Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

441 - 460 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Least surprising news ever. Literally nothing is different today then it was March 11th 2020 with respect to COVID.

Here’s another newsflash: It’s also not going to be any safer on 12/18 for UVM to head to Lowell, MA to play basketball 12/19, either. In fact by then it will likely be even less safe.

The only surprise for me will be whether an AE game gets played this year.
that’s exaclty what i was thinking too which is why I’m so frustrated. I see this is an effective cancellation of the entire season unless NCAA pushes basketball out to the spring.

If this is the case load that requires halting play then we’re never going to play. It’s different because the student-athletes are tested 3x weekly. Why bother testing this whole time anyway if you were just planning on cancelling the season anyway? literally nothing has deviated from the projections. Fauci himself (back in September) said we could expect to see 200,000 daily cases nationally in November.

now we are meeting, but not exceeding, the models and they go ahead and cancel NCAA sports anyway? Come on. Why bother teasing us if this was the risk tolerance threshold. Smh.

oh, and btw my discipline and solidarity in continuing to practice social distancing hasn’t been broken. I will have thanksgiving dinner with my in-state brother and his fiancé, that’s is. I will continue to follow the best practices etc SO WE CAN HAVE THINGS LIKE COLLEGE BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL. So don’t blame this shit on me. I do my part.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
And this came from the governor/state, not UVM itself.
You have no actual proof of this. All the written UVM statement says is after conversations between Dept of Health and UVM. We do not know the nature of the conversation, or Garimella's feelings on the issue (he might have agreed with the state)...what you are saying is still complete conjecture. This of course is reactionary.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I'll just add to what I wrote above. The State of Vermont issued an executive order on Friday regarding sports play. It was restricted only to recreational sports (rec hockey/basketball/bowling, club soccer/indoor practice).

The state has separate guidelines on HS and college sports which they did not amend for Friday's announcement. If this were coming directly from the state as some sort of "authoritarian rule" -- why would this not have been communicated publicly? What exactly changed on Saturday or Sunday? Here are current HS and college guidelines:

These guidelines are fluid, but again why would the state wait until Sunday to tell UVM what to do? What do they have to gain from issuing an executive order that excludes college and high school organized sports specicially while reversing course 2 days later? This is why the idea that it was a "forced" decision which came about from an order that did not force anything upon UVM or HS sports is stupid. Garmella and others might have seen that in the school's best interest, because frankly athletics is not important to UVM right now. Sorry some of you have to learn that the hard way, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's about being responsible and dealing with a pandemic like adults. Realizing that maybe it's in everyone's interested, especially 18y/o kids, to stay healthy and not risk potential death over basketball.

No effect on eligiblity. Pause the program. Stay safe and healthy. Just because we're near 200,000 cases and fitting the model doesn't mean we're doing well. Those numbers were projected that way because things are NOT going well and have continued on that course, unabated for far too long.

Try and have some empathy and put human life above your personal need for entertainment specifically through UVM basketball.

EDIT:

I just want to add some quotes from the Free Press article from Schulman and Garimella.

Garimella was quoted saying it was the "most responsible course of action.", and Schulman stressed, "...prioritizing the health and wellbeing of our student-athletes, as well as that of our campus and community".

Sports are great fun, but not when so much is at risk.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
My approach as a fan at this point is just be happy if an actual game occurs. Vaguely even care about what the outcome of a game is or who is out there playing as this entire season is an asterisk anyways. There’s already now 0 OOC schedule for UVM, which I actually enjoy far more than conference play. There’s not going to be a conference tournament, not going to be an NCAA Tournament. Hope I’m wrong obviously but I just don’t see it.

The NCAA has given winter athletes an additional year of eligibility, hopefully team remains in-tact and many if not all take the NCAA up on it and stay at UVM. Finally, my ultimate/best hope is there’s a vaccine by this Spring and gets into hands of public by this summer if not sooner, and we’ll see a return to some semblance of normalcy by Fall 2021, and real hoops seasons by 2021-22.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's about being responsible and dealing with a pandemic like adults. Realizing that maybe it's in everyone's interested, especially 18y/o kids, to stay healthy and not risk potential death over basketball.

No effect on eligiblity. Pause the program. Stay safe and healthy. Just because we're near 200,000 cases and fitting the model doesn't mean we're doing well. Those numbers were projected that way because things are NOT going well and have continued on that course, unabated for far too long.

