Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I just got an email from UVM Athletics Director Jeff Schulman inviting me to join (via Zoom) a "conversation with Coach John Becker" next Wednesday, July 29. I expect this exciting invitation was extended to all season ticket holders, Victory Club members, etc. Wonder how many will attend. I'll be working, so not me, but I'll be interested to hear about it afterwards.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just watched a zoom meeting with Coach Becker, intended to update fans. All players are on campus (the only team in the league that can say that, he said) and are working out individually, as is required by NCAA, I believe. Interesting conversations going on with players re expected playing time, possible/likely shortened season, all the unknowns re Covid-19, and possible redshirts this season. Coach B expects to redshirt several and mentioned Robin Duncan, Georges Lefebvre and Isaiah Powell as possibilities - the latter mentioned as the unfortunate recipient last year of a voided redshirt (due to injuries/production issues on the front court, I believe). Lefebvre is said to be very long a with a good foundation to his game, needing work but with lots of upside. Expects very good things from Aaron Deloney and Justin Mazzulla this year. Both Justin and Tomas Murphy are awaiting word on whether they get one or two full seasons at UVM. He indicated the coaches have questions regarding the new bigs, how well they defend and fit into the system but of course, practices will reveal a lot. Stef, Bennie and the returning other players are said to be in good shape. When asked about Nick Fiorillo, he spoke positively about his great work ethic, his physical growth, his entering the program with very limited competition against big, skilled players, then having to practice against the likes of Lamb, Giddens and Ryan Davis. Coach thinks Nick has a good shot at a scholarship in the near future and to be a likely important contributor, if not right away, down the road. No discussion re Duncan Demuth and Eric Beckett. Looking forward to seeing Bailey on the court (fingers crossed) and I wonder about Eric benefitting from a redshirt, given the strong group of guards we have coming back.

The arena build is on hold, it seems, at least for the next two seasons, given the challenging fiscal situation faced by UVM.

Of course, everyone is doing their best to cope with the Covid stuff. Scheduling remains a huge challenge and, right now, the money games at Clemson and Alabama are still on.

This was, if nothing else, a nice little dose of hoops talk, all the while knowing this season could go down the tubes at any moment.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Even though it isn't Maine news, it's nice to actually read about basketball things. I hate it for the arena. Anybody have any current pictures of what the site looks like as of right this minute?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for that. Man, so that is basically going to just be sitting there for maybe a couple of years? That really stinks.
Yeah, I wonder if they'll do some small project just to clean up the site a bit. Looks like Gutterson is going ahead with interior renovations but I'm not sure if the extent has been scaled back or not.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Seriously. That will be quite an eyesore, even when covered with snow. I know it was a small parking lot, but kinda stinks to lose that with nothing taking its' place.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
Reactions: elb33

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just watched a zoom meeting with Coach Becker, intended to update fans. All players are on campus (the only team in the league that can say that, he said) and are working out individually, as is required by NCAA, I believe. Interesting conversations going on with players re expected playing time, possible/likely shortened season, all the unknowns re Covid-19, and possible redshirts this season. Coach B expects to redshirt several and mentioned Robin Duncan, Georges Lefebvre and Isaiah Powell as possibilities - the latter mentioned as the unfortunate recipient last year of a voided redshirt (due to injuries/production issues on the front court, I believe). Lefebvre is said to be very long a with a good foundation to his game, needing work but with lots of upside. Expects very good things from Aaron Deloney and Justin Mazzulla this year. Both Justin and Tomas Murphy are awaiting word on whether they get one or two full seasons at UVM. He indicated the coaches have questions regarding the new bigs, how well they defend and fit into the system but of course, practices will reveal a lot. Stef, Bennie and the returning other players are said to be in good shape. When asked about Nick Fiorillo, he spoke positively about his great work ethic, his physical growth, his entering the program with very limited competition against big, skilled players, then having to practice against the likes of Lamb, Giddens and Ryan Davis. Coach thinks Nick has a good shot at a scholarship in the near future and to be a likely important contributor, if not right away, down the road. No discussion re Duncan Demuth and Eric Beckett. Looking forward to seeing Bailey on the court (fingers crossed) and I wonder about Eric benefitting from a redshirt, given the strong group of guards we have coming back.

The arena build is on hold, it seems, at least for the next two seasons, given the challenging fiscal situation faced by UVM.

Of course, everyone is doing their best to cope with the Covid stuff. Scheduling remains a huge challenge and, right now, the money games at Clemson and Alabama are still on.

This was, if nothing else, a nice little dose of hoops talk, all the while knowing this season could go down the tubes at any moment.
What’s the news on Bailey Patella? Injury or some other issue? First I heard of this.

I was on the call too. Good summary by tizzy. Becker is not afraid to redshirt, even upper classmen. I’m not big on it, but if both sides are in sync, then I guess it can work.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
That article has an interesting he said/he said account. Brady claims it was cuts for COVID. The station manager flat out says low ratings and format (which, why the hell do you admit to that when you have no competition? All that is doing is making your job worse for your marketing and ad sales people).

