Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

481 - 500 of 503 Posts

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
This is preventable and carries a high risk of person-to-person transmission.

And you are correct. I am rarely leaving my home and will continue to stay there until the risk is gone for both me and my family. I am very fortunate to be able to work from home. I deeply respect those people who have to make the sacrifice to work close to other people each and every day. I think it's in poor taste to mock those who are trying their hardest to prevent the spread of something potentially deadly.
This isn't polio, it's a super flu. This will not be eradicated by a vaccine. It mutates to readily. It has non human reservoirs. Your expectations do not align with reality. I apologize for mocking you, but you need to come to terms with the fact that the virus is not going away. It is here to stay.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
495 Posts
This isn't polio, it's a super flu. This will not be eradicated by a vaccine. It mutates to readily. It has non human reservoirs. Your expectations do not align with reality. I apologize for mocking you, but you need to come to terms with the fact that the virus is not going away. It is here to stay.
Sadly I think this is correct. Unless this thing mutates itself out of existence (which apparently is a possibility with a virus) this is here to stay. That is not to say there won't be periods of calmness, and then a flare up somewhere. In addition, being humans, we easily become complacent, and I can see a future where the vaccine is effective, the virus has subsided and then people don't take that year's (or their semi-annual) shot and then we have an even bigger flare up. We are going to have to learn to live with this.

The good news is that when the real virus arrives (you know, the one that has a death rate of 15% or more) science will save our ass as it will have gotten ahead of the curve with this new generation of vaccines. Plus, we will all still have that 100+ roll of toilet paper stash to fall back on.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
With an additional million testing positive in the last 6 days, hospitals with people on ventilators lying on beds in the hallways, doctors and nurses quitting because they just can't take it any more and projections of 500,000 dead by January 20, I just don't see basketball being an important thing. There were a total of 407,000 US military deaths in WW2. That took 4 years of all-out combat. COVID-19 is projected to be 25% worse in less than a year.

And death, at least immediate death, isn't the only bad outcome from a COVID-19 infection. Medical journals now report that roughly a third of all those who "recover" have lost mental and physical capabilities, probably forever, even if they showed no symptoms.

We are now living through the worst period in recorded history since the Black Death, and some weak, silly, selfish people are whining because there are no basketball games.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
With an additional million testing positive in the last 6 days, hospitals with people on ventilators lying on beds in the hallways, doctors and nurses quitting because they just can't take it any more and projections of 500,000 dead by January 20, I just don't see basketball being an important thing. There were a total of 407,000 US military deaths in WW2. That took 4 years of all-out combat. COVID-19 is projected to be 25% worse in less than a year.

And death, at least immediate death, isn't the only bad outcome from a COVID-19 infection. Medical journals now report that roughly a third of all those who "recover" have lost mental and physical capabilities, probably forever, even if they showed no symptoms.

We are now living through the worst period in recorded history since the Black Death, and some weak, silly, selfish people are whining because there are no basketball games.
That first paragraph is a little overdramatic. Anyway, my comment is to the bold print in the 2nd paragraph. I really hate when these types of things are mentioned. At worst, this thing has been around since last November/December so maybe, maybe a year. There is no way in hell someone can positively say that they have lost mental or physical capabilities, probably forever. There is absolutely no way of knowing that. And what capabilities are we talking about? Each day I grow older I swear I'm losing my memory and have a harder time recalling things...and I'm only around 50. While I take this whole thing very seriously and feel we all need to take precautions with masks, social distancing, etc, it's things like this that are just trying to put fear into people. Come on. If you are living in fear all the time, are you really living? And this isn't really directed at you, NotDeadYet, but more in general. As was mentioned earlier, this is something we are just going to have to live with as it is not going anywhere.

FYI, my wife is a nurse as are other people in my family, located in big hospitals around the country. None of them are reporting the stuff you mention in the 1st paragraph. Sure, maybe it is happening in some spots, but it isn't like this is a national phenomenon.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts

I guessing there are more than a few Jewish people who would disagree with your historical assessment.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Umainealum - I only reported what I read in some respected medical journals which were sent to me by my daughter, who is on the teaching staff at Harvard Medical School. Perhaps you are okay with waving your hand and dismissing what is the closest thing we have to the truth of the situation, but I'm not.

Every day there are many people who have their mental and physical capabilities tested. Some have had COVID-19 and have been retested. The results are statistically significant that many of these people have lost ability in a very short period of time.

As far as being over dramatic and looking to install fear goes, my intention was to put the lack of basketball in perspective. That people are dying at a rate greater than they did in combat during WW2 is a statement of fact. Some people on this board still consider this epidemic to be a trivial matter and I would prefer that they take it seriously, so that I have someone to laugh at when basketball does resume.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
Your use of WWII as a point of comparison for this is incredibly inaccurate and off base, and quite frankly distasteful. The death rates of the two are apples and oranges.
Have your daughter send you some articles on the physical and psychological effects of isolation and fear. That might give you some perspective on why people might be upset at a lack of basketball and what it represents to them (normalcy).

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
Brendan Barry was just announced to be graduating and attending Temple. So I'd think as long as they graduated and can get enrolled for the second semester that they'd be eligible. From a team perspective, I have no idea if that's something they'd want. Still losing an expected contributor might make them more inclined if the fit is right.
And another Ivy league grad transfer at the semester break. Although I expect he'll likely go somewhere closer to home, he has the 3 pt shooting ability UVM could use.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Umainealum - I only reported what I read in some respected medical journals which were sent to me by my daughter, who is on the teaching staff at Harvard Medical School. Perhaps you are okay with waving your hand and dismissing what is the closest thing we have to the truth of the situation, but I'm not.