Try and have some empathy and put human life above your personal need for entertainment specifically through UVM basketball.
I don't disagree with you. But if other schools (both in and outside the AE) are playing basketball (and hockey) this winter and UVM isn't I'm going to bitch, moan and complain the whole way.

It aint right. Leave the decision up to the NCAA and the conference if suspension/cancellation is the best path forward. Perhaps there will be a snow-ball in the next ten days, but with all the good news on the vaccine front and many Americans simply ignoring Covid these days as they don't want to impact their holiday plans I don't see any scenario where we have the same snow-balling of cancellations that we had in March (unless the NCAA acts on their own).

My fear is UVM will be one of only a handful of schools outside the Ivy League that won't be playing sports this winter. If you can play in Tennessee (worse healthcare infrastructure; more obese/diabetic population at higher risk for complications) you can play in Vermont and New York state.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
You have no actual proof of this. All the written UVM statement says is after conversations between Dept of Health and UVM. We do not know the nature of the conversation, or Garimella's feelings on the issue (he might have agreed with the state)...what you are saying is still complete conjecture. This of course is reactionary.
This. If you're in the camp of "nothing wrong with playing now" then sure, state gov't/health officials aren't necessarily doing you any favors. But I'd be shocked if the biggest drivers of this decision didn't come from within the campus/UVM community, outside of the athletic department.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The NCAA has given winter athletes an additional year of eligibility, hopefully team remains in-tact and many if not all take the NCAA up on it and stay at UVM. Finally, my ultimate/best hope is there’s a vaccine by this Spring and gets into hands of public by this summer if not sooner, and we’ll see a return to some semblance of normalcy by Fall 2021, and real hoops seasons by 2021-22.
Not sure if "Even though our state has lowest Covid infection rate in the country you can't play basketball even though the rest of the Country will be playing" is the message that's needed to keep the athletes at UVM.

We are going to see an exodus over the next two weeks.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This. If you're in the camp of "nothing wrong with playing now" then sure, state gov't/health officials aren't necessarily doing you any favors. But I'd be shocked if the biggest drivers of this decision didn't come from within the campus/UVM community, outside of the athletic department.
Then why are the non-athletic communities at literally every other school (outside the Ivy League, which made the decision in the summer and had to follow through with it as they'd look like a bunch of jerks if they reversed their decision) not pushing for similar suspensions/cancellations?

I really don't see how UVM's academic community/faculty are that different from the plethora of other universities of equal or higher academic prestige. I get the idea we all expect mid-majors like Murray State and UNCG to not let anything virus-related impact their schedule, but other peer schools in our conference? Or within the northeast like BU? No one else has canceled.

If it has to be cancelled, it has to be cancelled and I'll understand the situation. We've already chosen the zero-risk/total suppression policy here in Vermont. I don't agree with it but I get it. But when UVM is the only school in the Country (outside Ivy League) cancelling the season I'm not going to stop bitching about it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The games cancelled were to be played after the students left the campus, and 3 of them were in 'bubbleville' which the school must have thought had adequate safeguards in place or they would not have scheduled it in the first place. How could the school not manage this safely? Basically, if the kids are willing to be quarantined/self-isolate after the games, and there is adequate testing in place before and after the games, it seems to me that this would not have been to difficult to pull of.

Because I am so enlightened (unlike some of you), I will be willing to admit that there may be facts and/or factors I do not know about, but absent those factors, this appears to be yet another heavy handed government move.

Bernie (Andre, not Sanders) is looking like a visionary genius at this point.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You and VCat ought to be careful making him out to be this way...especially when you're willing to admit there may be facts/factors you don't know about.
Why? He does look like he is ahead of the curve. If you know something otherwise, please enlighten me.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Why? He does look like he is ahead of the curve. If you know something otherwise, please enlighten me.
You're assuming it was all his choice. From what I was able to gather that was not the case...and VT Cats Fan was alluding to this as well in the beginning. I don't know what it was, but it does not sound like a "nah, I'm leaving" kind of thing because he learned they might not play 3 games. That's you trying to make the narrative fit your own. They don't have anything to do with one another.

So someone disagrees with you and/or says something you don't like and your response is they should leave. Can you say "close-minded?"
Yeah, and it's funny as hell too because VCat2015 has been acting like a child who was told no by mommy at the store. Also, he's shown his ass in a big way this off season with his "we should have never let this become a scandal" and "rally around the accused player" takes in the Kendall Ware situation. Let's not forget his crybaby talk about seeding all through the regular season after every UVM loss, either. I've seen enough that I can close my mind to anything he has to say. That doesn't mean I'm still not going to have a good time dunking on him.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Why are people assuming that UVM's decision to postpone the season is only related to the state's mandates? Do you know for a fact that there haven't been additional cases within the athletic department? No, you don't - because you would be wrong.

