to make things happen. I can see him in a Cam Ward 6th man role. There are just too many guards with too much talent and experience that he is competing against. Its certainly not out of the question. I think he will develop nicely in that 6th man role - not too much pressure, and he can focus on what he does best.

I do love his style and play and can't wait to see him on the court. Maybe we play very up tempo this year?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah as much as I love Deloney, he is going to have to have a HUGE summer to displace Shungu and Smith. The guard position is stacked. Nevertheless, the kid has way too much talent to sit on the bench. I can see him being a 6th or 7th man. Which is I think a role where he will excel given his offensive ability to make things happen. I can see him in a Cam Ward 6th man role. There are just too many guards with too much talent and experience that he is competing against. Its certainly not out of the question. I think he will develop nicely in that 6th man role - not too much pressure, and he can focus on what he does best.

I do love his style and play and can't wait to see him on the court. Maybe we play very up tempo this year?
No way Delaney regularly starts ahead of Benny. Lacks the physicality that sets Ben apart from just about all else on this team and the league. Aaron should be a regular off the bench to provide the kind of spark we saw towards the end of the year. May end up starting if we go REALLY small for certain games.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
I think Shungu and Smith are locks as starters, barring injury etc. Ryan Davis is a near-lock. Other spots are up for grabs I think...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If he returns....and doesn't stay in the NBA Draft (which I don't think he will, but SBU's stuff today who knows)....some people making fake portal rumors however. WTF. Who does this?

For context: my phone blew up by like 6 people saying they "heard he was in the portal" and apparently some jackass made a fake twitter that was a dummy of some legit writer in a few places on multiple accounts. Looks like a few got deleted, but one is out there. It had me fooled for a second until I realized the account was made last month.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I didn't know he is 6' 9". Add Murphy and Davis at the same time and I don't know who in the AE can come close to that size that can score.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,714 Posts
I suspect the top four will contain some combination of Vermont, UMBC, Hartford, and UNH.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I suspect the top four will contain some combination of Vermont, UMBC, Hartford, and UNH.
Based on some very very early observations, this feels right. In alphabetical order:

-Hartford: Lose Ellison & Carter, but return a really good core. I really like Hunter Marks.
-New Hampshire: Without knowing about newcomers, don't really like their depth but their Top 5 are good.
-UMBC: Getting a healthy Lamar & Rogers are basically new additions.
-Vermont: Lamb & Everett > Andre & Murphy, but I really believe they added two starters.

The rest, in alphabetical order:

-Albany: I can't quit them. Another team that can benefit from being healthy.
-Binghamton: I don't really know what to do with you.
-Lowell: Some decent guys, but not enough of them.
-Maine: Lose your two best players, don't know their newcomers, but I think will probably improve.
-Stony Brook: Worst Week Ever. Their newcomers are what will make them either Top 4 or a Long Island Lowell.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,714 Posts
Based on some very very early observations, this feels right. In alphabetical order:

-Hartford: Lose Ellison & Carter, but return a really good core. I really like Hunter Marks.
-New Hampshire: Without knowing about newcomers, don't really like their depth but their Top 5 are good.
-Vermont: Lamb & Everett > Andre & Murphy, but I really believe they added two starters.

-Maine: Lose your two best players, don't know their newcomers, but I think will probably improve.
-Stony Brook: Worst Week Ever. Their newcomers are what will make them either Top 4 or a Long Island Lowell.
Yes you do......:poop:

·
Bill Herrion anti-apologist
2,193 Posts

Just to clarify on UNH -- UNH will return POTY Contender Sean Sutherlin, Nick G., Jayden Martinez, Chris Lester, Marques Maultsby and Josh Hopkins from the 7 guys who actually played last year. They'll also return Nick Johnson (was probably our best recruit coming in but tore his ACL before the start of the year) and Blondeau [not going to bother trying to spell his last name] who looked terrific in a small sample before injuring himself, too. Those eight guys are likely the core of the team next year.

UNH will also have Taylor Mattos [transfer from Bowling Green] and Qon Murphy [transfer from Houston Baptist] on scholarship but ineligible. They are forfeiting a scholarship for the year due to COVID 19, as well.

Not sure what they'll get from their last two pieces. Meekness Payne showed well in a few games last year and is an athletic tweener 4 whom Coach Herrion seemed not to trust a whole lot last year. I think he can be a competent role player but he's largely buried on our roster. UNH also signed KJ McClurg from West Virginia, presumably with the scholarship originally dedicated to Mark Carbone. Looks like a shooter, had some good tape but it's also West Virginia so who knows.

I think all three of Blondeau, Nick Johnson and McClurg have a shot at some PT if any show some shooting acumen immediately. Josh Hopkins was terrible last year and while Maultsby and Sutherlin offer a ton, shooting is not one of them.

241 - 260 of 270 Posts