Every day there are many people who have their mental and physical capabilities tested. Some have had COVID-19 and have been retested. The results are statistically significant that many of these people have lost ability in a very short period of time.

As far as being over dramatic and looking to install fear goes, my intention was to put the lack of basketball in perspective. That people are dying at a rate greater than they did in combat during WW2 is a statement of fact. Some people on this board still consider this epidemic to be a trivial matter and I would prefer that they take it seriously, so that I have someone to laugh at when basketball does resume.
I'm not sure where I appear to say I'm dismissive of the situation. Far from it. But I also choose to not live in fear of it. My kids, one a junior in college and the other a junior in high school, had a great deal of angst when it was unclear if they would have any in-person education this year. The thought of being isolated (sure, there is zoom but come on...) brought my daughter to have some anxiety. If my son didn't have soccer (mind you, he is a straight A student taking all AP level courses), he would most likely have had some major anxiety issues as well. I don't dismiss this at all, I understand it is a very serious situation. That said, I'm also extremely concerned about what is going to happen to every single one of us if we are told to stay home again for another 2 weeks or a month. I have a friend in her early 50's and she is already struggling a great deal with what is going on right now. Kids (and humans in general) are a social creature. We cannot live in fear and I feel the way you phrased what you wrote was done in such a way to dramatize the whole situation. I can point to hundreds of hospitals that aren't dealing with the situation you described. Sure, there are some in parts of Texas that are overcrowded. But that is far, far from the norm.

Anyway, I would appreciate you not saying I am being dismissive as that is just not correct at all. However, living in a state of fear is not the way to go about dealing with something like this. Being cautious is a must, but being afraid is not.

·
U of AZ 72
67 Posts
I don't think anybody here is taking Covid lightly and everybody here is trying to do what's right . There are different opinions and that is alright. It is ok to question decisions that others make for you because they are not always right for a variety of reasons. I am not making a judgement on whether the season should be cancelled or not and take Covid seriously but have read enough to question some of the statistics and decisions affecting our lives .Look into it yourself as there are many reputable people who have reservations about the statistics being used and the manner of coding Covid numbers. Mark twain said there are three kinds of lies. " Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics. " In other words they can be very misleading. We can take all the precautions we want individually but forced lockdowns have many health and economic consequences many of which we haven't seen yet.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
And another Ivy league grad transfer

Brown senior forward Tamenang Choh is entering the transfer portal, source told ESPN. He'll be a graduate transfer. https://t.co/Cp6ywNCt7H

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Maybe we can get Jerome Desrosiers from Princeton- he's from MTL so would be close to home(?) I'd take Azair Swain in a second and Paul Atkinson, but he could go play at any school in the country.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
lmfao, none of those yale guys would ever come to UVM.
Lol, you think? Maybe playing a schedule that consists of double headers vs the AE not going to be too attractive to say the least.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Lol, you think? Maybe playing a schedule that consists of double headers vs the AE not going to be too attractive to say the least.

Also, further to this I'm not even advocating for UVM to take on any grad transfer for this season to replace Andre's vacated spot. Sure, always looking to add talent and it would have been great to see Andre play- who doesn't want a double-digit D1 scoring transfer- but honestly, a grad transfer into this kind of season, where the range of games played is going to be anywhere from 0-maybe 20 or so, almost doesn't do anything and you've got a guy playing in front of younger players that can use the time. I'd rather see minutes go to Powell- it's a perfect scenario to really give him an opportunity and see what he can do or become- and then Patella has obviously earned some additional time. Both would have been playing behind Andre.

Separately, with NCAA granting an additional year of eligibility to players, does anyone know details/mechanics of that and it's probably too early, but I wonder if UVM knows who has indicated they would come back/take NCAA up on it? At this point no matter what happens, this year is already kind of shot in many respects. A lot of unknowns/question marks but I'd be curious. I know it wasn't an option last year and kids played entire season except for NCAA Tournament, but this year obviously much different when material amount of season not even happening.

Reactions: LakeSinclair

·
Comrade Fox
1,908 Posts
Quick alumni note - Trae Bell-Haynes is killing it in his first two games with Crailsheim in the Basketball Bundesliga (GER).

First game of the BBL season, 84-66 win over Mitteldeutscher BC: 23pt (game high), 9 ast, 6 reb (3 offensive!), 5/8 from the field and 13/15 from the line.

Yesterday, in his second game, a 101-96 win over Bamberg (a powerhouse in Germany over the last decade or so), he was even better: 30 pts (game high again), 12 ast, 4 reb. Only 2 turnovers on those 12 assists, and he went 4/6 from 3 and 12/12 from the free throw line.

He was also solid in their 3 games in the BBL-Pokal, where he averaged 17.3 pts, 5.7 reb, and 8.7 ast, though Crailsheim finished third in their group at 1-2 after losing a close opener to MBC where TBH led the team in points, assists, and rebounds

Fun side note: he's not the only alum of an AE school on his team, thanks to the conference move this summer! Tim Coleman was NJIT class of 2017.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Additionally, it seems Lamb just signed a contract with the Detroit Pistons.

481 - 500 of 503 Posts