Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

461 - 480 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
However, I don't think our concern should be the performance of UVM basketball. You and others are coming off as particularly selfish.

We have the luxury of being alive while hundreds of thousands of people have died as a result of this pandemic.

Why must people people pay the ultimate sacrifice so that college basketball can continue uninterrupted?
1) Again, this is not for me/about any fans. This is about the student-athletes. Both basketball and hockey players. They worked sooooo hard for this. Did everything right and now their season has effectively been canceled based on pseudo-science (the community will never be at risk given the testing protocols that have and will continue to be followed). The athletes deserve to have a season, especially when almost every other schools is moving ahead and not letting Corona rob the student-athletes of what they are entitled to.

2) Luxury of being alive? We have that luxury because we're on our 20's... please we don't need hyperbole. I've sacrificed more than my fair share to "save grandma" (not my grandma, other people's grandparents) already.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For the record I am not throwing a fit for my own personal entertainment. I'm throwing a fit because UVM and/or the Vermont Dept of Health has robbed the kids themselves of a season they've earned and are entitled to.
This is a very valid point. If the young adults (we can call them kids, but they are old enough to vote, serve in the military, etc, so in reality they are adults) choose to play, if the coaches choose to coach, the staff chooses to help with the team, and the refs choose to ref games, and the school has protocols to protect all of the foregoing and the general public (ie - providing proper PPE, testing, isolating the team after games from the general public/study body - which should be doable over the post-Thanksgiving break), then I don't see the problem.

I have no idea what any of the players, coaches, etc want with regard to this. If they don't want to play these games, then fine. End of discussion. If they do want to play, then let them as long as all of the above can be accomplished with reasonable certainty. There is no such thing as a 100% guarantee, but if the powers that be can put them in a position to play safely and they want to play, let them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Keep in mind that we’re probably just at the front end. I’d be pretty stunned if we don’t see more schools and leagues rethinking this over the next 10 days. Especially non conference games. That part never made a ton of sense to me in the first place, as much as I love watching them.

There were a lot of cancellations in college football this past weekend, and I think keeping a season with 300 basketball teams from going off the rails is going to be really hard. Cancellations will snowball.

I do feel really bad for the athletes, mostly because they keep getting whipsawed back and forth. All just part of a crappy situation.

·
Registered
389 Posts
1) Again, this is not for me/about any fans. This is about the student-athletes. Both basketball and hockey players. They worked sooooo hard for this. Did everything right and now their season has effectively been canceled based on pseudo-science (the community will never be at risk given the testing protocols that have and will continue to be followed). The athletes deserve to have a season, especially when almost every other schools is moving ahead and not letting Corona rob the student-athletes of what they are entitled to.

2) Luxury of being alive? We have that luxury because we're on our 20's... please we don't need hyperbole. I've sacrificed more than my fair share to "save grandma" (not my grandma, other people's grandparents) already.
I don't even know how to respond to this.

Life is hard right now for millions of people. Nearly two hundred and fifty thousand people are dead. Saying things like "cancelled based on pseudo-science" and "the community will never be at risk" seems like the real hyperbole to me. Stop projecting!

Is the FACT that a quarter of a million Americans are dead an exaggeration? Are they only pseudo-dead? You cannot reject what's going on, otherwise, it will never end.

Covid has robbed us all of many things and will continue to do so. We're all working to make things better. If you want basketball back, wait. The students and the staff at UVM are qualified to figure this out themselves. They don't need your concern. The more we continue to normalize a pandemic, the longer it will take to be rid of it.

I also want to add that in no situation will my fandom of UVM sports outweigh the health and safety of others. Maybe we can talk numbers VCat. What's an acceptable number of positive cases/deaths in order for UVM basketball to continue operating? My answer is 0. If you can prevent further spread, do it.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

How many of the winter sport athletes have you spoken with before you assumed that they all want to play, regardless of the risk of getting themselves and others sick? Your concern may very well be misplaced in this case. Even with the regular testing and stringent protocols, UVM athletes are still getting sick. Feels an awful lot like projection to me.

