Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

301 - 320 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
The ripple effect is what gets crazy. Now, everyone that had recent contact with them (within last 72 hrs right?) has to be notified and I believe they are requested to quarantine. Let's say, Coach X did a workout with this player yesterday. Now, he has gone home and learns of the positive test this morning. Of course, before he found out, he had contact with his wife and kids so now they are involved in the scenario. Not to mention, he had stopped at a friend's house on his way home to chat about plans for the weekend. Naturally, they weren't using masks as they are good friends and both healthy. Meanwhile, his friend went to visit his parents later that evening, along with his wife and infant. Now suddenly they could have been exposed. And oh yeah, his neighbor ran over to bring back the drill he borrowed over the weekend. And so on and so on...

Anyway, you all know how the snowball rolls.

I don't care what safety protocols are in place, you aren't gonna stop people from being exposed no matter what. I know every athletics department is desperate to play intercollegiate sports, but there will be non-stop delays and health concerns everywhere. Just look at MLB right now. I don't see how they make it to the end of August. Too many games being postponed, players getting it and passing it on, etc.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Do we know if these were players, staff members, or if they were just random AD employees not directly connected to the basketball program? For all I know this could be associated with the women's program.

I read the VTDigger story and it didn't go into great detail; I'm sure the reporter wrote down everything he was able to get out of Schulman and Schulman was just tight lipped on the specifics. It sounds like at least one case was tied to out-of-state travel? I really hope this is a wake up call and the administration enacts tough policies to ensure absolutely ZERO out-of-state travel by staff and student-athletes. Can't risk it. This 10-day "pause" will put the team weeks back in terms of readiness and training.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Do we know if these were players, staff members, or if they were just random AD employees not directly connected to the basketball program?
No we don't know their specific roles surrounding the program, but it did say people affiliated with the men's basketball program according to the first article attached in the previous post. Honestly though, it doesn't really matter. It could be the administrative asst and a manager. The same trickle down affect can happen. So many sports teams around the country have been shut down for 10-14 days already once they got back to campus for workouts. Not sure why anyone would think it's going to change.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Long live the American East.

Reactions: Alumni96

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
The American East might be playing next year?*

* if it’s an eSport

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here's some love for Stef Smith.

In addition to Stef, they name the son of Christian Welp, who is at UC-Irvine. I remembere Chris Welp well - a seven-foot German who was a Pac-8? 10? beast at UWash. Sad to hear that he died young - I wasn't aware of that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Roster has been updated with new players and number changes.

Bernie Andre (listed as Grad Student) will wear #2
Georges Lefebrve will take #4 from Robin Duncan who has switched to the #55 previously worn by Deng Adiang who is now #30
Justin Mazzulla (Listed as a Senior) will wear #21
Tomas Murphy (Listed as a Grad Student) will wear #42

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Roster has been updated with new players and number changes.

Bernie Andre (listed as Grad Student) will wear #2
Georges Lefebrve will take #4 from Robin Duncan who has switched to the #55 previously worn by Deng Adiang who is now #30
Justin Mazzulla (Listed as a Senior) will wear #21
Tomas Murphy (Listed as a Grad Student) will wear #42
In addition to Robin Duncan taking a new number, he was talented enough to skip his junior season last year. But he's listed as a junior so maybe just a spot of time-travelling.
SENIOR SEASON (2019-20): Made 31 appearances and earned 10 starts … Scored double figures six times … Had two 13-point efforts against Rider and at Dartmouth … Collected 11 rebounds and dished out seven assists against Lipscomb … Blocked two shots against George Washington and against UMass Lowell … Led all reserves with 80 assists and third overall on the team … Finished third on the team with 28 steals … Ranked second among reserves with a 4.3 rebounding average

FRESHMAN SEASON (2018-19): One of two Cats to play in all 34 games … Earned 22 starts … Recorded his first career double-double with 16 points and 10 assists against NVU-Lyndon … Led the team and ranked 11th in America East with 84 assists … Scored double figures five times … Finished third on the team with 23 steals … Tied for third on the team with older brother Everett in rebounding average (3.6) … Landed on the America East All-Rookie Team … Joined his two older brothers Ernie and Everett as the only brotherly trio to play in the same NCAA Tournament game, second trio to ever start in the same Division I game (vs. UMBC on 1/23/19), and fifth trio to play on the same Division team in the same season

·
Registered
3,769 Posts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Learfield IMG College Names Brian McLaughlin Voice of Vermont Men’s Basketball
PLANO, Texas – Learfield IMG College, UVM Athletics multimedia rights holder, announced today that Brian McLaughlin has been named "Voice of Catamount Men's Basketball" concurrent with the 2020-21 season.

