Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

261 - 280 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Maultsby played a lot better toward the end of last season when his injury had subsided. When he got his legs back his shooting greatly improved and he had a couple of big games, or al least I thought they were big for him. UNH may very well play the dark horse.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Might be something, might be nothing, but NERR released its final 2020 Vermont rankings of HS/prep players. Connor Philbrick of MMU is listed as Vermont with ** next to it. Now, at a minimum one would assume that just means he is walking on or wants to, or maybe he's just going to UVM as a regular student? There's a VT Academy player with the same ** right under him listed for Penn State.

Anyway, Philbrick is 6-6 and was an All-State selection this past year. You can decide whether this is news or not. Feel free to debate what year you all think he'll be entered in the starting lineup and be all-conference, as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Might be something, might be nothing, but NERR released its final 2020 Vermont rankings of HS/prep players. Connor Philbrick of MMU is listed as Vermont with ** next to it. Now, at a minimum one would assume that just means he is walking on or wants to, or maybe he's just going to UVM as a regular student? There's a VT Academy player with the same ** right under him listed for Penn State.

Anyway, Philbrick is 6-6 and was an All-State selection this past year. You can decide whether this is news or not. Feel free to debate what year you all think he'll be entered in the starting lineup and be all-conference, as well.
Someone up there in Vt.should call his high school coach and find out what he feels his potential is ?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
From looking at past rankings, it looks like the usual template for NERR is "School Name, 1 asterisk" means "walk-on" and "School Name, 2 asterisks" means "not playing hoops." That is not 100%: I found an example or two where it didn't quite fit, but it may have just come down data entry on the part of whoever was manning the web site that day. But it mostly seemed to hold. The further down the rankings you get though, the more suspect the info can be at times though.

Unless there was a walk-on from last year leaving, I'd be surprised if UVM took on an additional one this season. Considering all things Covid, even walk-ons cost money and as it is if everyone returns/arrives as scheduled we have 16 bodies. There are some MMU ties to the program: Deng Adiang was there before Vermont Academy, and I believe one of the managers is also a recent MMU player.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
^ Makes sense.

On a sadder, Covid-impacted note. UVM laid off a bunch of low level staffers in the athletic department. Almost no more director of operations roles in any sport left, two sports info spots cut, as well. For men's basketball that's Synder and O'Grady. I'm sure some other AE programs are going to feel it worse. Some might even lose full assistant spots. Wouldn't be shocked either if there were massive pay cuts in coach salaries, either. That was a huge benefit to keeping the men's basketball staff around was that they paid their assistants good money for league standards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would like to hear from an UMBC perspective as well, but open question - would you rather have the long term success that Vermont has had (Good - consistently winning the AE conference, NCAA Tournament appearances, regarded as one of the best mid-major programs. Bad - can't get that signature NCAA win) or the short term success of UMBC (Good - knocked off the best team in the country by 20 points and was the first ever 16 seed to beat a 1 seed. Bad - incredibly pedestrian team overall, hasn't won an AE league title since 2008 or ever produced an AE player of the year).

The publicity that UMBC received after upsetting Virginia without a doubt gave the program a huge boost, but was that short spike more valuable than the sustained success that Vermont has had?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I do not lack empathy by those impacted economically from corona-related damage.....but, jeez talk about sensationalist journalism by BFP.

"SIX HUNDRED POSITIONS AXED AT UVM" [Red emergency light emoji]

Most of these positions were part-time, seasonal positions that paid less than $30k (usually for only 4-6 months of work). These jobs were never meant to be full-time positions that you could support oneself on alone (let alone a family).

Unfortunately, however, I suspect UVM will be making deeper cuts to the much more costly full-timers before the end of the summer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Would like to hear from an UMBC perspective as well, but open question - would you rather have the long term success that Vermont has had (Good - consistently winning the AE conference, NCAA Tournament appearances, regarded as one of the best mid-major programs. Bad - can't get that signature NCAA win) or the short term success of UMBC (Good - knocked off the best team in the country by 20 points and was the first ever 16 seed to beat a 1 seed. Bad - incredibly pedestrian team overall, hasn't won an AE league title since 2008 or ever produced an AE player of the year).

The publicity that UMBC received after upsetting Virginia without a doubt gave the program a huge boost, but was that short spike more valuable than the sustained success that Vermont has had?
In other words, would I be willing to go hungry on a recurring basis in return for one spectacular night out at a 5-star restaurant, or would I prefer the ability to be adequately fed for the foreseeable future? I'll take the latter.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Keep in mind that we beat Syracuse. Granted if you’re below a certain age, it’s less relevant, and it’s clearly not in the same zip code as the history altering win UMBC had. But it’s a signature NCAA win that I’ll take to the grave. If I hadn’t experienced that win, I might feel differently but since that box is checked in my mind, I’ll take the consistency.

The answer also might change a little based on how closely you follow the teams. The casual fan probably wants the bragging rights of being able to say their team did the nearly impossible. But for people like most of us who are heavily invested in the outcome of the December matchup with Rider or Quinnipiac, the consistent success is probably more important long term.

A lot of teams and fans would be really happy with either one.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts

Jon Rothstein

Source: Vermont's Stef Smith will withdraw from the 2020 NBA Draft and return to school next season. Averaged 14.2 PPG last year.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Does anyone know what the “significant local news” that 101.3 is breaking at 3?

Nothing none of us didn't already know and it was more of a ratings ploy since it's covered in the arena thread and apparently based on his replies, it wasn't even breaking news because the UVM student paper had an article on it. But, it's deferment of $30 million of bonds earmarked for the new basketball facility. Construction likely delayed at least a year on basketball side hockey is still going to finish its renovations.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Very encouraging news from Dr. Fauci's congressional testimony today. Says a vaccine should be available by January, if not December--this is well-ahead of the earlier 18-24 month timeline. Moderna and some of the other candidates look very promising.

Basketball is coming back!! Previously I was quite worried the whole 2021 season would be canceled. That said, I'd be surprised if non-conference play is still a go. Or perhaps they'll just push everything back two months to buy more time and accommodate the schools that aren't reopening for athletics in the fall semester. May Madness? I'll take it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
ESPN did a transfer player ranking and none of UVM's guys got a mention (Murphy, Andre or Mazzulla). All four of Stony Brooks' did though.

Stony Brook would have been scary good this year if all had stayed

·
Registered
190 Posts
ESPN did a transfer player ranking and none of UVM's guys got a mention (Murphy, Andre or Mazzulla). All four of Stony Brooks' did though.

Stony Brook would have been scary good this year if all had stayed

I think that ESPN finds mid-major to high-major transfers sexier for their readers than the reverse or than mid-major to mid-major. I agree that UVM fans can be far more optimistic about next winter with SB's four transfers-out.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Becker was on 101.3 on Saturday morning. No big stunning news-breaking revelations, but a couple of minor nuggets...

*When discussing NJIT, did mention that they (UVM) was still looking for non-conference games to fill the schedule, and that the 18-game conference schedule helps them in that regard.

*In discussing Georges Lefebvre, implied that he's grown a little and may be closer to 6-10 now.

*They got a waiver for Justin Mazzulla, so he will be eligible for the entire season as opposed to having to wait until the semester break (assuming there is an "entire season" of course).

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Tobe Carberry moving from Yale to Columbia coaching staff. I guess he was in the "volunteer role" at Yale, but Columbia had two openings since their non-Jesse Agel assistants took jobs elsewhere. Good to see Carberry moving up the ladder though.

261 - 280 of 281 Posts