Hasn't it been discussed on this forum that this year does not count for eligibility? Are the student athletes really losing much, if they are all getting a "do over" for this year's eligibility?

The virus is robbing people all over the world of a lot more than a basketball season. People that have worked hard and deserved better than being forced to lock down and quarantine AGAIN because a significant portion of the population, say things like "pseudo-science" and refuse to take seriously the risk and consequences of widespread community infection.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
The virus thrives/spreads in enclosed/indoor spaces with stale air that cannot be cycled and in colder temperatures. That’s why more southern/tropical countries have managed through this situation better.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but things this winter are likely going to be how they were back in March/April until vaccine can be rolled out. In case you forgot what that environment was like, just re-read what happened at Patrick Gym in semifinals game against UMBC.

UVM playing basketball or not, while a great leisure activity of interest for many of us and what unites us here, is of very little importance at this time. So, everyone just chill out & stay safe.

Now that all being said, how’s 2022 recruiting looking ;)

Reactions: MileHiCat

·
Registered
619 Posts
I will say this... read Georges Lefebvre's dad's twitter account before you start your "The kids don't care about playing, anyway" narrative.

As long as other schools are still playing (they are) I think it's fair to say every UVM athlete wishes they could also participate. They didn't meet all these rigorous health and safety protocols so they could spend the year hiding in Patrick Gym, taking individual jump shots with their masks on.

I'm not saying the virus is pseudo-science. What's pseudo-science is taking this preemptive measure and saying that the programs (hockey and basketball) put the community at risk when they're are rigorous protocols in place to test/suspend play if there is an outbreak.
AND NEWS FLASH: Many in the community don't care about the pandemic anymore. They're tired and they're no longer willing to practice social-distancing.

And lastly, it's about the kids. That's why I'm emotional. I'll survive another year w/o UVM basketball. This isn't about the fans.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts

Selected quotes from Schulman (emphasis is mine)

---

"it just seemed pretty clear that given, really, the all-out effort that was going on around the state of Vermont to bring the virus back under control, the most responsible thing we could do was to delay the start of our seasons," Schulman told media during a virtual question-and-answer session held Monday.

"Nobody had to tell us this is what you had to do," he said.

"We've told our teams right from the start to be prepared for anything and they have been," Schulman said. "They've been incredibly resilient and selfless in terms of dealing with the circumstances."

Schulman said state officials recognize that the school wants to compete this year and have tried to find avenues to make it happen.

"We're not thinking about canceling our seasons at this point. We've made that very clear to our teams and our colleagues in our conferences," Schulman said.

---

Yes, it's open to interpretation and fluid, but one would hope this will dispel the conspiratorial aspect of some believing that the state is forcing the school's hand by way of an "authoritarian Governor." And, as others have stated, individuals who feel as such might need to do some reflection on where priorities need to be, and where the priorities of UVM has always been in relation to athletics (they are broadly not relevant to the school) and adjust expectations accordingly.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
....and NCAA just sent out an e-mail in regards to changes to the NCAA Tournament. Likely further changes to come.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I will say this... read Georges Lefebvre's dad's twitter account before you start your "The kids don't care about playing, anyway" narrative.

As long as other schools are still playing (they are) I think it's fair to say every UVM athlete wishes they could also participate. They didn't meet all these rigorous health and safety protocols so they could spend the year hiding in Patrick Gym, taking individual jump shots with their masks on.

I'm not saying the virus is pseudo-science. What's pseudo-science is taking this preemptive measure and saying that the programs (hockey and basketball) put the community at risk when they're are rigorous protocols in place to test/suspend play if there is an outbreak.
AND NEWS FLASH: Many in the community don't care about the pandemic anymore. They're tired and they're no longer willing to practice social-distancing.

And lastly, it's about the kids. That's why I'm emotional. I'll survive another year w/o UVM basketball. This isn't about the fans.
Good Lord, I give up with you...

I never said "kids don't care about playing". I simply asked you what your belief that they all are dying to play was based on. Clearly, Georges Lefebvre's dad is now the spokesperson for the team...