Sucks for Farkas. It will not be easy finding work right now. He wasn't my particular cup of tea, but at least he put in effort to the job to try and understand the local sports scene. It was hard to take him too seriously in his attempts to be a journalist or whatever because he would report anything, often wrong info, or pass off info that was already reported as his own. I really don't think he, or his formatting as the program manager was the ratings problem...unless the station was upset that he became "woke-ish" in light of George Floyd and wants to align itself with its national programming with right wing goons like Clay Travis?

Station is now left with the loveable longtime local DJ who is just collecting a paycheck (Rich, and good for him lasting this long), and the real reason the ratings suck, but because he's a "national radio personality" somehow, he's still there (Arnie). So be ready for a lot more "Why isn't UVM in the Big East?" or the new one from Arnie "Why isn't Middlebury going D1?" (totally not joking, he actually said that...I went and checked the record of their show uploads after someone told me he did)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
The station went downhill fast when they dropped ESPN and changed to Fox. Clay Travis is beyond awful. Golic and Wongo are likable dopey guys, kind of vapid, but much better than Travis's non-stop right wing drivel. he is so obnoxious.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
That article has an interesting he said/he said account. Brady claims it was cuts for COVID. The station manager flat out says low ratings and format (which, why the hell do you admit to that when you have no competition? All that is doing is making your job worse for your marketing and ad sales people).

Sucks for Farkas. It will not be easy finding work right now. He wasn't my particular cup of tea, but at least he put in effort to the job to try and understand the local sports scene. It was hard to take him too seriously in his attempts to be a journalist or whatever because he would report anything, often wrong info, or pass off info that was already reported as his own. I really don't think he, or his formatting as the program manager was the ratings problem...unless the station was upset that he became "woke-ish" in light of George Floyd and wants to align itself with its national programming with right wing goons like Clay Travis?

Station is now left with the loveable longtime local DJ who is just collecting a paycheck (Rich, and good for him lasting this long), and the real reason the ratings suck, but because he's a "national radio personality" somehow, he's still there (Arnie). So be ready for a lot more "Why isn't UVM in the Big East?" or the new one from Arnie "Why isn't Middlebury going D1?" (totally not joking, he actually said that...I went and checked the record of their show uploads after someone told me he did)

Ditto to pretty much all of this. I don't know the radio business, but somehow having a caricature of a national sports talk host run a local show he seems to have little interest in doing or promoting about area sports he's not knowledgeable of doesn't feel like a successful formula to me. But yeah, let's blame it on the kid.

I've said it before, but the best sports talk host on that station is on 2 hours/week when he's not owning a pizza place. 101.3 needs to rethink some things.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
View attachment 20841

Ditto to pretty much all of this. I don't know the radio business, but somehow having a caricature of a national sports talk host run a local show he seems to have little interest in doing or promoting about area sports he's not knowledgeable of doesn't feel like a successful formula to me. But yeah, let's blame it on the kid.

I've said it before, but the best sports talk host on that station is on 2 hours/week when he's not owning a pizza place. 101.3 needs to rethink some things.
Frankly, we were probably even lucky to have 2 hours dedicated to some token local sports coverage. We'll see what their "new direction" brings. I'm not expecting good results, because they've never really had them. At least there's the BFP and TV stations to give some news coverage...and each other for the hot hot UVM takes...right?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I enjoy Rich and Arnie. Brady seemed like a guy on his way somewhere else (to be expected in a small market).

I don't see how a local show can compete with national shows unless they bring a real local point of difference. The Huddle covers the Celtics, Pats, and Red Sox a fair amount but I wish they would cover Vermont sports more. Rich enjoys Vermont sports but he doesn't have a conversational partner to share with. To enjoy and cover Vermont sports you need to go to the games and be visible and interactive with the community. Maybe Rich could develop some regular guests from the Vermont scene, say high school coaches or super fans, who might be willing to chat with him. I'd put Arnie on assignment and send him out to cover middle school and high school sports, local golf, Bassmasters, etc.. He is a fantastic comic. He just needs some local material.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I enjoy Rich and Arnie. Brady seemed like a guy on his way somewhere else (to be expected in a small market).

I don't see how a local show can compete with national shows unless they bring a real local point of difference. The Huddle covers the Celtics, Pats, and Red Sox a fair amount but I wish they would cover Vermont sports more. Rich enjoys Vermont sports but he doesn't have a conversational partner to share with. To enjoy and cover Vermont sports you need to go to the games and be visible and interactive with the community. Maybe Rich could develop some regular guests from the Vermont scene, say high school coaches or super fans, who might be willing to chat with him. I'd put Arnie on assignment and send him out to cover middle school and high school sports, local golf, Bassmasters, etc.. He is a fantastic comic. He just needs some local material.
Middle school sports coverage?!? Aren't you the same person who gets upset when anyone offers any level of critique on college-aged athletes on-court performance, saying it's not fair to their mental health and yet you want sports talk radio to cover 12-year-olds? Come on. I can save you a copy of the North Avenue News instead of instantly tossing it in my recycling bin if you want to know what the little leaguers and CYO basketball are up to.

Local content takes effort, and I don't ever see 101.3 committing that effort to it, especially not Arnie. That guy couldn't name a single AE conference member outside UVM without having to Google, and I suspect he is not bothered by that in the slightest.

281 - 300 of 307 Posts