McLaughlin joins the University of Vermont family with a robust play-by-play resume for a young broadcaster, including calling games for the Big Ten Network, multiple Penn State University sports, and working with two minor league baseball broadcast teams. As part of its overall rights relationship with the Catamounts, Learfield IMG College oversees hiring broadcast talent for UVM Athletics.
Kid looks about 14, but must be of legal age, as he is a member of Penn State's class of 2020. No Vermont connections apparent.
Resume: https://901f7b8a-da5a-4be9-a77a-ca4970879d73.filesusr.com/ugd/672132_9e2858b01ab14e919a20647729db0e8a.pdf

Hope it works out well for him and for UVMMBB.

·
Comrade Fox
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
If history is an indicator, he'll be worse than the last guy. Because I feel like every guy has been worse than the last guy for like the last decade.

But in reality I hope he's awesome, because we're the ones who have to listen to him (although I have found I don't actually listen to as many games as I used to with live attendance, road game streaming, etc.).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't know anything about Barstool (other than I would like to be sitting at one at 5 pm tonight) but Jake Marsh, in my opinion, came across as one of the more passionate UVM announcers we have had. I always felt like he absolutely loved the team. As someone who listens to more games than he watches, I hope the new kid brings the same.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a hunch that Lefebvre will be red shirted this year.

Becker never likes to play freshmen bigs, and with the Corona situation it's probably an even easier decision. Anyone else have thoughts?

On a semi-related note, i'm feeling far more optimistic that there will be some semblance of a season this year than I was throughout the spring and summer. Watching all those Texas (ie: hotspot) FCS schools play football last weekend is very encouraging. Similarly, the Big 10 reversing course on their foolish decision to cancel the football season is another reason to cheer.

This of course means we can't follow the Ivy League's zero-risk tolerance precedent. But it seems like the momentum is swinging in favor of slightly increased risk and a semblance of normalcy over suppress transmission at-all-costs; a welcoming development for college sports fans.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Whether there is a season or not: redshirting is a luxury at this level. That always bears repeating. Any potential upcoming season is certainly different than any other, but here's something to consider: if these apparent bubbles are being created for non-conference and conference games so teams can play in a single site safely, it's highly unlikely that there would be a regular cadence to any games, meaning that you're looking at a lot of back-to-back setups in non-conference and possible 3 games in 5 days in conference bubble setups. Injuries, fatigue, and all other factors still apply, and would more in this type of environment because there would be less time between games, so coaching staffs have to be very aware of any kind of load management for its active players, and my sense is this will lead to more teams having to utilize larger benches. Especially if there's a full expectation of completing a 30-game season.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
His dad is an alum. His parents run some nature teaching program at PSU. https://www.shaverscreek.org/about-us/meet-the-staff/

I would like to know what his nature name is since his father, mother and brother go by Goshawk, Loon and Fiddlehead.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
If history is an indicator, he'll be worse than the last guy. Because I feel like every guy has been worse than the last guy for like the last decade.

But in reality I hope he's awesome, because we're the ones who have to listen to him (although I have found I don't actually listen to as many games as I used to with live attendance, road game streaming, etc.).
When you pivot from professional and experienced to cheap out of college labor that you're not actually paying for (Learfield pays them I believe) who only view UVM as a bump in the road (which, it is) this happens. Like you, I really never have to listen to the radio thanks to streaming, but Jake Marsh took the "act like the worst characteristics of Gus Johnson" and injected it right in his veins for every play. Some may call that passion, I call it a quick way for me to change the dial and worry about the score when I get home.

I saw the WCAX piece last week on the women's basketball radio broadcaster, who is actually a woman, from Vermont and how she's one of very few women in the nation doing play by play. Part of me wonders why UVM didn't give her a promotion up to the men's team. Seems a lot more invested in the program than many of its past radio guys have been.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I don't know anything about Barstool (other than I would like to be sitting at one at 5 pm tonight) but Jake Marsh, in my opinion, came across as one of the more passionate UVM announcers we have had. I always felt like he absolutely loved the team. As someone who listens to more games than he watches, I hope the new kid brings the same.
Reasonable minds can differ, but mostly when I heard his "passion" it sent me looking to turn down the "passion" dial on my radio so I didn't blow my speakers.

My favorite Jake Marsh memory (which is not just one memory) is the way you'd be watching a video stream of a road game (where the gyms are quieter), and he was so loud you could hear parts of HIM doing play-by-play in the background of the play-by-play you were actually watching. It would bleed over.

This gives me an excuse to post my favorite joke about television production.

301 - 320 of 330 Posts