Mr Andre did not leave of his own volition.

Mr VCat, are you honestly complaining about not being able to watch UVM play basketball in the midst of an exploding health crisis? Are you really saying that these student athletes, coaches and staff should be risking their health for your entertainment??? I really hope not. Oh, and one more thing, the Governor's order on Friday, prohibits multi-household social gatherings, so, unless you live with your brother and his fiance...you ARE part of the problem.

I am as big a fan as they come. I'd love to watch the team play, but I also care about the team enough to do what's best for them in the long run.

·
Registered
495 Posts
eah, and it's funny as hell too because VCat2015 has been acting like a child who was told no by mommy at the store. Also, he's shown his ass in a big way this off season with his "we should have never let this become a scandal" and "rally around the accused player" takes in the Kendall Ware situation. Let's not forget his crybaby talk about seeding all through the regular season after every UVM loss, either. I've seen enough that I can close my mind to anything he has to say. That doesn't mean I'm still not going to have a good time dunking on him.
Don't give up on him so easily. I think with a little work (ie - indoctrination) he will come around. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I meant Vermont added over 100 daily new cases (for the first time ever, I believe the number was 109) last Thursday, not 100 for the entire week. 46 new cases today—still elevated from where it was in September and October.

still a far cry from literally every other state (including maine and Hawaii), even on a per capita basis.

if the majority of other AE programs issue similar suspensions/cancellations of play within the next 48 hours I’ll take what I said. But right now it’s literally just UVM and the Ivy League. There are other programs Pausing due to exposure, but no other preemptive cancellations. And this came from the governor/state, not UVM itself.
It'll be miracle if games are played at all this season. And I do NOT have a problem with this, as the priority MUST be the safety of the student/athletes and the larger community. Sure it sucks on a number of levels, but whining because we can't be like Florida, other Mid-Major or Major programs is, frankly, silly. Smartly dealing with this, as we have to date in this state, just reminds me of why I love living in Vermont. I just want these kids to live and prosper well beyond their college careers. May we be so lucky to see them thrive again, safely and in-person, sooner than later.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not sure if "Even though our state has lowest Covid infection rate in the country you can't play basketball even though the rest of the Country will be playing" is the message that's needed to keep the athletes at UVM.
You're just choosing to ignore reality.

The school has stated that these decisions are being made due to their concern over student and community health.

If a student athlete wishes to continue playing basketball at another school, that is their own decision, albeit risky for health concerns.

However, I don't think our concern should be the performance of UVM basketball. You and others are coming off as particularly selfish.

We have the luxury of being alive while hundreds of thousands of people have died as a result of this pandemic.

Why must people people pay the ultimate sacrifice so that college basketball can continue uninterrupted?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mr VCat, are you honestly complaining about not being able to watch UVM play basketball in the midst of an exploding health crisis? Are you really saying that these student athletes, coaches and staff should be risking their health for your entertainment??? I really hope not. Oh, and one more thing, the Governor's order on Friday, prohibits multi-household social gatherings, so, unless you live with your brother and his fiance...you ARE part of the problem.

I am as big a fan as they come. I'd love to watch the team play, but I also care about the team enough to do what's best for them in the long run.
For the record I am not throwing a fit for my own personal entertainment. I'm throwing a fit because UVM and/or the Vermont Dept of Health has robbed the kids themselves of a season they've earned and are entitled to.

Maybe the whole season will be canceled, even for P5 schools. Maybe no mid-majors in the northeast will end up having any semblance of a season but less risk-adverse southern mid-majors and the P5 schools will... who knows. UVM's preemptive decision--before any of their peer institutions made a similar call--was exceedingly cruel to the student-athletes and evidence to support preemptively canceling the season is badly lacking given the protocols already in place. I'm not saying there won't be outbreaks that cause delays/pauses, but those outbreaks would not expose the greater community to any risk given the testing protocols in place and bubble-like separation of athletes from the rest of the campus. Dr. Fauci himself said we can and should have sports with common-sense precautions (separating athletes from the public, routine testing protocols, etc).

Lastly, I live by myself and the governor specifically said those who live by themselves can visit their "immediate family" for thanksgiving. It's one of the exemptions along with those in domestic relationships who do not live together. Believe me, I am not part of the problem. I go above and beyond the rules.

441 - 460 of 503 Posts