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
....and NCAA just sent out an e-mail in regards to changes to the NCAA Tournament. Likely further changes to come.
Yeah, that has its' own thread. Pretty big news when the NCAA completely reorganizes its' biggest event. I think it is something we all expected would have to be done in order to try and complete all the games.

·
Registered
619 Posts
"We're not thinking about canceling our seasons at this point. We've made that very clear to our teams and our colleagues in our conferences."

OK, well call me a cynic but I definitely read that as "We're planning on cancelling the entire season unless a miracle comes in the next 30 days."

Am I misinterpreting something? How can you pause play for a month and then tell people in a straight face that you still want to compete? No, if this is what it takes to delay for a month then you clearly don't want to compete. If you wanted to compete you wouldn't suspend competition when no other school is.

No one is denying the dangers of Covid. We just want to be treated the same way as the rest of the country.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
"We're not thinking about canceling our seasons at this point. We've made that very clear to our teams and our colleagues in our conferences."

OK, well call me a cynic but I definitely read that as "We're planning on cancelling the entire season unless a miracle comes in the next 30 days."

Am I misinterpreting something?
Honestly? Yeah. That's not what they're saying, to me. COVID cases are spiking across Vermont, across New England and northeast as temps drop. I think it's a fluid situation that they are going to adjust to day by day as the data changes. Right now, best course of action is to suspend sports for time being. I'm sure most everyone wants to play and is operating "as if", but the data/facts may change and will have to adapt, and that's just how it is.

I do share your cynicism, in that I do not have confidence basketball will be played, but I'm not emotional about ( I was last March) it as I've had plenty of time to accept it since 3/11/20 and while not an expert, do understand how this pandemic works. $hit is going to remain the same until a vaccine is distributed to the public.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
Let's see just how concerned the university is for student safety when it comes time to collect room and board checks for the second semester.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Let's see just how concerned the university is for student safety when it comes time to collect room and board checks for the second semester.
Although clearly prioritizing money in many situations, I'm not sure how room and board costs relate to student safety.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
I don't even know how to respond to this.

Life is hard right now for millions of people. Nearly two hundred and fifty thousand people are dead. Saying things like "cancelled based on pseudo-science" and "the community will never be at risk" seems like the real hyperbole to me. Stop projecting!

Is the FACT that a quarter of a million Americans are dead an exaggeration? Are they only pseudo-dead? You cannot reject what's going on, otherwise, it will never end.

Covid has robbed us all of many things and will continue to do so. We're all working to make things better. If you want basketball back, wait. The students and the staff at UVM are qualified to figure this out themselves. They don't need your concern. The more we continue to normalize a pandemic, the longer it will take to be rid of it.

I also want to add that in no situation will my fandom of UVM sports outweigh the health and safety of others. Maybe we can talk numbers VCat. What's an acceptable number of positive cases/deaths in order for UVM basketball to continue operating? My answer is 0. If you can prevent further spread, do it.
What fantasy land do you live in? Do you think no one died before covid? Even after there is a vaccine people are going to die from covid, just like they still die from the flu. Your never coming out of that fall out shelter, if that's what your waiting for.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
Although clearly prioritizing money in many situations, I'm not sure how room and board costs relate to student safety.
If they're as concerned for student safety as they claim they are, then they'll be going to full remote for the second semester. Let's just say I'm a little skeptical of their purported commitment to student safety, especially where money is involved. I think they saved themselves a chunk of change by cancelling the non conference games and decided to spin it as a student safety issue. If they proceed with the conference schedule than I'll know they're full of shit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What fantasy land do you live in? Do you think no one died before covid? Even after there is a vaccine people are going to die from covid, just like they still die from the flu. Your never coming out of that fall out shelter, if that's what your waiting for.
This is preventable and carries a high risk of person-to-person transmission.

And you are correct. I am rarely leaving my home and will continue to stay there until the risk is gone for both me and my family. I am very fortunate to be able to work from home. I deeply respect those people who have to make the sacrifice to work close to other people each and every day. I think it's in poor taste to mock those who are trying their hardest to prevent the spread of something potentially deadly.

461 - 480 of 503 Posts